Guest Report

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
Julian Scott

Guest Report

Post by Julian Scott »

This was my first visit to Tobago for a long, long time and I was slightly concerned that the sheer beauty and unspoilt nature of the island would have disappeared.

Whereas there has been some development in the south as we headed up the coast road toward Castara it was as beautiful as I remembered.

Castara Retreats fit in so well to the landscape and community and can be thoroughly recommended.

First impression (from the car park) is rather OK but doesn't do justice to the fantastic views at the lodge level. We stayed in Fisherman's. Everything about the apartment was A1 - spotlessly clean, well furnished, lots of space, everything worked, all the things to hand to ensure a comfortable stay.

There are a couple of British plug sockets in the living room for those of UK origin - check with Castara if the load rating is OK if you intend to use them.

Large efficient fridge (and very quiet!) in the kitchen plus a selection of very sharp knives with pots/pans for those who want to cook.

We didn't find mosquitos any more of a problem than you would find sitting outside an English pub on a summer's eve. But the visits from a huge selection of brightly coloured birds, including a friendly hen and regular waddle pasts by the Agoutis only added to the pleasure.

The walk up and down to the beach is no trouble at all - yes it's a bit steep in parts but even the averagely fit person can be settled on the beach inside a couple of minutes.

Special mention must be made of Porridge who was a joy to encounter.

Heads up a top notch team (woke up at 6 one morning to find someone quietly brushing fallen leaves off the outside deck) and provides a wealth of knowledge as well as being great to just stand and chat with.

He also has a sense of a guest's well-being and a concern that everything is as it should be!

So in conclusion a big recommendation as a place to stay with beautiful surroundings and great customer service.

Just a couple of notes for those of sensitive hearing!

The apartments are totally open the the outside and though there are shutters that can be closed doing so would rather spoil the experience.

Sound propagates up the valley from both the waves on the beach and from any parties in the village - there were a couple that went on to around 2 in the morning when we were there (Castara Retreat's website mentions possible parties so is both informative and honest) - also the ever present waves soundtrack for most will be a lovely backdrop but it isn't a tranquil environment.

Castara are developing a Pagoda that is directly below Fisherman's into a restaurant. Conversations from the Pagoda can be clearly heard inside Fisherman's so if this was to become a busy venue then there could be some localised noise disturbance.

I am sensitive to noise so these comments are qualified and yes I will return to Castara if the opportunity arises!

Finally if I can make a small observation - wine from the honesty fridge in the Pagoda was TT200 a bottle - we paid TT 160/ bottle for the same wine at the Tobago hotel we stayed at before moving to Castara and Poundsavers do sell the same wine for TT85. So it is a bit of a premium.

Final word - if you do get a chance to visit Tobago then Castara Retreats is a fantastic place to go.

SteveFelgate
Newbie Visitor
Newbie Visitor

Response to our Guest's Report

Post by SteveFelgate »

We appreciate Julian making time to give such a thoughtful review, and whilst we love to hear all the positives it is very useful always to hear anything that we can improve, or to revise. We keep our website up to date so that we can keep clients abreast of all that is happening in any given year. This past few months we have opened a small bar and offer a good range of drinks and these include cocktails and vintage rums. We compare our prices with other similar establishments and as far as we know our prices compare well, and feedback from clients has generally been positive. As I was at Castara Retreats at the same time as Julian I would have appreciated hearing his thoughts on our wine prices, as we endeavour to ensure that all our pricing represents good value to our clients, whether it be for accommodation, laundry, bar or restaurant and direct feedback is very helpful. The wine prices are a bit problematic as we have only recently found a supplier who sells at a wholesale price, and consequently we have, until the past week or so, been buying at retail prices. Our house wine is Sunrise, and this costs us $98 tt per bottle from Pennysavers and we sell it in our bar at $150 tt. The mark-up seems reasonable to me as restaurants in the UK generally mark-up wines by 200% and more so our price represents a rather lower mark-up than most restaurants. We purchase Sunrise at Pennysavers, and I assume this is the same place as Julian, so I am not sure how he came to his figure of $85tt bought from them. I also do not know how Julian paid $200 tt to ourselves for this wine and should he have done so that sounds like an error on our part. We only sell Casillero del Diablo for $200 per bottle and we did not have this in stock when Julian was staying with us. So we owe Julian an apology if he paid $200 tt for a bottle of Sunrise.

Since Julian departed, Kenny, our new restaurant partner, has found a good source of wines at wholesale prices and we are now selling very drinkable carafes of white and red (750ml) at $100 tt. Our profit margin on wine is the least of any of our drinks, and listening to Julian we will think a bit more about what we offer and what we can reasonably charge.

Anyone in Castara is welcome to our bar, and do please talk to Kenny if you have any feedback.

Steve
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Re: Guest Report

Post by David Watkins »

Julian,
There is a wholesale wine merchants in the building in front of Pennysavers Carnbee.They do a wide range of S American and Californian wines both in bottles and in 3 litre bottles.Its worth a try,just go down the corridor next to the pharmacy and its the last shop on the left.
David
Julian
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Julian »

David

I had looked for this place after reading about it on MyTobago but failed to find it!

I think the wine industry will start to get more exciting in Tobago - The prices are currently high and I'm not sure if this is due to volume or taxation - there are some fantastic wines to be had nowadays out of Argentina and Chile which are closer to Tobago than the UK yet retail prices are currently about double.

Also drinking wine in a hot humid atmosphere is different from most European restaurant conditions so full bodied, fresh flavours do well and certainly chill red wines to cellar temperature (10C/50F) before bringing to the table otherwise they'll be too florid and alcoholic once the first glass has been downed.

But I'm looking forward to a greater selection of wines on my next visit!

Julian
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Julian,
If you stand with your back to the road on the left is The Blue Machine atm,on the far right is Dove Drugs.To the left of Dove's shop window is a door that looks as if it is the entrance to Dove,go through there and walk down the corridor and the wine shop is just there.Her hours of opening are a bit "Tobagonian" as there are only two them running the place and making deliveries.
Regards David
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Julian

David is quite correct, but please note that he is talking about the Penny Savers in Carnbee - not the main one in Canaan (nearer the airport).

I made the mistake of confusing the two yesterday after David's reply. I was so delighted by the opportunity to wind him up that I dived in and posted a reply telling him that the arcade of shops he was referring to was redeveloped a few years back and is now gone. Then, just minutes later, Tanja at Yes Tourism sent me an email telling me senility was clearly creeping in and I was confusing the two stores. Quite right - possibly on both scores. So, I deleted the post as nobody (hopefully) will have read it.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hello Steve,
I remember that one 'cus Tanya's husband ,Bonesy, was the manager.
Hope all is well with you and Jill,I'll try and meet up soon'
David %*}

Return to “Castara Retreats”