Honeymoon Accommodations

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
George

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by George »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 27 February 2003

Can anyone suggest honeymoon accommodations for us. We're looking for something luxurious; scenic, romantic and intimate. I know there are many hotels, but most of them seem more on the casual side. Maybe an up-scale villa. Anything with a great view, a beautiful balcony, perhaps a hammock, four-poster bed, etc. would be perfect.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi George

Wow, bit of a tall order. How formal do you want the hotels? I confess that being an old (less of the ‘old’ please) colonial, I actually miss the days when people dressed for dinner. Not ever night, but certainly the days 20 years or so ago when most top hotels had a couple of formal ‘dress’ nights each week. Everybody, including the waiting staff, dressed to the nines. It was truly romantic and lovely. Call me an old fogey if you will. Mind you, being a professional webmaster, I can sit here in jeans and a t-shirt (well, being in England, I admit to a t-shirt and two warm pullovers) and dread putting on a tie. Anyway, I’m rabbiting, so let’s move on.

The top luxury hotels in Tobago are far from ‘casual’. None of them will allow jeans, shorts or t-shirts in the main restaurants for example (and quite rightly!). Bare chests are even a No, No! in the beach bars (except pool bars, where available). You have a choice of Hilton (luxurious, but not exactly scenic, romantic or intimate in comparison to the others), the Coco Reef Resort (luxurious, scenic, romantic and intimate – as long as you accept that you’re sharing it with up to 270 other people), the Blue Haven (all four features again, in a much quieter general atmosphere AND FOUR POSTER BEDS) and Le Grand Courlan Resort (same as Coco Reef but on a reduced scale).

I know one villa that fits the bill to a T (except no hammock, but I’m sure they would arrange one). Check out Being villa. Hope you’ve got deep pockets though.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
George

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by George »

Thank you Steve. We honestly do not have to have all of those features, but I just wanted people to have the general idea of the type of atmospehere we were looking for. From their web site, the Blue Haven does look nice and I read your earlier review. How is the beach? I can't tell from the pictures. I just checked Being Villa and yes, although nice, it is too expensive. We actually do not mind paying top dollar for luxury accommodations, but US$1350 a night is just a bit too much. Might there be other villa options?
Steve Wooler

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi George

I know I get a copy of every forum post by email within seconds of it being posted, but you answered so quickly that I thought you must have tapped into my system!

The Blue Havens beach - Bacolet Bay - is small but lovely. A very romantic crescent-shaped beach set in palm trees. Lots of shade in the sandy part between the trees. The seas are on the boisterous side, but then they can be all round the island. If you want to email me at [email protected] I can send you a photo of the beach taken during my recent visit. These will eventually get put into a full article on the site.

I’ve only stayed at two villas and visited another two, so have limited experience. Unless it’s a fully staffed villa, like Being, would the atmosphere be as romantic as at the Blue Haven or similar? I’m not sure.

Maybe other readers have suggestions.
Steve Wooler
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi George, my wife and I went to Footprints Eco Resort to look at it for a wedding/honeymoon venue, and loved it. It lost out due to reasons of remote access for our wedding guests, but it does an excellent honeymoon package including private log cabin with woods all round and private spa - there is even a serving hatch/airlock so that if you choose the meals can be brought to you without you ever seeing a staff member. There is a pretty little beach there as well, with restaurant/bar and main pool. Bliss and serenity guaranteed, and one to remember but not 5* luxury although what more would you need? You will love Tobago I am sure.
Glyn Kirpalani
George

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by George »

This Footprints Eco Resort sounds great, but I can't seem to find much information on it. Does anyone have any details?
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi George

I just checked the website for you but it seems u/s at present, so then I did a general search using keywords Footprints Eco Resort (no surprise there) on the master of all search engines: http://www.dogpile.com. Loads of reviews, etc came up, including agents marketing it. Don't forget that the agents include a hike on the price - call or email the resort direct for haggling their own rates down (haggling in the current climate always succeeds). Try to find their number on the government site if all else fails (or is it on this one?) http://www.visittnt.com You will need a jeep to get down the steep and shingle track to the resort - they will arrange a car for you or you could check out this site (my personal favourite is Sherman). I recall that they might include airport transfers anyway for hnoeymooners, and you could just stay there and enjoy the peace and animals. If you do go please post a review - I have always wondered what it would have been like.

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 28 February 2003

Hi Guys

The Footprints Eco Resort is a very commendable project which sadly appears to have run into problems. They took their website off-line some months ago and mail to their email address is now rejected. Enquiries around six months ago had indicated that they were still open, technically, but communication with them seemed impossible. That's why we show no links on their property in our main listings. I haven't had anything of late, although an email I sent to them last week has been returned again as undeliverable.

If anyone has an update, we would all be most grateful.
Steve Wooler
Marie Dilworth
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Marie Dilworth »

Hi Steve, I have recently been talking to Claudia at Footprints as a couple that are getting married in September in Tobago want to escape after their wedding to Footprints for a couple of nights. The only way to contact Footprints, at the moment, is by phone, on 868 660 0118. Claudia told me that their e-mail should be up and working again soon. I haven't been to the property for years so can't advise on how it looks these days. Hope this helps. Regards,
Marie Dilworth
Tobago Weddings - http://www.TobagoWeddings.com
Steve Wooler

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thank for you input, Marie. If you should speak to Claudia again, please ask her to let me/you know their email address as soon as they can and we'll publish on the site and in our accommodation listings. Although I've never visited Footprints, I've heard some lovely reports about it and particularly about how nice the owners and staff are.
Steve Wooler
Niki Byrne

Honeymoon Accommodations

Post by Niki Byrne »

Hi George,

I would definately recommend the four villas on Stonehaven Bay (we stayed at Sand Pebbles although the other three looked lovely as well, Sandpiper, Yellowbird and Hawksbill). Steve has them on this website so look them up. They are not on a complex (like Stonehaven villas) and are very clean, luxurious and lovely. I cannot recommend them enough. Would go back there like a shot. If you want any more information let me know.

Return to “General Accommodation”