1st Visit to Tobago / Weddingmoon

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 04 February 2003

i've never been to tobago, but we're considering a 10-day wedding/honeymoon for nov.2003 in tobago. we're looking for 2 places to stay, 1 for the wedding (with our families and friends), and another just for the 2 of us. so far, i've been referred to stonehaven villas, palms villas and blue waters. any opinions on these these, or would coco reef (or something else) be our best choice?

thanks.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Kevin

My wife and I were married at the Stonehaven Villas Club house with high stunning sunset behind us in September 2002. We then had a reception meal/party on the pool verandah of Villa number 2 there - best view of all. A week in the villa was a taste of true luxury and a wonderful honeymoon - plus in November you can haggle low-season discounts with the Manageress Wasipha (who was also our wedding planner and highly efficient/a lifesaver). Nothing was ever too much trouble. We had a wonderful, memorable wedding and honeymoon, and so did our 30 guests. One group of the guests thought the villa/views so wonderful that they are renting one in September this year too. The maid was unobtrusive and if you want time alone she will make you breakfast, leave it in the fridge for you and go. Have fun

Glyn and Caroline
Glyn Kirpalani
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Glyn. We were actually considering Stonehaven; the prices seem very reasonable, especially in Nov. Was your wedding planner from Stonehaven directly? When you get a chance, can you fill me in on a few things such as the food arrangements, things to do, distance to beaches? thanks
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 05 February 2003

Hello again Kevin.

Wasipha Khan, the manageress, was our wedding planner and the charge was fixed and reasonable, circa $600usd (and we got our money's worth as the wife sent endless emails with requests). WK organised the steel band, hairdresser incl rehearsal (Coco Reef stylist Yvette), nail salon, flowers from Trinidad, priest and wife (top photographer) Brent and Christine Hart, transport, etc. Catering was superb, since the Club-house chef cooked in our own villa kitchen (huge), the staff from the club-house served it all up and ran the bar, all at no extra charge beyond the cost of the food and drink (the latter sale or return but there wasn't much left!). Obviously they cleared up after, next day, including all the special furniture brought in for the night. My only criticism was that the bar staff were slow pouring drinks for guests and in hindsight we should have told people to help themselves during the meal itself as well as being served. The steel pannist was excellent and good value. The food was a la carte, with three choices for every course but we had to canvas our guests in advance to pre-order (Wasipha will provide you nice custom printed menus to include with your invites)

One advantage is that the villas are huge (four a/c bedrooms if you use the maid's ensuite room too) so your guests can fill the other villas for a very low price, much cheaper than a 4* hotel when the bill is split between 5-7, and more private/luxurious. Stonehaven Bay Beach is a 5 minute walk to underneath the cliff where the villas are and is also used by two hotels - still quiet though. However, you are away from the Crown Point bustle whilst perfectly placed to pop up to the best Caribbean beaches such as Englishmans Bay. Neighbouring village Black Rock is cute, with a couple of bars/restaurants.

Don't forget to ask WK for one night free every seven, and haggle for a further discount - she knocked 10% off for us and if there is another war this year there will be cancellations... If your guests need a nice cottage to rent get in touch with me - as we have a holiday home there called Carlyn Lodge (Steve will tell me off for advertising now, but it is on this site!). We just bought a car and pool to offer with it too. That's not why I am replying by the way - we really would love to own one of the Villas at Stonehaven, but don't have a spare million! Note that we are talking about that complex, which is different from Stonehaven Villas. Our actual ceremony was down at the Club-house by the infinity pool, where WK organised rows of chairs etc. If it had rained she had organised a back up area just under cover of the patio.

Regards
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kevin Although most villas/hotels will arrange things for you, I think its far too important an event to leave to chance. I would strongly recommend that you contact Marie Dilworth who runs Tobago Weddings (http://www.tobagoweddings.com). She is a professional wedding co-ordinator. As regards accommodation, it depends very largely upon your preferences and budget, but solid personal recommendation, such as Glyn has already given, is always invaluable.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kim Styles

24-05-03 Weddingmoon

Post by Kim Styles »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 06 February 2003

Hello Glyn,

Thank God for thissite- I amgettign married at the Coco Reef (never been there) have been to Tobago and lived in Trinidad 13 yrsago.... I need help! I need a florist as I am being charged stupid money for thatand a cake. Also determined to get a good photographer!!! So any numbers would be much appreciated. What are the rates on your holiday home..may have some people in need!

Regards, Kim
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

24-05-03 Weddingmoon

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Kim.

Our flowers and cake were sourced by the villa manager/planner - no idea of suppliers. She did say that Trinidad was best for flowers, so have a look at http://www.trini.com or search for the Trinidad Yellow pages. Try the Best of Thymes Restaurant for a cake - famous for baking and you should be able to find contact details on this site or the web. Our photographer is called Christine Jackson Hart 868 6393253 or email: [email protected] She is so good that one couple flew her to their wedding in London. Her husband does a mean Priest, if you know what I mean! Very natural and warm ceremony. Pass them our best wishes please. I will email you privately re Carlyn Lodge, as I do not want to try Steve's patience with too much advertising! It is listed here though in cottages. Coco Reef is stylish and pleasant, best of luck,

regards Glyn and Caroline
Glyn Kirpalani
Kim Styles

24-05-03 Weddingmoon

Post by Kim Styles »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 11 February 2003

Have had the flu- and just saw the info on photogrpaher it ismuchappreciated. - thank you Glyn...sorry your email on the lodge did not get to me could you resend it.

Kim
Monica

Post by Monica »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 06 March 2003

Accidentally found this site. This brief note comes from my work computer. My husband I are very familiar with Tobago. We've thoroughly researched the island as we hope to move there in about a year or so. (We plan to live in Trinidad at first, since my Mum is still there). The Kariwak Inn in Scarborough might fit the bill for your wedding: it's near the airport, has beautiful grounds, lovely cabanas (with thatched roofs), pool, holistic spa, and the food---- it's marvelous, homemade by the owner, herb garden onsite, etc. etc. "Tres Martha" Check their website. You are sure to find their address if you search for "Kariwak". If you'd like more comments on Tobago, you may reply to the address listed and I'm sure my husband will reply (he's retired) and lovvvvvvves Tobago!! (He is from Montana, U.S.A.)

Monica
[email protected]
Monica

Post by Monica »

Kariwak Inn is in Pigeon Point and is near the airport and beaches; had a senior moment with the first posting. Sorry. Monica

Return to “General Accommodation”