Where to stay in Trinidad overnight on way USA to Tobago?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Annie Reardon

Where to stay in Trinidad overnight on way USA to Tobago?

Post by Annie Reardon »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to stay? Leo's is all booked up. And I don't want to spend $240 at a big hotel. All we need is a reputable, clean place to sleep, and have breakfast in a.m.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

We have a friend in Diego Martin (not near the airport), Danny Dass, who will take good care of you. He has a beautiful guest house and is happy to drive you roundtrip from the airport at any hour. He charges us $30 to $50 per night. Here is a link: http://www.hostelz.com/hotel/28552-Brah ... uest-House

Brahma Bhuta Guest House

Lot 5 Waterbridge Rd
Blue Range Avenue
Diego Martin
Trinidad and Tobago
Phone: +868-632-0751
Cellular: +868-768-9895
Cellular: +868-749-7553

[email protected]
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Hi Annie,

I have been going to Tobago for quite a few years and always fly Continental. I have never gotten into POS in time to get the last hop to Tobago. Usually by the time you get out of the airport it is 10Pm or later.

I have always stayed at the Airport View until last year. I am sure many people on this site will say how bad the Airport View is. I personally have never had a bad experience and always had clean sheets. They have a van that will pick you up for no charge (I tip) and get you back to the airport in the AM. They are about 5 to 10 minutes from the airport. The driver goes off duty at 8AM but I always leave before 8 to try and get an early flight to Tobago. The Airport View has no food but you can usually get cold drinks. I will grab a bite at the airport or wait until I get to Tobago. I have been paying $30 US for a single and if my wife is with me $40 US. I go in January, sometimes my wife comes then or she waits a month or so. She has stayed at the Airport View by herself and has not had any problems. The biggest reason we use the Airport View is that you are only there for a short time just to sleep a bit and it is cheap.

This last January because it has had such good reviews on MyTobago I tried Leo's. Leo is a very nice man and he is close to the airport and does pick you up (for a charge). His rooms are nice and clean and he does fix a breakfast for you. I have nothing bad to say about Leo's and I may stay with him again but it did cost me close to $100 US for about 7 hours.

There is a new guest house close to airport that a friend has told me about which I may stay at in the future and will report on it then.

When coming back to the US we almost missed our Continental flight once due to problems getting out of Tobago in the AM. We stay in Charlotteville and had to leave at 3AM to get the first flight to Trinidad which was canceled. There were 10 people all on the Continental flight and Tobago Express called ahead and they held the flight for us. It was our lucky day.

Now when returning we go to Trinidad the day before and usually stay at the PAX Guest House (http://www.paxguesthouse.com). It is at Mt. St. Benedict the monastery. The rooms are simple. They are famous for their High Tea. We get a very good dinner and a continental breakfast included. We never have the breakfast because we want to get to the airport early and eat at the buffet upstairs after checking in. Pax has hiking trails and some good bird watching. It is about thirty minutes from the airport. They will arrange transport and include it in the price. It is more expensive but is a pleasent place to relax. Great night view of the city from the front porch.

In the past we have also gone to Trinidad a few days before our return flight and stayed at the Le Grande Almandier in Grande Riviere on the north coast (http://www.legrandealmandier.com). It is where the Leatherback turtles nest. From March to August peaking May-June it is a fantastic experience to see these turtles. Le Grande Almandier is a nice place with food to die for, some of the best meals we have ever had in T&T. It is 2 1/2 to 4 hours from the airport depending on time of day and road/weather conditions. They will make transport arrangements or you can rent a car. It is expensive but worth doing once in your life.

Annie, hope you did not get tired of reading, have a great time in Tobago. If I can be of any further assistance let me know. Phil
Annie Reardon

Pax Guest House/Brahma Bhuta/Airport View?

Post by Annie Reardon »

Following up on these recommendations:
the Pax Guest House has never answered my e-mails, but sounds like a ncie place- maybe I need to call??

the Brahma Bhuta reservations system says I have to pay for all 4 beds, even though there are only 2 of us, so that comes to more than $120 for the brief time we are there.

Is the Airport View the same as the Airport Suites? I am still considering reserving there, (Suites) they have replied to my request for info.

So, here it is Monday, I'm arriving Wednesday, and still no place to stay!!
But, I am not yet worried!!

Any last minute thoughts? recommendations, anyone?
thanks,
annie
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Give Danny a call or email direct. He will fix it for you. Mention my name although probably not needed.

Good luck, Hugh
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Annie,
The Airport View Guest House (not really a house) is different from the Suites. The phone number for the View is 868-669-4186. Remember it is not much but we consider it safe, close, cheap and will pick you up. They require $20 US deposit for your room key which you get back in the morning. They will take a credit card but we usually pay US cash.

Another place that some friends stay, but I have heard it is getting run down, is Bel Air International. It is close and they pick up.

I would not stay at Pax if it is just for overnight from an arriving Continental flight. You would miss dinner and it is a longer drive to the airport.

After you get done with Customs at the airport you go through a set of doors and a bunch of guys want to set you up with a taxi. I would not take one myself. Just to the right as you come through the doors is a tourist information place. It has sliding glass doors and they will call the place you are staying to make sure you get picked up. Ask what kind of vehicle it will be and if the hotel or guest house name is on it.

Phil
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

pay with cash at airport view... they are not sooo good with cards... experience... it is really just a place to rest till the morning, nothing more!

steph
Annie Reardon

Post by Annie Reardon »

To Hugh, Phil, Brian, Steph, and everyone else who has helped-Thank you so much for all your helpful information. Late last night I had to make last minute reservations for the Tobago Express flight on the following morning, completely forgot that part! And they wanted to know where I was staying etc. So, I ended up making reservations at Brahma Bhuta Guest House, that someone else on mytobago had recommended. The rate is $80 and they will transport from and to airport, and give us breakfast. So, I hope that works out ok. (I really don't where it is located!).

So, any last minute advice or recommendations? We are staying at Sea Breeze in Castara the first 5 days, and then north to Top River Pearl in Charlotteville for the next 5 days. Plan on doing lots of snorkeling and swimming, a few day trips- via boat to other water spots; hike into rain forest. Alos plan on eating lots of fruits and veggies and fresh fish! My daughter wants to go on Sunday to "Sunday School".

Anyway, today and tonight are the last times I'll be on computer, until I can go to the internet cafes in Castara, will probably try it once or twice!

Thank you again for your info and time,
Annie
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Annie,

Please say Hello to Danny for me. He is a wonderful guy who will take good care of you. His place is in Diego Martin in a quiet residential area. He is very dependable and will get you where you need to be, when you need to be there.

I'll be in Tobago July through mid August. You will be a convert by then.

Enjoy, Hugh

Return to “General Accommodation”