Any mobility impaired friendly properties?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Kayla Aspinall

Any mobility impaired friendly properties?

Post by Kayla Aspinall »

I am looking at a visit to Tobago but wonder if there are any properties suitable for me. I cannot walk far at all and often use a wheelchair for convenience. I dont fancy a hotel, would rather stay somewhere more traditional and rustic. Love the look of Castara but is it too hilly for me? Any suggestions would be appeciated. We won't be able to drive anywhere either but happy to hire a driver when needed. I'm quite happy reading a book looking out to sea and just chilling out. No pool necessary if near the beach.

Hope someone can come up with a viable suggestion that is practical considering my imobility.

Thanks,
Kayla.
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi Kayla,

sorry to hear, that you have to use a wheelchair and can not walk long distances. I also can not walk long distances but still don't need a wheelchair (but could be in future). Thats why I try to find out where to stay with this handycap.

Try to reach The Naturalist (you find it on this site, also their own website). This guesthouse is in Castara (probably the nicest place on the island) and very close to the beach. They have one appartement with wheel chair access and you can reach the beach by feet and the shops and somem of the bars in the village by wheelchair (flat).
Probably you will also find a driver to carry you around.

If you go to Castara try to contact Porredge, because he has big cars (bus) that you can also carry your wheelchair with you. He is highly recommended for any kind of transport (i.a. Sunday School).

Also YES Tourism can show you around with an adequate transportation.

The whole north of the island is hilly and the streets are normally not in a good condition. To stay at flat ground you have to find something in the south. I'm sure there will be others you can give you advice for this area.

Anyway you will enjoy your holidays!

Cheers

Gisela (6 days to go \:D/ \:D/ )

Return to “General Accommodation”