where to stay with kids

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Paul Cousins

where to stay with kids

Post by Paul Cousins »

Hello all!

I am coming to Tobago at the end of March for a few weeks and want a villa with 3 beds and pool. I have kids, 7, 9 and 10 and whilst can find villas am not sure which area would suit best. Need to be close to restaurants as we enjoy eating out but also close to beach (not nec. on one as will have car. Any ideas as this is our first vist.

Many thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Paul

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I'm afraid your question is a little too broad to give an answer to. So much depends upon your budget and preferences. With over 150 rental villas on the island, it is difficult to know where to start - but the best place is clearly our Accommodation listings and our villa reviews. Once you've refined your choice down to a short-list, then don't hesitate to come back and ask specific questions. In the meantime, hopefully other readers might have their own suggestions and recommendations.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Paul

There are plenty of villas to choose from, but the variables are almost endless.

To narrow it down, would you prefer the Caribbean or Atlantic coast - a villa on a development or on its own - New build or traditional style - Lower, Middle or Upper Island - with or without daily maid service - then again, budget may be a priority?

If you would be happy with a lower island setting, on a development, then there are lots of rental villas in the Bon Accord area.

On the Caribbean side of the island there are losts of rental villas around the Mount Irvin (V pricey) and Courland Bay areas, including Villas at Stonehaven and The Sanctuary resort.

These areas have the highest concentration of resturants and are close to many of the popular beaches.

Villas further North tend to be stand alone villas, but there are a few around the Plymouth / Arnos Vale area worth considering - Villa Being if you are really loaded :)

Over on the Atlantic side, most of the rental villas will either be on the Plantations (aka Hilton) development, or around Lambeau, Signal Hill and the area just past Scarborough, known as Bacolet.

If you are looking for somewhere 'out in the sticks' then any villa North of Bacolet and Arnos Vale are likely to be in a rural setting eg those at Englishman's bay.

The accomodation section is the place to start, but identifying some of your criteria beforehand may narow down your search.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Paul Cousins

Post by Paul Cousins »

Thanks for the replies to both Steves! Budget is between $200 - 300 US a night and ideally looking for somehwere with pool rather than just plunge pool and relatively close to restaurants. A great view is a must but not sure whether Atlantic or Carribean coast, upland or lowland is preferable having never been. I've been on the accomodation area but am still not sure what area would suit best!
Paul Cousins

Atlantic coast vs Carribean?

Post by Paul Cousins »

Spent a happy hour on this wonderful site and beginning to feel I know a bit more about Tobago! Would I be right in assuming that the Atlantic coast is a little more mountainous and a bit breezier? Is it also more spectacular "view" wise? Trying still to narrow down my accomodation choice!

Read the review of Grange Cottage...sounds idyllic, but would it be suitable with 3 young girls 7 - 10 years? Slightly concerned ref. safety as a little alarmed about comments on the site regarding security. I have been to Antigua, St. Lucia and Grenada and was never concerned. Is this really an issue on Tobago?...can't really believe it!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

It depends upon when you are going, to some degree, but yes, as a general rule the Atlantic coast is more breezy than the Caribbean. That's one of the reasons why most Tobagonians live on the Atlantic coast - it's generally cooler.

It is not true to say that the Atlantic side is more mountainous, however. In fact the opposite is actually the case. Have a look at our maps section (menu: Tobago/Maps) and you'll see a reasonable topographical representation either on the overview map on the introductory page, or in more detail by clicking on any area of the map. Both sides are spectacular, but I think most would agree that the Caribbean side has the edge.

If you look at the maps, you will see that the south-western tip of the island is flat. This is where most of the hotels and villas are located.

A year or so ago I was shown some crime (against tourist) figures for various Caribbean islands, showing the number of incidents per thousand visitors. If these figures were to be accepted (and I have no reason to believe that they weren't factual) then Tobago does not have a serious problem. It has been the surge of crime, from virtually zero, in a very short period of time that has caused the most alarm. However, I certainly can't give you any guarantees. All I can tell you is that I'm due to return there in two weeks time for 6 weeks and I have no undue concerns.

For the same reasons, I couldn't answer your question on Grange Cottage. It is a stunning location and one of very few villas with direct excess onto an excellent beach. Like many/most villas in the area, security is normally provided - although I confess that I dispensed with this service during our stay. It is a personal decision that only you can make.

Happy hunting!
Steve Wooler
Paul Cousins

calyandra, sugarbird and kiskadee

Post by Paul Cousins »

Many thanks Steve. Gradually narrowing down the list, as much as anything through availability. Now Cayandra vs Sugarbird vs Kiskadee. Any views on these anyone?
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Calyandra vs Kiskadee

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Paul, I don't know Sugarbird so can't comment on it (any chance you meant Mangobird?). Based on some of your "wish list" rerquirements, here are some comments on both: Calyandra is directly opposite the Rex Turtle Beach Hotel across the road. RTB sits on Great Courland Bay, a very nice beach, so getting to the beach means literally crossing the road and going around the hotel. But there are no restaurants in walking distance other than the RTB restaurant itself. The closest ones otherwise would be in the Grafton area which would be less than 10 minutes by car, but not practical to walk. Kiskadee is in the Bon Accord development, which is a popular housing development with lots of rental villas, and the beaches (Pigeon Point, Store Bay which are very popular) are just 20 minutes walk away (3 minutes by car). There are lots of casual restaurant and food places in easy walking distance nearby, offering a range from local food to BBQ to pizza to chicken & chips. 5 minutes drive will get you to Pennysavers, the largest supermarket in the area if you want to do your own cooking. But you should know that neither Calyandra nor Kiskadee will have the "spectacular" mountain view you were originally looking for.

Hope this helps.
Paul Cousins

thanks Clyde

Post by Paul Cousins »

Thanks Clyde, great advice. Sugarbird is on the Sanctuary Villas estate, as is Villa Pelican, which I'm also interested in...do you know the area?

Ref mountain view....guess I can do without!!!
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Sugarbird

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

Never having stayed at Sanctuary Villas, I can't comment on the view from personal experience but some thoughts anyway. In case you haven't been to their web site, here it is http://www.sanctuaryvillas.com/ Sanctuary Villas is a gated complex on a hill opposite the Grafton Beach hotel which is on Stonehaven Bay, so the beach is very close by. If security is big concern of yours, this is the most secure of the three choices. The water at Stonehaven beach has been known to be rough at times, but as long as you have a car you can go pretty much anywhere. One of the best restaurants on the island (Seahorse) is very close by, but there aren't any other restaurants within walking distance. Basically, with Calyandra and Sugarbird, you will end up driving to restaurants most evenings. Only with Kiskadee would you have a big choice within walking distance. As Sanctuary Villas is more of a premium location, I greatly suspect that Sugarbird's rates will be higher than Calyandra's or Kiskadee's. One other suggestion: if your girls are not swimmers, Pigeon Point is the best beach to take them. The water is usually like glass, and remains very shallow for a long way out, so you won't have to worry about close supervision. But there's an entrance charge of $18TT (3US) per adult. This is where I would go if I had 3 young girls.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Paul

Have a look at our mini-review of Villa Pelican - or read the review of Tosca for a more in-depth discussion. The two villas are identical in layout, but very different in furnishing. I've never seen inside Sugarbird, but it sits right at the top of the hill, next to the uncompleted 'Great House' hotel. Sanctuary Villas have gone into liquidation. This is not having any material affect on the private villas, but it does mean that those that overlook the uncompleted sections are somewhat blighted.
Steve Wooler
Paul Cousins

Calyandra

Post by Paul Cousins »

Many thanks Steve, Pelican does look nice and is available so am now fretting between this and Villa Calyandra in Black Rock. I know it's a subjective thing, but would you choose Black Rock over Bon Accord as an area to stay?

One further thing...many many thanks for such a great site, it's made planning this holiday a real pleasure...and yes I'll be ordering some caps!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Paul

To be honest, I would have to go with Pelican. As Clyde said, Calyandra is opposite the Turtle Beach hotel. Not the greatest of outlooks. Great beach, but the swimming can be 'quite vigorous' at times - not for anyone but the strongest swimmers. As Clyde says, there's nothing within walking distance.

The Sanctuary development, on the other hand, is bang next door to the Grafton Bird Sanctuary, set in a beautiful vale in the hillside and within walking distance of an excellent (but more sheltered) beach. It's a far more convenient location and also far superior from a security point of view.

Neither of these are in Black Rock village - they are actually either side of Black Rock village. Bon Accord, on the other hand, is in the flat south-western tip of the island. Very convenient for the airport, shops and everything, but not the prettiest part of Tobago. To be honest the lower Caribbean coast wins hands down.

As a matter of interest, have a look at Photo10 in our aerial gallery (menu: Odds & Sods/Photo Gallery/Aerial Gallery). This shows the Santuary Villa development. You will see the two lines of blue-roofed villas extending from the main house. Pelican is about a third of the way up the right leg. Tosca is the furthest left and Sugarbird at the top of the left leg.

I'm delighted to hear the site has helped and glad you are going to show your support. myTobago caps will not be available while I am in Tobago, so I'm afraid we won't be handling orders during February and March.
Steve Wooler
Paul Cousins

Thanks Steve

Post by Paul Cousins »

many thanks for the excellent advice!
John Fox

Post by John Fox »

Having read your earlier postings I think it worth mentioning that I think you will find Villa Pelican has a plunge pool rather than a swimming pool. Having stayed at one of the other villas there, though, I can say the plunge pool can be great fun with the kids.

Happy hunting

Return to “General Accommodation”