Guest Report

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
Ali Kedge

Guest Report

Post by Ali Kedge »

It's only the second holiday we've had together since our children, now 20 and 22, left home - so fair to say there was some hesitation before we left. Traveling without a family changes the emphasis from herding everyone and being busy parents on tour - to simply being a couple again, a middle-aged couple at that. Without the distractions of a noisy family would Castara Retreats shape up? Would it be able to cope with a potentially picky couple with too much time on their hands............? OK, stop holding your breath, it was gorgeous. From being picked up at the airport it felt safe - the service was excellent and well thought out and Porridge and his wife Jeanelle were warm and welcoming.

We stayed in Coasthanger - the fabulous wooden construction was so gorgeous that I got on my own nerves trying to work out how I could replicate the design for a summer house back in Wales. We can all dream! Any hesitation and pre-hol nerves went immediately - and I think the key is in the name - Retreats. There was just a big chillin' factor that kicked in and we both got into the rhythm of Castara - we went snokelling (amazing), took breakfast at Chino's (mmm salt fish & bake) Porridge took us out with some friends on his boat (caught our own fish for the BBQ), drank Carib on our terrace as the sun went down, ate dinner at Marguerite's (shrimp ahoy) - everything at Castara pace. Time out. And within all this I actually managed to read 5 books - swinging in the hammock or sunning on the terrace...chillin to the max for me. It felt safe - we didn't even bother to lock the doors, which for me is probably a first.

And because Castara Retreats is such a special location, other residents we met were warm and friendly. Really lovely and we both had a gorgeous time - just the two of us!

Return to “Castara Retreats”