Guest Report

15 open-plan lodges and apartments on a steep hillside (listing)
Julia Bluestone

Guest Report

Post by Julia Bluestone »

April 2012. We loved Castara Retreats-and staying in a real Caribbean community. This is a great location for people who like to get away from the tourists, want to get out of a hotel, and are relaxed about their vacation experience. We stayed in Hummingbird 1, which has fantastic views. Specifically, here is what I liked about Castara Retreats. I like staying in places that are open to air-the windows all open wide, so you feel like you are living outside-yet you can still shut the windows and leave the louvers open for security, if you want that. I liked that the kitchen had what I needed-an electric kettle for tea, a French press, enough materials to cook and prep meals with. We also really liked being close to the village, but also having separation. The other travelers here were really pleasant, and you can spend as much time with them as you wish to. The owners happened to be here and they are fantastic-have invested into the local community, which is great to see. We loved staying here, it was perfect. Gorgeous, relaxed-just loved it.

This is what I liked about the Castara location. I liked that the people in the village were friendly, but never obtrusive. No one trying to sell us things on the beach, etc. I felt completely comfortable walking everywhere, no matter what time of day or night. We did the boat trip w/ Porridge and it was fabulous--great snorkeling, nice lunch, actually swam with a dolphin for a few minutes-truly amazing. We've been to Negril, Antigua, Vieques and this has been our best Caribbean vacation so far - both b/c of the village, and being away from tourists, and staying in a gorgeous apartment. Next time, we'll bring the kids.

Return to “Castara Retreats”