any updates on Banana Boat Inn or Man-of-War Cottages?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
L. Brooks

any updates on Banana Boat Inn or Man-of-War Cottages?

Post by L. Brooks »

We are looking for accommodations for 2 couples in Charlotteville for Feb. 2008, and the location of these 2 properties sounds ideal by being on the beach. All of the reviews I have read are a bit old and some not very positive. Has anyone stayed at either in the last year and how are they doing? I notice that the Banana Boat Inn is listed for sale so is the service ok or is it run down? Any recommendations would be appreciated for a small, clean and possibly quirky place on the beach.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello L.

You are probably reading the situation correctly. Stay there, but only on condition that you have chosen those properties for their stunning beachside location and are not worried about the quality of the accommodation, etc.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
L. Brooks

Post by L. Brooks »

Hi Steve,
I am not sure if your reply is helping our situation any....or just scaring us off! :lol: Have you had any actual contact with either place lately? Could you recommend any other place in Charlotteville? We are not looking for a five star but do appreciate clean and safe, preferably close to the water. Thanks.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi L

My love of Tobago started in the Man O' War Bay cottages 50 years ago. Sadly, they haven't changed much since those days. What was once the ultimate Robinson Crusoe experience is now just a very sad and run-down reminder of those wonderful times.

I can't answer your question directly, simply because I don't know what is "acceptable" to you. All I can tell you is that neither of the properties that you mentioned would be on our list. Having said that, I know that there are people who would love them. It all depends upon what you are looking for and what you are used to.

If you are looking for "star rated" accommodation, then Charlotteville is not the village for you. Nowhere in the village is more than a minute or two's walk from the beach. See the reviews for properties that we know intimately and can recommend.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Hi L,

We stay at the Man-o-War Bay Cottages. Like Steve said there are people who would love them and we are those people. We think of them as like an up north on the lake in Michigan cottage. And like Steve said it is what is 'acceptable" to you. They are definitely not the Hilton. If you want everything all shiny and new you may not want to stay there.

The cottage we stay in sometimes has the waves coming right up to the porch. You can't beat the location.

The cottages have kitchens. We do alot of cooking.

We get clean sheets and towels and the place is cleaned every 3 days.

We feel safe, but we don't leave the doors unlocked at night or when we are away. We also don't leave valuables unattended and we certainly are not flashy.

During the time we are there we see alot of repeat visitors. Some have been coming back to Man-o-War Cottages for over 30 years.

If you are still considering the Cottages I could recommend a specific cottage or if not some other place in Charlotteville.

Return to “General Accommodation”