'Oneida'

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Simon Curtis

'Oneida'

Post by Simon Curtis »

In the grounds of what used to be Studley Plantation there used to be a house named Oneida. It had two cottages in the grounds and I believe all used to used to be available for holiday rental. The house was built by my wife's Grandfather (Robert Alefounder) for his in-laws when they moved from Merchiston. Does any one know if it is still possible to rent this property as I would like to suprise my wife with a holiday to her mothers birthplace.
Regards
Simon
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Simon

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I thought the name 'Oneida' rang a bell. It was on the rental market and listed on myTobago until mid-2002. We were then notified by the agent that handled reservations, Caribbean Estates (http://www.realestatetobago.com) that the property was for sale and no longer taking reservations. We dropped it from the list and assume that it was sold as a private property - or that the new owner has changed the name. It might be worth contacting Natalie Mahabir at Caribbean Estates ([email protected]) to see if she knows the status. If it is on the rental market, please be sure to let me know and we'll add it back in the list.

Good hunting!
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Simon Curtis

Oneida and Studley

Post by Simon Curtis »

Steve
Many thanks for your prompt response. I will mail Natalie to see what happened. I knew it had been for sale some years ago but had then vanished.
My father in law worked on Trinidad and after meeting and marrying in the early 50's in Tobago they moved to England leaving Studley park. My wife's grandparents left the island and moved to Florida in the 70's. They eventually sold the estate house ( a converted moot hall) in the late 70's early 80's. I understand, sadly, that Studley house has since been destroyed by fire.
Both Granparents are now deceased. I know the family miss the Island and it's people greatly and in many respects regret having to leave.

I read that Studley Park now houses a Concrete batching plant and a Landfill site. Should anyone have any more information on the area I would be grateful.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on what is an excellent site. It will take me many hours to navigate and take in all the information stored. Running a small old school site myself I appreciate just how many hours you must devote to building and maintaining a site such as this
Simon
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Simon

Seems like a long shot, but you are most of the way there, thanks to Steve's encyclopaedic knowledge of Tobago.

What an incredible surprise this will be for your wife, if you are successful in your quest and even if Oneida is no longer available for rent, just going to Tobago will be a great experience because of the family connection.

Good luck!

Cheers
Steve
Simon Curtis

'Oneida'

Post by Simon Curtis »

I have a reply from Natalie she is not sure about Oneida house itself but probably renting the cottages. She does say that the quarry is now back in operation again so not an ideal holiday location.
I shall return to the site to find another place to go

Steve W as a seperate issue do you know of what happened to the estate houses at Merchiston and Grafton. I know that Grafton was turned into a bird sanctuary some time after Eleanor Alefounder died. Of either house I can find no information.

Regards
Simon
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Simon

That's an interesting update re Oneida. As you say, though, not an ideal holiday location if you're on the edge of a quarry.

Eleanor's home - Grafton House - is available for rental. Just search for the name in our Accommodation listings. The Grafton Caledonia Bird & Wildlife Sanctuary is still going and a lovely place to spend a few hours, particularly after dawn.

Sorry, I know nothing about the Merchiston estate house. Well, I reckon I'll have to settle for 2 out of your 3 questions. If anyone knows what happened to the Merchiston Estate, just south of Speyside, please let us know.
Steve Wooler
Simon Curtis

Post by Simon Curtis »

Steve
Through the site I have contacted Graeme and Belinda McWilliam who own/administer Grafton House. They have been very helpful and replied instantly. They were pleased to have contact with members of the Alefounder family.
Since the house sleeps nine comfortably I have thrown the idea to our children to combine our 30th wedding anniversary and my wife's 50th birthday in a family holiday. We have seven children and will have a family get together when my eldest son returns from an overseas trip in June.
It is difficult to contact him where he is at the moment so we will wait for his return. The signs from the rest are encouraging so hopefully we will be going.

Thankyou very much for your assistance in getting our dream holiday under way.
Best Regards
Simon
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Simon

I am so delighted that it seems to be working out so well. I am sure you will have a wonderful celebration there. Good luck with all the planning.
Steve Wooler
Bill Murphy

Alefounders

Post by Bill Murphy »

Simon Curtis wrote:Through the site I have contacted Graeme and Belinda McWilliam who own/administer Grafton House. They have been very helpful and replied instantly. They were pleased to have contact with members of the Alefounder family.
Simon,

I've been visiting Grafton Estate since 1978 and knew Eleanor Alefounder. I have a letter from her from back then. If you're interested, I could scan it and email it to you. Here's what I wrote about it in the 2003 edition of my "Birdwatchers' Guide to Trinidad and Tobago":

Grafton Great House, on Grafton Estate, is located on the leeward (Caribbean) side of Tobago near the village of Black Rock. This 1930s plantation house was home to Eleanor Alefounder. According to the present manager (Margretta McWilliam of Cumbria, England), Alefounder had a lifelong interest in wildlife and conservation. After Hurricane Flora devastated Tobago in 1963, destroying the birds’ habitat and natural food, Alefounder did what she could to help feed the birds around her. Starvation brought to her estate house many species that normally would have been too shy to be seen easily. Alefounder continued to feed the birds daily on her 81-ha (200-acre) estate, especially in the immediate vicinity of the house. The proximity of so many birds fearlessly coming to her veranda attracted visitors from all over the world. On my first visit I was astonished at the number of species that flew in one side of the house and out the other, as if it were no more than a natural feature of the surrounding woodlands. Bananaquits were everywhere. Rufous-vented Chachalacas and Blue-crowned Motmots could be hand fed, with the motmots showing a decided preference for cheese.

Alefounder died in 1983 after asking the Trustees to continue her good work, which they have endeavored to do. The copra shed near the house has been restored and converted into an observation center. There you can watch and film birds such as Rufous-vented Chachalacas and Blue-crowned Motmots. The former wagon trails through the copra plantation are kept reasonably clear of brush and now are used as nature trails. The major portion of the estate was left to be a bird and wildlife sanctuary for all time, while the house was left to Alefounder’s family. Grafton Great House is essentially a beloved family home, but between family visits it is rented to ornithologists and others who appreciate peace and tranquility. The house has been renovated in such a way as to maintain its original appearance.

Rental includes the entire house, which contains three large bedrooms, with an additional small bedroom for a child. The living and dining areas are spacious, with nicely polished wooden floors. The kitchen is also large and fully equipped. For a small additional charge, you can hire a maid to cook and clean. Modern laundry facilities also are available. The trails on the grounds are clearly marked and lead to areas inhabited by such Tobago specialties as Blue-backed Manakin and Olivaceous Woodcreeper. Enormous trees near the great house are festooned with night-blooming Cereus cactus. The elevated site of the great house takes advantage of cooling sea breezes and affords magnificent views of Stonehaven and Courland Bays and the villages of Black Rock and Plymouth. The garden is secluded, with terraced lawns and an orchard. The beach is about 0.3 km (900 ft.) away and is easily accessible by foot or car.

Grafton Great House
Black Rock, Tobago
022-971-6568/6721 voice and fax
(this telephone number is in the U.K.)

Return to “General Accommodation”