Guest Report

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
Jane Cosnett

Guest Report

Post by Jane Cosnett »

Every accommodation on Tobago reflects upon the island, whether for good or for bad and I believe that Tobago should feel justifiably proud having Castara Retreats acting as an ambassador.

Half of me wants to tell the whole world about the place, the other half wants to keep it to myself, a carefully held secret.

The location of Castara Retreats is stunning; the accommodation is lovingly crafted with great attention to detail. They’re built using local materials, and designed to not only make the most of the scenery but also to blend into it seamlessly.

The gardens are bright and colourful with both flowers and beautiful birds. There are birdfeeders everywhere and it is easy to spend a morning in a hammock, watching the birds and lizards scrap over bits of bread.

There are plenty of things to do: trips into the rain forest with Newton to spot birds; visit the cocoa plantation with Porridge; snorkelling safaris round the bay; car hire, go off independently to visit other places; boat trips with Seon and Shaq, incorporating snorkelling, fishing, a beach barbeque and, in our very lucky case, swimming with a pod of dolphins that were passing.

The local village itself is also charming and it was always good to buy the delicious bread from the ladies working the open-air clay oven.

Of course, Castara Retreats wouldn’t work nearly as well as it does without the people who make it all happen and, the real jewels in the crown of this magical place are the people who every day turn the very nice into the truly memorable.

If your idea of deep joy involves a weekend in Blackpool or Reno, or a week’s holiday in Ibiza or Las Vegas then Castara Retreats may very well not be for you, as you would find it too quiet and relaxing. However, if there is anywhere in the world that could possibly persuade you to try the quiet route, then it has to be this beautiful, charming, peaceful place.

Go, you will love it, but please, don’t even think of trying to change a thing!

Return to “Castara Retreats”