Going Solo

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Laurence

Going Solo

Post by Laurence »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 25 February 2003

Hi there, First of all, compliments on the website - it's an interesting and useful mix of facts and opinions. I'm considering a 'last minute' trip to Tobago right now: flying out in a couple of weeks time and staying for three weeks or so. An enticing prospect, but before I make up my mind about it I'd like to ask if anyone's got any tips for a guy travelling alone. Any ideas about friendly, modestly-priced accommodation where I wouldn't pay over the odds for a single room occupancy? (I'd probably want to book my first couple of nights' accommodation in advance and then find my own way from there). Hiking/Birdwatching/Eco tours that aren't only geared up to couples? Scooter hire (as I wouldn't need a car all to myself)? A couple of days over in Trinidad? Diving instruction (for an absolute beginner)? And the general ambience: am I likely to feel out of place among humungous heaving hoards of happy hedonistic honeymooners? Any info for the single traveller gratefully received. Thanks in advance, Laurence from Amsterdam
Jan & Linda

Going Solo

Post by Jan & Linda »

We visited Tobago (first time) last december and were so pleasanlty surprised by the beauty of the island, the kindness of the people and the laid-back character of the everyday life. We stayed at Sherwood Park Apartments in the south of Tobago (comment in this forum Feb 13th 14th). It has dutch owners (contact in Holland with local manager and staff), who appear to have established a very nice accommodation. Ten apartments, spacious rooms, kitchen, bathroom swimming pool in lovely garden and above all excellent staff ! ! The atmosphere is frienly and relaxed, the rates are very reasonable. Staff will help you organize your trips, in any way you prefer. Seems to me a well fitting choice for you (after reading your plans and ideas). Anyway have a nice stay and considering Sherwood Park: their site is both in english and dutch (http://www.sherwood-park.com ) Jan, Utrecht
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Going Solo

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Laurence

Jan & Linda's suggestion is not a bad one - and by the strangest of coincidences, five minutes after they made that post, someone else wrote to me saying how much they enjoyed Sherwood Park Apartments. I can endorse that, having recently toured their facilities. Only problem is that they are quite large self-contained apartments, so possibly too large for you - but have a look at their site/rates. The only single room Bed & Breakfast accommodation I have any personal knowledge of is Hummingbird Heights ( http://www.hummingbird-heights.com ) just outside Scarborough. US$155 per WEEK bed and breakfast. Various other places have single studio apartments, but you'd need to scan through our Guesthouse listings. A very good choice could be the Polo Bar ( http://www.tobagopolobar.com ) at Buccoo. At on US$40 per night, bed and breakfast it could be a really good choice. There are no scooters available for hire on Tobago, but I believe you can get small motorbikes from Sheppy's ([email protected]) or email Yes Tourism ([email protected]) and see if they can find you something through their brokerage service. Whatever you decide, have a great time - I'm sure you will.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Laurence

Going Solo

Post by Laurence »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 04 March 2003

Hi! Thanks Steve, Jan & Linda for your tips. I now have my first two nights' accommodation booked with a friend of the owner of Hummingbird Heights (which was fully booked around my arrival date). I can hardly believe I'll be in Tobago in less than a week's time (10 March). . . and I hardly need to tell you how much I'm looking forward to it! Laurence

Return to “General Accommodation”