Guest Report

17-room beachside apartment resort at Canoe Bay (listing)
C Warren

Guest Report

Post by C Warren »

Let me begin by saying the family have just had a fantastic week in Tobago but feel folk should be prepared for a few things at Canoe Bay. The bay/beach itself is just gorgeous as we wanted somewhere quiet with safe swimming for the children with low key tourism.I booked 8 months previously(had informed them we would be arriving on our children's joint 7th and 9th birthdays)so was disappointed when we were shown No 2 as the 2nd bedroom had just one double bed and no window! A camp bed was set up which the 7 year could just fit into but made the small dark room very cramped. All the curtains are hanging off the other windows(from a previous wedding party apparantly)and were then tucked behind the rails when I asked if they could remedy it-so we still couldn't open and close the curtains!We are a couple of old back packers,not into the luxury end of the market, but I would describe these definately as basic but adequate "tired" apartments and not villas!
A gigantic marquee totally obscured the view of the sea as another wedding for 200 quests was being prepared for the next day.All of the prep,washing up of crockery,cutlery and glassware was done from No 1(we later found out had 2 single beds in the 2nd bedroom but weren't offered despite no one booking in after wedding party left?)and the (very loud!)sound system set up outside No. 3.The lack of sound proofing bewteen the rooms is something to consider as you really can hold conversations beween the rooms!We camp a lot and it's quieter in a tent as there is distance between tents! The lovely Tobagoin bride and her entourage stayed up ALL night talking (understandable excitement!)and by 4am I gave up trying to sleep (after an 8 hour flight from UK).By 5.30am we were outside commiserating with them about the torrential down pours but it brightened up for their wedding thank goodness!.With 200 people milling about on our 1st day we made ourselves scarce (advice from bride!)and came back later to find all the cleaning up being done from No1 - which meant no hot water!
Construction work going on down the road approaching Canoe Bay -building of new road for"eco"industrial park and forest next door being totally cleared by bulldozers.The owner,Mr. James,told us he is planning to build another 50 cabannas at Canoe Bay which we think will spoil it as the beach is small and feels just about right with the day trippers that use it as well as the guests.If we go back as a family we would ask for No1 and find out if there are any events planned as it does make a difference.
Having said all that we did have a lovely week and visited many other beautiful bays and beaches-a fantastic island.

Return to “Canoe Bay Resort”