Searching for the quiet beach cottage

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Rob Stone

Searching for the quiet beach cottage

Post by Rob Stone »

We, 2 couples, are coming to Tobago in late March, early April, looking for a beach cottage or appartment in a quiet spot, please no jet skis, but with access to snorkeling, windsurfing, and hiking. Any suggestions?

Rob and Karen
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Rob

Welcome aboard!

Your question is rather too general. What sort of budget? Where on the island? I suggest you wade through our Accommodation listings looking for the type of property that might fit your pocket and preferences, then come back here with specific questions.

By the way, Jet Skis are as god as unknown in Tobago - the seas are far two choppy. There's only one or two on the island, as far as I know.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Rob,
Not cottages but Bluewaters Inn has a couple of bungalows very quiet plus the use of hotel facilities if you want.

Regards
Kevin
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Well ... it has to be the Naturalist Beach Resort in Castara ...

• Right on the beach ... literally !
    Quiet
    No Jetskis
    Snorkelling ... swim about 30 yards
    Hiking ... to Castara Falls, the Rainforest, Coast Walks (and there are guides)
Unfortunately, there is little windsurfing ... the Buccoo area is best for that.

But you won't get the much sought after Sea View Room because I will be there .... HA HA !!

The Blue Marlin Room may be available ... bit more pricey, but actually ON THE BEACH.

But seriously, you can do most things from anywhere on Tobago.

I am very biased of course.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Sally

Post by Sally »

What about Footprints Eco-Resort? They have several different cottages or they have a few rooms in one building right on the beach. The place is very secluded, has 2 pools, a very good restaurant, hiking trails, and it's on the beach. The individual cottages are isolated and each has its own pool/jacuzzi. We were there in June, and loved it! I think at least one of the cottages has 2 bedrooms and a beautiful view of the sea. There is a walking path from the cottage to the main part of the resort. It's all very rustic, but classy.
Graeme Fraser

Post by Graeme Fraser »

Hi Paul,
I have been investigating the Blue Marlin with interest as a nice accomodation for my wife and two kids. Is it noisy at night with the cafe underneathe it?

It seems cheaper than the Rainforest apt. at Castara Retreats. How do these two venues compare?

Thanks for the advice.

Graeme
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Graeme

I hope you are going with your wife and 2 kids !!!

I cannot say about the Castara Retreats but never heard a harsh word.

The Blue Marlin is right on the beach ... it is quite spacious and has stunning views of the beach, the village and the coastline to the west.

There are large shutters in the windows to allow sea breezes to waft through the room.

I doubt if there would be much noise from the juice bar below and if there is you are just as likely to hear it from other apartments in the Naturalist Beach Resort.

I guarantee that you will hear the constant crashing of the waves over any other noise ... the ambience is quite awesome.

The only negative that struck me about the Blue Marlin was the exposure to the beach ... although the views are beautiful, everyone can see you up on the porch which some may not like ... but I would happily be there if it was not a little beyond my affordability.

If your children are very young I would recommend the Sea View Porch Room rather than risk them climbing up and down the stairs to the Blue Marlin.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Jane Harvey

Beach House in Castara

Post by Jane Harvey »

If a beach location and private accom is what you are looking for I would
think that the Beach House is the place for you, it is on the beach, built in the trees, the details can be found on this site. I stayed there this time last year and thought it was the most beautiful location I have ever seen.
It is located at Little Castara and most days we had the beach to ourselves, there is also a small beach bar/restaurant right on this tiny beach, pure heaven in my opinion. In fact I loved Castara so much I am returning in 4 weeks time to spend new year at my favorite place.
Diana Clarke

cottages by beach

Post by Diana Clarke »

If you want to try charlotville look for Man O war cottages, right on the beach. We have stayed at Cholston Villas which is a small complex of holiday apartments just oposite the beach and above the jetty, very clean with a wonderfull view of the sea. The beautifull Pirates Bay is just a little bit further up - we are off there on Saturday, can't wait !!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Rob,how about Sea Breeze apartments on Heavenly Bay Castara(was known as Little Bay),built into the cliffside,the balconies overlook the beach,which is about 15ft below and an easy walk.There is a small coral reef about 30yds off shore,and a terrific bar/Restaurant(the Boathouse),renowned for it's lobster!The apartments are operated by Ali-Baba's tours.
David from a sunny Castara.

Return to “General Accommodation”