1st Time to Tobago

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Helen

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Helen »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 14 February 2003

We are starting to think about a trip to Tobago. We are planning ahead probably next easter. We are trying to budget prices. Has anyone any idea roughly of airline prices for school easter holidays. The virgin prices for this year looked quite expensive. We would ideally like to organize it ourselves. We were thinking of a week in the north possibly charlotteville. We dont want luxury but not too basic either and then a week in the south in appartments or villa. The boys would like a pool for part of the time. We have looked at various villas and sherwood appartments and bijou d'caribes. Any thoughts? Our boys will be 10 and 12. We would consider a package if it worked out cheaper but would prefer to not have to all be in one room. Any help or ideas would be great

thank you
helen
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 15 February 2003

Hi Helen.

Don't think about it - do it. If it doesn't turn out to be one of the best holidays in your lifetime, come back to the forum and tell the world what a fraud I am.

Its obviously difficult to quote air fares, they vary so much. The Virgin service doesn't start until May and I have no idea what their prices are going to be like. At the present moment, the cheapest deal is with Monarch Airlines. Flight-only tickets are available on Monarch/JMC from Golden Caribbean (01342-316900) at around £400 (??) per person.

Everything about Charlotteville is 'basic' and this quaint fishing village is a very popular 'back to basics' and budget holiday destination. During my stay over the past four weeks, two or three people have said they dislike Charlotteville, but personally I love it - that's where my love for Tobago originated.

I recently visited the Sherwood Park Apartments and was very impressed with the rooms, facilities and particularly by the staff. We actually stayed at Bijou Des Caraibes and I will be publishing a fully illustrated review over the next month or two. I really can't recommend the place enough. By strange coincidence, owners Judy and Yvon Gemmet brought all their guests down here to Arnos Vale last night for a Valentine evening's entertainment at the Arnos Vale Waterwheel. They did a similar thing whilst we were staying with them - taking all the guests to the Seahorse Inn. They really get a lovely community atmosphere spirit going and truly can't do enough for their guests. I've seen the letters proving that every guest leaves a friend for life. Highly, highly recommended. Good pool and their lovely son, Jan, is about the same age as you own boys and would be a great companion, I'm sure.

Hope this helps.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Pitts

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Steve Pitts »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 14 February 2003

Hi Helen

We much prefer a D.I.Y holiday and have stayed in a private house for our last 3 trips. We're off again in April and have opted for our usual accomodation in Labeau for our first week and then we're moving a couple of miles up the road to Hummingbird Heights (see Steve's review under accomodation). £400 per week for 4 - 6 guests. A pool. Spectacular views and all that freedom to do what you want - when you want. What more could you ask for? Check it out at hummingbird-heights.com Spoke to Neil, the owner last week and booked on the spot. Can't wait to get there.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Yes, Steve & Helen - Hummingbird Heights would be another good choice. Like Bijou Des Cariabes, the hosts can't do enough for their guests and seem to spend their lifes running them around and arranging things for them. This is particularly useful if its your first visit - from the moment you touch down at Tobago's Crown Point airport you will be in the hands of people who care for you - just as if you were staying with friends or family. Naturally they won't 'crowd' you, so those who don't want their hand held, so to speak, need have no fears.
Steve Wooler
Helen

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Helen »

Thanks for all your wonderful help. You have put my mind at rest about flights. When I looked at the virgin websites the flights were coming up at £900-£1000 per person so it sounded a bit steep for 4 of us. allyour accommodation recommendations sound great . I shall certainly keep my eyes peeled for that review.

thanks
helen
Steve Wooler

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 17 February 2003

Just a quick update on Monarch prices, although they're filling up fast, so you'll have to be quick. A 14-day return for the Easter weeked (from 17th April) will be £483 p/p; a week later (24th April) will be £380 p/p and 14 days from 1st May will be £356 p/p - all on Monarch standard economy from Gatwick. Upgrades to Premier Class (well worth it) are about £140 p/p return extra.
Steve Wooler
Michelle Edwards

1st Time to Tobago

Post by Michelle Edwards »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 16 February 2003

Hi Helen, We have just booked 2 flights to go out BA at Christmas and it cost £656.50 each, so I would think you could get it comparible/cheaper for the time you require, we could have also paid a little less if we had arrived and departed on a week day. You also get a £10.00 disc per ticket for booking on line, which I advise, as when we phoned BA it was considerably dearer than on the net?! We have tried to get tickets for Monarch from Golden Carribean, however they are not released until March and as we are going at a busy time we were a little worried if we would get the availabilty. When we did contact them they were very helpful and suggested we wrote to them to go on a mailing list. Getting there can be a little expensive but it is worth every penny and if you are going self catering the cost while you are there is great for the budget concious. What we have spent extra on flights compared to the traditionally more popular islands, we have saved when we are there because everything is such good value. Please forget thte rest, go to the best TOBAGO!! Sorry if that sounded a bit twee but I just love the island and it's people.

Return to “General Accommodation”