Stay in one place... or a bit of variety?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Sheena Lydon

Stay in one place... or a bit of variety?

Post by Sheena Lydon »

Hey dudes,

I'm not going to Tobago til next April (!!!!) but I'm looking at booking accommodation now. I'm just not sure whether we should spend our whole two weeks in Castara (sounds lovely) or should we spend a week in another part of the island. We were hoping to do a few dives as well as all the other stuff we'd hope to check out (few turtles maybe?) and were wondering if Castara is too remote for this? Can anybody point me in the right direction? Also could anybody recommend any particular place we should stay in Castara?

Thanks,
Sheena
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Sheena

Welcome aboard. :lol:

There are no full dive services in or around Castara. The nearest is around 30 minutes drive away at Arnos Vale. All the best dive operations are based either in the Crown Point area or Speyside - both around 45 minutes drive from Castara.

As regards recommendations, an awful lot depends upon your budget. I suggest you start with our reviews (see the "Reviews" menu above).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Sheena Lydon

Post by Sheena Lydon »

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Had a good look and I'm pretty taken by the beach house, looks really nice. If it comes down to it, we could always rent a car for a couple of days because we don't plan too much activity just the few dives and a few boat trips. Hope to do more relaxing than anything else!!
Jo B
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Jo B »

Sheena

My husband and I visited Tobago for the first time last autumn and stayed the full two weeks in Castara. We dived with Aquamarine Divers in Speyside for 3 or 4 days. We hired a small jeep (from KCNN - very good), and really enjoyed the drive each morning across the top of the island through the rainforest. We loved Castara, and are planning to return again this year.

Jo x
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Sheena--
I agree that you should definitely stay in Castara. You could rent a car from Sheppy (he's the one Steve Wooler recommends). There's so many neat places to see that I hope your budget would stretch to more than just a few days rental. Remember, even though the island isn't very big, public transportation is not an efficient option.

Also, we found that it took over an hour to drive to Speyside. Of course, that was 1 1/2 yrs. ago, when the roads in the north part were still very iffy after all the landslides of the previous November. I can only hope that Steve is correct in his "guestimate" of the driving time!!

Your only other option might be to stay 3 or 4 nights at the Blue Waters Inn & do all your diving then. You could dive twice a day, if you wanted to!! Then, stay the rest of the time at Castara. You don't have to rent any of the places by the week, so that gives you some flexibility.

If you're counting your pence, you might consider the Naturalist Beach. Even the most expensive room (Kingfish) only rents for US$70 per night. It's a nice big room, with Air conditioning, ceiling fan, kitchenette, and fold-out divan & the greatest sea-view porch. It's a large covered porch with comfortable padded chairs & chaise lounges & table & chairs. From it, you can watch the life of the village go by! Very relaxing.

If you did the Naturalist, you could think about the Blue Waters (which is pricier) for a few days. The Blue Waters' setting is lovely & the food is quite good, although not as cheap as in Castara.

Whatever you decide, I guarantee that you're going to love Tobago!!
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Sheena,

Tobago Dive Experience is based in Arnos Vale. Although it's the next bay around, as the crow flies, it takes a bit of time to drive there. However, if you phone the dive shop, they'll arrange for the boat to come around and collect you if they're going to dive just off Castara (there are several sites around there), or further up the island.

To the best of my knowledge, they're the only dive centre that will collect from Castara!

Hope this helps.
Have a good trip,
Lisa

Return to “General Accommodation”