Low Budget Accomodation needed

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Sonja N.

Low Budget Accomodation needed

Post by Sonja N. »

Hello, I am planning to stay in Tobago for around seven weeks in January and February 2005. Until now I have not found a comparably cheap place to stay. Maybe some of you know about a contact to a guest family that is willing to rent a room for a student. Preferably in Charlotteville.
Thanks for answers :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Sonja

Welcome aboard the forum!

I am afraid that it is very difficult to get information on guest homes. There are no published lists and I have tried very hard to compile a list, without luck. You must also understand that these type of homes sometimes don't even have telephone and very few, if any, will handle enquiries by email. There is always a surplus of accommodation and this type of accommodation is best found by simply arriving in the village and asking around.

Good luck.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Sonja N.

Post by Sonja N. »

Thank you Steve! I hope you are right and it will be no problem finding a room on the island...take care, Sonja
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

what is your definition of low budget. how much are you able/willing to pay per night?
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Sonja N.

Post by Sonja N. »

Dear Alibaba,
funny nickname, why are you called like this?
Well, unfortunately low-budget is meant really low. I tell you the truth - I am an anthropology student used to travel and live in Latinamerica, like Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Costa Rica and so on where prices are comparably low. Now I am planning a little field research about the use and influence of television programmes in Tobago to the Tobagonien people. Therefore for me it would be best to stay in a guest family where I would have some contact persons for the beginning. I bought the flight without thinking well about the prices for accommodation, I can´t spend more than 10 US$ per night and even this is difficult. But maybe possible...
Do you have any ideas which village might be nice? I am looking for local people, not touristic life. And as you are from Tobago - what kind of media do the people use most - television, radio or newspapers?
Thanks for an answer, best wishes, Sonja
Thomas Riemer

Post by Thomas Riemer »

Dear Sonja !!

This is real low budget but i am sure you will find accomodation for this price. But, as Steve said, you will have to have a look for yourself.
I am writing to you from Castara and i know two places wich would have a room. But again, there is no phone or net to send a request to them.
Also it is up to your taste if you like the rooms !
What i am daring to says is...Castara is local. If it is typical ?
There are so many different villages. On the sea (Atlantic/Caribbean side)
or inside the island. You should def go up north for local villages.
Down in Crownpoint Area you might find typical touristical behavior only.
Also the media questions is not easy to answer for me. Many people now have "Direct TV". They used to see CNN/BBC if they watch any news.
I guess for local information the most people still rely on the newspapers.

Hey Alibaba.... correct me if i am wrong please...i am still experiencing Tobago :?
Thomas

Return to “General Accommodation”