Where in Tobago with 1 yr old baby?

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Marco C

Where in Tobago with 1 yr old baby?

Post by Marco C »

Hi everyone :D , if anyone can make any suggestions/recommendations for a first-time visit to Tobago with a baby just over a year old who'll be taking his first steps right about at the time of the visit I would be most grateful.
We are looking for a nice hotel (preferably small) with a pool which is safe for the baby (no big steps leading down etc), and easy access to a nice sandy beach. I also need to be within easy reach of the best diving in Tobago (is this Speyside?) as I'll be doing plenty of diving in the mornings to then go back and spend the afternoon with mother and baby. Also, if it's near a small town with bars and restaurants so mother and baby are entertained when not at the beach and we can all go out for the evening that would also be great because if we have to stay and eat in the hotel restaurant then we may as well go to the Maldives instead. Finally, air con and somewhere to buy nappies from would also be a very welcome plus.
Incidentally, any warnings NOT to go to a particular place because of the baby are just as welcome as recommendations.
Thankyou all
Marco
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: Where in Tobago with 1 yr old baby?

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Marco,

As you say, the absolute best diving is in Speyside, but Speyside is fairly remote so you'd need to take most of the baby's supplies with you if you're going up there. There are more baby-friendly places in the south of the island, and the diving down there is still very good! Several dive centres will still offer you trips to you to Speyside, which is only an hour or so's drive from the south. There is more to do on the south end of the island in the evenings for sure! Pampers / Huggies / wipes / baby formula are all readily available from the supermarkets (as are jars of baby food), but there will be less sizes / types in the north as there just aren't the supermarkets up there to stock the range!

Wherever you end up, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself!
Lisa.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Marco,
Are you planning to stay in a hotel or self catering? this will ofcourse affect any reccomendations.

Linda
Ronald
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Ronald »

Hi Marco

As Lisa say, Speyside is good for your diving, but it doesn´t fit into your other specifications, it´s in the north of Tobago, no supermarkets just smaller local shops and not many restaurants. For you Speyside is good but for you wife Crown Point area is the best choise.

There are no hotel with placed direct ON the beach, it´s not allowed in Tobago, they are just nearby the beach as all beaches are public except for Coco Reefs handmade beach and Canoe Beach.
I don´t know any hotel with a pool adjusted for a baby or smaller children, so whereever you will stay, she will need to keep an eye on the baby around the pool. But maybe some with smaller children can give you more information about where it´s best to stay.

I would say that the best is to choose a hotel or a self-catering in the Crown Point area where your wife have more choises during daytime and go with the diving tours for your diving at diffferent areas around Tobago. Its´a small island yo know.

There are differnet hotels there, both small and large ones, mostly of them do have AC, but that´s something you can check out here. There are also many restaurants in the Crown Point area, both smaller places and very good ones. There are some smaller shops and mini-markets with food too, and the supermarket Penny Savers in Canaan is only a few minutes away with car.

The airport isn´t busy so there aren t much noise from the aircraft, not even when a 747 arrive.

Ýou find a nice public beach as Store Bay Beach wich also have beach bars, local food and a local restaurant and they also have small huts for different things for teh visitors. Change rooms with showers and toilets, and they are working!
The beach has sun chairs for rent and there´s always 4-5 life guards on duty. No reef in front of the beach so the water is clear but it´s not shallow. Very nice sand all ove. Divers also use to be outside this beach but I have no idea how it looks down there.

Pidgeon Point Beach is a few minutes away with a car, some small huts with clothes, a beach restaurant and this beach is on one side very shallow becaus of a reef, the water is very warm here. On the other side, Bucco side, more breze here and the water isn´t so warm here.
Ouside Pidgeon Point you also find diving centres, I guess you can find more info on that here at myTobagoinfo. Thay believe operate both via boat and by car.

I believe you will get all needed information here, just ask again after been checking all other info here.
Ronald
Rachel Crew
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Rachel Crew »

The two places that come to mind in the Crown Point area are Kariwak Village or Toucan Inn - both are small resorts with pools and both are within easy walking distance of Store Bay and all the amenities in Crown Point. You would be close to a number of dive shops, but any good dive shop will pick you up from where you are staying anyway. The restaurants in both hotels have high-chairs; you are also close to a number of other resaurants and bars.

Jimmy's minimart in Crown Point has basic baby supplies (nappies/wipes/formula) but you would get a better selection at Pennysavers supermarket in Canaan , a 5-minute drive or taxi ride from Crown Point.
Rachel & Marlon Winter-Roach
CocoMotion - http://www.cocomotion.net
Marco C

Post by Marco C »

Linda P wrote:Marco,
Are you planning to stay in a hotel or self catering? this will ofcourse affect any reccomendations.

Linda
Hi Linda, I'm open to either really but a travel agent suggested the Toucan Inn and someone else here on the forum also mentioned it. Can you comment or make any other suggestions? :D
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

We have never stayed at The Toucan, but have enjoyed a few meals there, it is close to amenities so would be ideal for you. If you want to self cater, we stayed at Rainbow Resort last year, and will be going back in a couple of weeks. The pool would be good for a toddler as there is a low wall about 12" high all around it, no problem for an adult to step over, but it would slow down a curious toddler, there are wide steps at the shallow end which are child friendly. Rainbow is also convenient for Store Bay and Pigeon Point. I do think that either Crown Point on Bon Accord areas would suit you best, your wife could easily walk to the beach in the mornings, browse the shops / stalls around the area, or relax around the pool. The larger hotels do not have many amenities in the immediate area.
I would reccomend reading every possible review on places that you consider, but do bear in mind that old reviews may be now out of date.

Linda

Return to “General Accommodation”