1st Time and on strict budget

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Louise

Post by Louise »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 28 February 2003

First, thanks for such a wonderful site - my brain is hurting from trying to take it all in! My partner and I are hoping to holiday for the first time in 2 years and have set our hearts on Tobago. He is a diver and I want to loaf, read, swim etc. Am trying to find good deal on a flight but looks like we'll be left with v small budget for accom (have just been made redundant, bla bla). Have e-mailed Polo but was wondering if anyone had tried Hummingbird Hotel. Also, partner would love to dive in Speyside area - any v budget accom up there? We're very sociable and I will inevitably be a 'dive-widow' for a lot of the time so don't want to be too far off the beaten track. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 01 March 2003

Louise.

That’s a tricky one. If your partner is off diving every/most days, it’s obviously important that you are based near a popular beach where you won’t be hassled as a single girl. The Polo Bar is a good choice and only four minutes walk from Buccoo beach. However, you might find it pretty lonely there on your own. It’s a nice beach, but like most beaches away from Crown Point, pretty deserted. It all depends upon how confident a person you are and whether you would be happy on your own. I haven’t visited the Hummingbird Hotel but have had good vibes from my communication with the owners. However, you’re a 10 or 15 minute walk from the nearest beach (Store Bay) and again, as a single girl you will be a magnet to the beach bums and other lads. What you really need is a small hotel, guesthouse or studio apartment located directly adjacent to a beach. The only one that springs to mind that would possibly satisfy both you and your partner is the Speyside Inn.

Hopefully other readers will have more suggestions.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Louise

Post by Louise »

Thanks for the advice Steve.

I hadn't considered this pestering lark - have dealt with it successfully in the past but it's still v irritating. Reason I thought of Hummingbird was that it has a pool and so I could loaf around hotel if necessary. Had thought of Speyside Inn - looks gorgeous. One question, can you walk to Blue Waters from there? Am a bit confused diving-wise as Speyside Inn seems to be affiliated to Manfriday Diving (based at Man O War) whereas Blue Waters affiliated to Aquamarine (based at Speyside) and yet both hostelries seem v near each other. If close enough I could loaf daily at Blue Waters where I presume there would be less pestering?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Louise

Someone I know wrote me a review of a short break he enjoyed in Speyside. He stayed at the Country Haven Guest House. He described it as “basic but totally adequate”. He complained about service at the Blue Waters (I admit that some of the bar and waiting staff tend to have po-faces, but are great once you break the ice) and said that he had the worst meal on Tobago at the Manta Lodge. However, he ended by saying “what a discovery the Speyside Inn was. The food, service and hospitality was excellent”. This is my only knowledge of the Speyside Inn.

Yes, you could walk from the Speyside Inn to the Blue Waters, but it would take 15-20 minutes I guess. A large percentage of people visiting Speyside are divers, so every hotel/guesthouse tends to be affiliated with a dive shop and the larger places have dive shops on the premises. I know nothing about diving, so can’t comment really, but I understand that AquaMarine Dive, who are based at the Blue Waters Inn, are a PADI Gold Palm operation and reputedly very good.

Yes, you could stay at Speyside Inn or Country Haven and walk or taxi to the Blue Waters Inn and loaf your days away perfectly safely and in comfort and without pestering. I’m sure Blue Waters wouldn’t mind you using their hotel and beach facilities if your partner is diving with AquaMarine Dive.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Louise

Post by Louise »

Thanks v much Steve - will look into both those options.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 03 March 2003

Louise, For your info, my boyfriend I have just booked into the Speyside Inn from 28 March for 5 nights as we too are on a tight budget and wanted somewhere attractive, by a beach and good value too and it seemed to fit those criteria! We have managed to negotiate a room rate of US$85 including breakfast and tax. This is less than their advertised rate on their website so do your best to haggle. You are likely to get it cheaper too if you are travelling after mid April when their "low season" rate ends. You may also be interested in looking at Inn on the Bay at Little Rockley Bay, 10 mins from the Crown Point area, and as the name suggests, by the beach. We are staying there first, from 23-27 March, and have managed to negotiate that down from US$100 a room per night to US$70 inc breakfast and tax. They actually offered US$50 but that was without breakfast and we decided we needed that to get us going in the morning - my other half can't face the day without a couple of cups of coffee or tea although we're probably paying over the odds for it! We will post reports on both hotels on our return (3 April). Hope this helps anyway. Maria
Louise

Post by Louise »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 05 March 2003

Maria, thanks for the advice. We've just booked a flight for tomorrow so are starting at the Polo Bar and may well try Speyside Inn (will haggle!). Back on 21st, will try and post report before you go but may well be in the recovery position for a few days afterwards! Steve - looking forward to meeting Charlie! Thanks again for such a helpful site - will be printing off pages to take with me!

Return to “General Accommodation”