Preparing a backpack holliday at Tobago

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Décio

Preparing a backpack holliday at Tobago

Post by Décio »

Good Morning all,

I'm very surprised about what I read about Tobago.
It seams to be a nature paradise (like almost all Carabean) but in many aspects almost unspoilt. Nowadays is dificult to find a place with happy people, safe, quiet and very natural. I'm really amazed about this Island! It seams to be one more great discover for me and my girlfriend (the last one was the Island of Príncipe at São Tomé e Príncipe, África).
We are really nature addicted but we have allways an huge request... low budget accomodations. That's right, we would rather spend our money on excursions, diving and whatever, than sleeping :-)
Unfortunatelly, this time we just have one week vacations (we are very sorried for that)... we hope that would be enough to find the greatest attractions of Tobago and to make new friends, as we usually do.
We would like to get any help on some questions:
- It's possible to land on Tobago on February without any accomodation reservation and to found it at the place? It would be easy? Please have in mind that we search low budget rooms, near magnificient coco beaches :-)
- Could any one give us oppinion about places to stay, perhaps one in carabean side, and other on atlantic side, with rates?
- There are motocycles for rent at Tobago?
- I read about Naturalist beach resort, is that a nice and cheap place to stay?

We have much more questions, but if someone could help us with this ones, it would be great!

Congartulations for this forum, it's an very good way to get information about an Island that seams very spectacular!

Regards,

Décio
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Décio

Welcome aboard!

Yes, it is always possible to find lots of local accommodation, even at busy times of the year. There is now a shortage of high quality hotel beds, but a surplus of low-budget local accommodation.

Have a look through our accommodation listings to find suitable places. Your idea of "low budget" could be different from somebody else's.

Small 100cc motorcycles are available from Sheppy Car Rentals. He is located next to the airport. I think cost is about US$117 per week.

The Naturalist Beach Resort is very popular but I don't know if you would describe it as "cheap".

Hope these answers help a little.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Décio

We will be there...

Post by Décio »

Thank you Michel,

with your assurement that we won't have problem getting accomodation, we will be there almost for sure at beginning of February, you told what i needed to heard... a positive thinking is great!!
Please fell free to send any contacts of family rooms for rent or for any other cheap solution.
I know that Tobago would prefer tourists who can afford five stars hotels. But I would like to feel that Tobago is a Paradise for anyone!

Regards,

Décio
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Décio,
I'm not sure that Tobago has a preference for 5 star tourists, they often stay in or near the hotels and don't put as much money into the local economy as people like yourself who travel round eating where the locals eat.

One thing I will say is that wherever I have gone on Tobago the locals are really pleased to see you, it is one of the friendliest places I have ever been.

Regards
Kevin
Décio

Friendly people

Post by Décio »

Hi Kevin,

that was one reason to chose Tobago. I had made some research and found the people very friendly. If we want to be with locals, we must find hospitality.

Regards,

Décio

Return to “General Accommodation”