What side of the island is best for us?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Corinne L

What side of the island is best for us?

Post by Corinne L »

I don't think this question has been asked before.
I've been reviewing all the great information here but need some help narrowing down what area/village would be best for us.

We'd like to stay in an apartment/cottage/b+b type place that's reasonably close to the beach (on it would be even better!) and also within walking distance to restaurants/bars. We do cook some of our own meals usually (so a kitchette would be needed) but also love to go out at night and check out the local scene, so to speak. (Not to party, just to hang out and have a few cold ones). :lol:

We don't dive, but do like to snorkel. I'm not sure if there are any beaches where you can snorkel right from shore, but if there is someplace close to that would be nice.

Our budget would be in the $50 to $100 U.S. range per night.

Can anyone recommend something that fits the bill?

Thanks,
Corinne
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Corinne

If you want to be within walking distance of beaches, shops and nightlife (what little there is) then you are going to need to stay in the Crown Point area.

If your budget runs to hiring a car (highly, highly recommended) then almost the entire island opens up to you. I can then only suggest that you study this site, read our listings and see what takes your fancy. Then you can come back here with any specific questions.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Fifield

Post by Steve Fifield »

I prefer the North, and east from Crown Point too. There are plenty of self catering accommodations in the listings pages, as steve says, within your price range I'm sure.

Steve F.
Corinne L

Post by Corinne L »

Well, after reading dozens of reviews, I'm more confused than ever. :lol:

Actually, I think I have crossed Crown Point off my list - if my research is correct, it appears the closest beaches are Store Bay, which looks kind of crowded in the picture, and Pigeon Point, where you have to pay to sit on the beach. The Crown Point Beach Hotel does look nice though - which beach is it on? If you stay there, can you access Pigeon Point without paying?

I'm thinking Castara looks nice - the beaches look pretty and from what I've read there are a few places to eat out that are mostly casual, which is what we're looking for.

Charlotteville also looked interesting - again, nice beaches and few places to eat. Although it appears to be a little isolated. We'd be interested in going to Sunday School, and I'm wondering how long of a drive it would be to Bucco, especially in the dark?

We'd like to rent a car and explore the island one or two days, take a sailing trip, snorkel (we have our own equipment), visit the rainforest, take in Carnival and spend the rest of our time letting sand gravity take over.

Do these locations on the island meet those requirements? I hate to analyze it too much, but as the saying goes, location, location, location.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Corinne

Store Bay and Pigeon Point are both 'crowded' beaches in comparison to all the other beaches on Tobago. The Crown Point Beach Hotel is next to Store Bay.

Under no circumstances would I recommend that you try to access Pigeon Point without paying. You can quite legally walk up the beach, but if you do so and are not wearing the correct armbands, you are likely to be serverly harassed by the Club Pigeon Point guards. Technically they have no right over you while you are on the beach - only if you pass the first palms and step onto their land - but in reality they consider the entire area and surrounding sea their own property.

Castara and Charlotteville and both lovely villages. I only know the latter really well, but I shall be changing that this coming January with a week in Castara. Yes, the restaurants are casual - but so they are throughout the island (obviously the more up-market the restaurant, the more elegantly casual the dress).

Castara is probably a 35-40 minute drive from Buccoo in the dark. Charlotteville would be a couple of hours.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

The Naturalist Beach Resort is right on the beach in Castara. Each room (there's five) has A/C, a kitchenette, and bathroom. The family rooms have a queen-size bed and a sleeper-sofa. These cost between $50US-$55 a night. They will do you a full breakfast for $6. Nothing fancy, but very clean and comfortable.We're going in February & I've heard nothing but praise for the place. There's a number of restaurants and bars in the village.
Corinne L

Post by Corinne L »

Thanks Joanne. I'll give it a closer look. By Naturalist, I'm assuming that's referring to nature and not "nudist"? :o

Never mind, I was just on their site and see it's referring to nature. :D

Return to “General Accommodation”