Secure accommodation in Castara

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Emma Whale

Secure accommodation in Castara

Post by Emma Whale »

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going to stay in Tobago from April 20-May 04, and would love to stay in Castara. We have been talking to Linda at Hidden Cottage, and were wondering if anyone has stayed in the smaller apartment there? We're looking for something around the $50-75 mark per night. I've made the mistake of reading the FCO advice today and am now slightly concerned about security - Steve and others, do you think places like the Naturalist and so on can be considered reasonably secure?

Hope someone can help - flights are booked but should really sort out accommodation...

thanks,
Emma
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Emma

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I'm making the most of currently having an always-on broadband connection enabling me to see posts as they happen, after three weeks plus of carrier pigeon connections that allowed me to read posts, but made answering a pain in the butt.

It would be a foolhardy man you tangled with Ancle, the owner of the Naturalist. I'm not familiar with Hidden Cottage, but believe it to be a little more remote on the northern (rainforest) edge of the village.

I can only tell you that I've just had two weeks in Castara and slept every night with our windows fully open (and NO, I'm not paid to say that by the Tobagonian government or anyone else).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

Hello Emma
My wife and I are returning to Castara on April 8th and will be staying again at Naturalist, we could not have felt safer on our first trip and this is one of the reasons we are going back.
As Steve said nobody would be likely to cause Ancle problems, I have driven to quite a few parts of the island with him and he really is one of the most well known and respected people on the island.
Go and enjoy and we might bump into you on our last couple of days.
Paul
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Dear Emma,

I agree with Steve. There's no safer place than the Naturalist! Ancle lives right upstairs.

Joanne Green
Selvin D

secure accomodation

Post by Selvin D »

Hi there,

I'm Selvin Douglas from Castara - the owner of the newly built Hidden Cottage. I was born and bred in the village and now live in Scotland. Just in case of any confusion over our location, we are situation right in the heart of Castara just a two minute walk from the main street - and not in a remote location. We've got great staff looking after our guests who have all returned home loving Castara!
Pete Mancini

Post by Pete Mancini »

Hi Emma,

My wife and I stayed at Sandcastles with Adam and family and we couldn't have felt more safe. It has a great secluded feel and is pearched nicely to give excellent views of the bay and countryside. Also of note is Big Boy who is Adam's super dog. Big Boy conducts patrols around the grounds and ocassionally checks in on you. He certainly puts you at ease and ensures that there will be no unwanted visitors.

Wherever you stay you will have a great time, Castara is a great and safe place.

Have a great time, and be sure to have Adam cook for you.

Pete
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Selvin

Sorry, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. No, I don't believe it is 'remote', but had gained the impression (from two guests who stayed with you two weeks ago), that it was, as you say, a couple of minutes walk from the main road, which in such a small village, puts it on the outskirts rather than the centre.

I would also confirm your views about the people looking after your place - again, according to the people we spoke to.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Emma,I have just left Castara after a stay of over 8 weeks and never felt threatened.It was my second long stay in Castara and I would recommend it to anyone.
Go and enjoy,David 8) :D
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi all,

I would like to say something to the Hidden Cottage, Selvin. It is almost in the middle of the village but up on the hill and the street up there is very steeply (I hope this is the right word?). This is the only reason why it takes a couple of minutes to go up there. If the street was straight, it would take you 2 minutes.

By the way it is a lovely place, well equiped and a nice spot. I did not stay there but I was there when the smaler room upstairs was just ready for the house warming party. :lol:

Greetings so Scotland, Selvin. When are you going back and how about the drums ?

Cheers
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Emma Whale

Post by Emma Whale »

Hi all

Many thanks for the help - we're going for one week at the Naturalist and one week at the Hidden Cottage apartment - we travel fairly light so we thought we'd spread it about a bit. Very excited, and feeling far more secure about the whole thing. Thanks so much for everyone's help - it makes such a difference to elicit the views of 'real' people rather than dubious advertising, and thanks to Linda/Selvin and Ancle for getting back to me so quickly. Less than seven weeks to go!

all best,
Emma

Return to “General Accommodation”