Guest Report

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
Paul Mullens

Guest Report

Post by Paul Mullens »

Its my 6th visit to castara retreats over the last 8 years.

i have stayed in all the lodges except the new one.

nice surprise on arrival at fishermans lodge , new cooker , super large fridge freezer, and just below at the new pagoda resturant a large chiller cabinet well stocked with beers, lime coolers even nice dry white wine and even proscecco for us to help our selves to on an honesty basis
a great saving in energy rather than walking up the hill laden with heavy bags.

the roofed seating area had been equipped with new chairs ands other enhancements to make our stay very comfortable.

the pagoda resturant, can be deescribed as fitting in perfectly in a completely un obstrusive way, i liked the natural wood exteriors and this blends very well with the modern kitchen facilities.

i have stayed at the other end of the island usually for a couple of nights on arrival each time we have come, usually at the kariwak, they epitomise be3ing in the caribeen and produce meals using their own vegetables herbs etc, that establishment oozes the better things in life and simple good quality food.

the pagoda resturant for the 10 times i eat there provided very tasty nicely prepared, presented and cooked meals, the fish i had most nights was delicious and its taste wasnt
smothered in other flavours just a light sprinking of herbs from the garden.

my wife tried a selection of the other dishes and found the stuffed peppers delicious. she liked the fish as well

to me the service was perfect, kenny is a delightful mine host and his young assistant tending the bar, alocal school master and scout leader ably assisted him, a nice team ,
i hav e had good wines at the kariwak but nowhere else unless we took our own, but in fairness its a place for long drinks and having tobagos stunning scencery more than makes up for the odd glass of wine.

but i have to say my wife loved the lemon & lime cocktails, and having a decent glass or two of red was an unexpected treat

so overall we eat at the pagoda with odd snacks at chinos, he deserves support as well

i would go back to castara, it means something to me that people come out of their houses and greet us upon our return
and after all i wouldnt have done some 50.000 miles getting to and from tobago unless the island , its people and castara wasnt a special place.

and not least i must not forget porridge and jeanelle, they are very special people who co ordinate things to make it all work.

i would say we are very lucky tourists
rs

Return to “Castara Retreats”