Trinidad accommodation

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Liz W

Trinidad accommodation

Post by Liz W »

This is a long shot - but someone might be able to help! The Americans who are joining us in Tobago in February are going to have to overnight in Trinidad on the way out and also on the way back (they don't have the world's favourite airline!) I was wondering if anyone else has had to go through that experience and could recommend, and I quote "cheap and clean and not sharing with critters that have more than two legs"!

Any ideas??

Also, they are now going to risk the drive to BWI since they will arrive in daylight - any comments on car hire companies from the airport?

Liz W
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Trinidad accommodations

Post by Joanne Green »

Dear Liz,

Have them contact Leo's Place, which is a B&B near the airport. Yes Tourism recommended them. Their website is: [Editor: broken link removed] They have 5 rooms. 3 are twins, with pvt. bath and airconditioning. They are $50US per night.
For $15US, Leo will pick you up from the airport.

Yes Tourism are the people to contact for a car. They are a middleman service and deal with about 5 different car hire firms. You don't pay extra for their service. Check out their website: http://www.yestourism.com.
Liz W

Trinidad Accommodation

Post by Liz W »

Hi Joanne

Many thanks for that. We will give it a shot. Funnilly enough my friends (who usually live in Phoenix) are in Ohio this week-end!! I know it's a big place - but what a coincidence!!

Regards

Liz
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

Hi,
I noticed that your Arizona friends have to overnight in Trinidad on the way back. I don't know which airline they're using, but if they are traveling on American Airlines, they might want to know that AA has a flight leaving POS at 3 p.m. (We won't get home to the Boston airport until nearly midnight, but then we don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to catch the 8 a.m. flight.) We're taking the 3 p.m. flight so that we can spend the last night in Tobago.
Liz W

Post by Liz W »

Hi -

I think they're on Continental, but I'll get them to check out the AA option.

Many thanks for that.

Liz W
Cornelia Montgomery

Do any of participants here from T&T know what happened to the Piarco International Hotel? We've been quite happy overnighting there for the past few years, but it seems to have gone out of business. It was clean and comfortable, and had a restaurant that was open until 11 p.m. for those of us who only get pretzels on the leg from Miami to POS.
I'm so curious as to why it went out of business. We often saw flight crews checking in.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

for accomodation in trinidad check [email protected] her name is simone and she might even know mora about the crown point hotel. we only hear the roumours here...and they say itis closed down for good...
hope you poor americans find a good way to reach us here, with as little stress as possible!!! :wink:
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Sally

Post by Sally »

We had to find a place to overnight near the airport before our flight to Tobago, and it's nearly impossible. We ended up at the Airport View Guest House, and it was a dump! There really aren't any other places nearby. The Piarco Airport Hotel has been bought by some big company for the exclusive use of their employees. It looked like a nice place, but not available for the general public. To find a decent place, you may have to go a ways. We spent one night in a guest house in Arima. It was OK, but I can't recall the name. I could probably find it, if you're interested. Good luck!
Sally

Post by Sally »

I don't understand--what's the risk to driving to BWI?
Cornelia Montgomery

Hi, Sally,
I didn't post about the "risk" of driving to BWI, but I can imagine that the drive might be a challenge for some Americans just off the plane who have to adjust to driving on the left and on some narrow, twisting, mountain roads all at once.
The first time I drove that route, my knuckles were white around the steering wheel for part of the time. (Some of the controls are reversed too from what I'm used to -- I often signaled for a turn by turning on the windshield wipers, startling myself.) But now I'm an old hand ....
How bad was the Airport View?
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Sally,
The risk of driving to BWI is you may not arrive.

Most of the UK flights get in around 5pm so by the time you have sorted your hire car and set off it’s about 6, which sounds OK but with the time difference it’s about 11pm on the body clock. The drive is about 1/1/2 to 2 hours and once you get past Scarborough the road narrow even by some UK standards with a lot blind and hairpin bends, to cap it all sunset is about 7pm so you'll be driving the worst bit in the dark.

Taxis are cheap why put yourself through all the stress.

I've been a few times and I still get a taxi.

Regards
Kevin
Liz W

Post by Liz W »

Thanks Kevin - I was beginning to have my doubts! In fact our Americans are arriving in the morning so are happy to do the drive to BWI - we will go by taxi for sure - as you know, I share your views about Caribbean roads in the dark! This whole topic started when I enquired about places for the Americans to stay in Trinidad as flights from Phoenix don't allow them to do the trip in a day . . . . . . . . .

All the best

Liz W
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Liz.

If it's daylight and they are wide awake I don't see to many problems. You stay pretty much on the same road you leave the airport on all the way to Speyside and the BWI is well signposted as you get to the far end of the village.

I think they will find it fun at least it's better than arriving at Gatwick and having to contend with the M25, now that is scary.

Regards
Kevin
Liz W

Post by Liz W »

We always fetch them from the airport! Phoenix doesn't have anything like the M25!

They will only have come from Trinidad so they should ve awake - it's good to know there aren't too many roads to choose from when driving to BWI!

Regards

Liz
Cornelia Montgomery

Now the question is: Should you warn them about that dazzling steep road with the blind turn that leads to the BWI? At least the person who isn't driving can enjoy the view.
Liz W

Post by Liz W »

I think I might warn them . . . . I'll tell Judie to look at the view - but not Ken . . . . .
Anonymous

White Dove

Post by Anonymous »

We used White Dove and stayed there a total of 6 nights while in transit to other islands. It is 10min from airport. They charge $60/night but it includes both airport pickup and dropoff. It also includes breakfast.

I got this name from Loney Planet Thorntree. It is a decent place. It has ac and hot water. They also have a kitchen for visitors use.

TT is pretty much a third world country - so everything is negotiable. The owner didn't negotiate on price but did drive us around to bank and we got laundry done for free. He also knows Nanan Tours - the guys who do tours in Caroni Swamp. And we got a better price [$10/person instead of $20/person] for caroni swamp tour.

I will post the contact info later from home.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Kalpak

May I suggest that if you wish to avoid getting the same response that you have to other posts, you show a little respect and manners.

T&T is NOT a third world country - it is classified as a Developing county. Given that you are from India, I find your comments somewhat insulting and insensitive, to be honest.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Carla C

Right On!

Post by Carla C »

Right on, Steve! And I thank you for what you said in our defence. I think it was rather rude of Kalpak to speak with such disdain for Trinidad (and Tobago by extension- same country.) Such a condescending tone is not expected of anyone with even a minute amount of class, nor can such insulting words be be taken lightly, esp. someone from a country with an economy like India's.

It's like my grandmother used to say- "Don't throw stone when yuh livin' in ah glass house!" . Who do u think you are?!

Another mental image forms in my head, but it's sort of blurry right now.
Kalpak, fill in the blanks for me, will you?

.....pot.....kettle.......black......

Genuine Trini Grl

Return to “General Accommodation”