good stay at Canoe Bay

17-room beachside apartment resort at Canoe Bay (listing)
K. Boone

good stay at Canoe Bay

Post by K. Boone »

I spent a week at Canoe Bay in mid-August and found it to be excellent value. With an offer of stay-6-nights/get the 7th free, available through http://www.holidayintobago.com the cost was just a little over $50 US a night (including tax!). The grounds are beautiful, spacious and peaceful, the beach very pleasant. I don't know what it's like during high season, but it was very uncrowded without one's feeling isolated either. Laid-back and relaxing, with especially glorious sunsets!

My studio apartment was spacious and well-appointed. Get a first-floor (2nd-floor for Americans!) room to catch the ocean breezes and a lovely view.

Just a few caveats. The Woolers are right -- a car is absolutely essential, as Canoe Boy is located down a long dirt track (which adds to the uncrowded charm, in my opinion). Don't plan on strolling into town from here! Although there is mention of a restaurant, Canoe Bay is better viewed as a self-catering accommodation, at least in low season. The restaurant was not open during my stay, although the pleasant beach bar was open in the afternoons. Not a problem, with the aforementioned essential car, but you'll need to make that essential early morning coffee yourself! The apartments are well-equipped with dishes, utensils, a two-burner hotplate, electric kettle, toaster oven, and refrigerator, so cooking is very plausible. Lastly, the lack of in-room telephones may present a few inconveniences, although guests may use the hotel phone when the office is open. A guest with a need to make regular calls, or be regularly accessible, however, would want to have a workable mobile.

I should add that I am a woman who traveled solo; I didn't find Canoe Bay's relative isolation to feel unsafe, somewhat the contrary actually. The staff are congenial and helpful, and all in all, it's a very good place to stay. If you're looking for pampering and amenities, look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a very clean, comfortable, VERY reasonably priced, beautiful and "unspoiled" little corner of paradise -- as I was -- I would definitely recommend Canoe Bay.

Return to “Canoe Bay Resort”