Canoe Bay Resort

17-room beachside apartment resort at Canoe Bay (listing)
Barry

Canoe Bay Resort

Post by Barry »

I'm planning my second trip to Tobago and one of the accomodation options is Canoe Bay resort. I would be grateful for any information anyone has on the resort or accomodation - particularly the two bed apartments. I've seen one or two references to the beach as being very pleasant but not much about the resort itself.

I would be very grateful for any comments.

Thanks

Barry
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Barry

When are you thinking of going?

Yes, Canoe Bay is something of a hidden treasure on the Atlantic Coast and so handy for anyone in the Crown Point area. Very popular, but without getting crowded. Consequently, we are going to stay at and review the Canoe Bay Resort during our next trip - if memory serves me correctly, we are there for about 4 days from Feb 12th (don't hold me to those dates). My review will be written in situ, but not published until sometime in March when I get back to the UK and can do the final editing and put it on the website. However, I shall almost certainly be doing a "holiday report" on a weekly basis, much as I did on my last trip.

Other than that, I can only say that we only choose places to review when we are satisfied that they are places worthy of recommendation.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Barry

Canoe Bay

Post by Barry »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the prompt response. If you are going to stay then it certainly gives me confidence that it will be fine. Unfortunately school precludes us visiting until late June next year but I like to book as early as possible - avoids disappointement. I'm banking on the rainy season holding off a little for us.

I contacted Glyn K. off-line as I was considering the Rex and thought he would have some first-hand info on the pool. He was very helpful but also suggested a few alternatives and Canoe Bay sounds affordable and pleasant. I am also considering a return to Villa Gillailes as an option but the object was to reduce the budget on last year a little if possible - not that it wasn't value for money. My problem is that we can't go to Europe or even the US anymore - we're hooked on Tobago. Your fault!

Thanks again and the site goes from strength to strength.

Regards

Barry
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi Barry

[Steve - your VIP suite with complementary helicopter and 80ft yacht awaits you at Canoe Bay on the 14th, not 12th!]
when you arrive pick up one of the free guides in the arrivals lounge that will give you a few ideas and a map,then look for a copy of Tobago Today which is a really good news magazine, if you cant find one ask glyn to get you one.Both have plenty of ideas of places and restaurants to visit.

If like us you are starting at Canoe Bay then be ready for pure carribean beauty.Its about two mile down a track off the main road it has a bar and a pool was being built but wasnt ready for us.They have ice creams and some food at lunch time only and if you are intending staying for lunch its best to let them know so the cook is kept on. If you order a cheeseburger you only get cheese so if you want beef as well you have to say so!
The owner Ashton is usually about he is very friendly and knowledgable,he ha stwo Kayaks which he let us borrow but only on the agreement we did not lend them to anyone else as he is not insured as a boat operator.

The place is great because its so beautiful and tranquil,there are sun beds you can put around or just in the water which is nice.In the mornings you see pelicans and osprey catching fish right in front of you and you will see lizards and all sorts of fish,at night the sound of wildlife is like you imagine you will hear in the jungle.you will get some large millipedes getting into your chalet and i suggest you take plug in mosquito killers just in case.Its 110v by the way.Ther is american Tv to watch.My orange mobile worked but cost me £1.50 per min to call UK.

As previously mentioned its not very westernised so make sure you take your own suncreams,snorkels, lilos etc.If you are white skinned you may as my wife did (she's blonde as well) get children wanting to touch you on the beach because you are in the minority on their island and a bit of a novelty in some places.The people are very friendly and love England more than you can imagine they follow our politics and of course the cricket.

There are loads of beautiful beaches the best are probably Castara beach and Englishmans Bay.The water is deeper and clearer than Canoe Bay which is really to shallow for big fish.We saw ray fish 8ft long and a barracuda at Castara.There are two coral reefs one at each end of the island and you can get glass bottomed boats to both and then jump in to see the rare brain corals and more fabulous fish.

Eating in the evening,the restaurants are all spread out and you have to drive so stock up the fridge inthe chaet for when you get back.Pelican Reef was our favourite restaurant, note they eat earlier ther than in Europe and you may not get served if you arrive after 2030hrs but it does go dark at 6pm so you will probably be ready to go back out sooner.
A few times my kids were so exhausted after their days out that they just wanted to chill in the chalet so i went into Scarborough and brought back Pizzas chips ice cream etc.Scarborough is the capital but is like a British town.There is a pizza place and a chicken place next to each other opposite the police station down by the dock,both very cheap,the chips are better in the chicken shop so mix and match! The kids favourite eating out place was The Cat and Fiddle pub on the old Milford Road at Lambeau,its quite close to Canoe Bay and they do english food at unbelievably cheap prices as well as having sat tv and pool tables on a balcony upstairs.

Pigeon Point beach is owned by a brewery so you have to pay to go onto the complex but again its cheap and well worth it because of the facilities.You get a wrist band like in a theme park.Ther are shops and eating places as well a water sports centre.We went out on the Banana and rubber ring boat rides aand i had a private windsurfing lesson and within an hour could safely go out into the shallow sea and back repeatedly.

Other recommendations include the Arnos Vale Hotel for afternoon tea.Its in a fabulous position just on the edge of the jungle but by the sea also,you will see hummigbirds and woodpeckers and all sorts of birds including tame but wild parrots right in front of you.

The Argyll waterfall,Once you turn off the main road you will get people trying to stop you and offer to be your guide ignore them and drive to the end of the track wher you pay and get the option of an official guide which is well worth the small fee and tip at the end as they show you fruits and things you would miss otherwiseyou can swim and dive in the waterfall so take a towel etc.

Beware of rogue guides at Speyside as well, which is where one of the reefs is they stop you as you enter the village drive past them stop at Jennas treehouse restaurant for lunch then go on the boat alongside.
There are numerous steel bands on the island but if you dine at the Golden Star in Crown Point on a Wed night they have a steel band visits while you dine.

There is a daily souvenier market at Store Bay but it shuts about 6pm again unlike european markets.

A jungle walk is worth doing and we did ours the same day as the Argyll waterfall,its damp and dark in the jungle and there are loads of freshwater crabs running about so either borrow the boots they provide or where some good shoes of your own.Agree the price in advance with the guide we didn't and though we had a fabulous time he charged us about £30 for all of us and considering the min working wage there is 80p an hour he nearly had a weeks wages out of us for two hours work!

Believe me there is more to do than you can fit in and its fabulous.
I dug around my emails and located a copy of a review email of Canoe Bay (mainly Tobago actually but some mention of Canoe Bay) sent by one guest there (Uk family of four with 2 young daughters who stayed in august 2003) to another prospective guest - I was given permission by the guest to share it.

Here goes:

Hope this helps you and others decide. I can't comment here myself for obvious reasons!

Regards
Glyn Kirpalani

Return to “Canoe Bay Resort”