When to book

Questions or comments should be posted in the property's own sub-forum, below. Use this sub-forum for general accommodation questions and comment. Please DO NOT post accommodation reports in the forum. Reports should be posted in the property's listing in the Accommodation section of the main site, where you will also be able to include a Satisfaction rating with your report.
Ben W

When to book

Post by Ben W »

We've just returned from a great week in Kenya and are now planning to book our accommodation for a trip to Tobago in April.

We were waiting to book until after our Kenya holiday to see if it would influence on where we decided to stay in Tobago. We stayed in an all inclusive resort right on the beach in Kenya, the missus loved staying right on the beach but the all inclusive wasn't such a big deal as we didn't really drink all that much, so its likely that we'll go for somewhere on the beach but where board options aren't really an issue.

My main question at the mo isn't about a particular resort however, as opposed to when to book. Is it best to get in as early as possible now, considering the trip is now just 6 months away, or should we wait closer to the time to try and get a cheaper deal?

Also, like I said we will probably try to stay on the beach for the majority of our stay but may want to stay elsewhere for a couple of nights, is this likely to result in costs being more? Do Hotels offer discounts for a full week?

Cheers
Ben
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: When to book

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hi Ben,

In light of the financial situation in the world at the moment, I don't think we're expecting a particularly busy season in Tobago, so I'd be inclined to leave my money where it is. I really don't foresee prices going up! I'd think you'd be more likely to get good deals by leaving it until nearer the time, personally. However, the thing to bear in mind is that the Tobago Jazz Festival is usually in April, so accommodation will be harder to find if your visit coincides with those dates. I'm not sure on the exact dates, but I think, from memory, it's usually the last weekend in April. Regardless of where you're staying on the island, the days leading up to, during, and immediatly after JazzFest, are going to be busy here, and accommodation WILL be limited if you book late!

So... if your dates are flexible, leave it 'til nearer, but if you're going to be here for Jazz (or even for the lead-up to Jazz!), book!

Hope this helps!
Lisa.
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

Thanks Lisa, we'll be there from the 16th to the 23rd, so will hopefully just miss it, for both ease of accomodation and because I absolutely HATE Jazz!!!

It is the final full week in April though #-o

I imagine the atmosphere will be great, the noise less so!
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Ben,

Not much real jazz at the Jazz Festival but there will be hordes of visitors on the island when you are planning for your stay so I advise that you book immediately.

Good luck, Hugh 8)
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

Hugh S wrote:Ben,

Not much real jazz at the Jazz Festival but there will be hordes of visitors on the island when you are planning for your stay so I advise that you book immediately.

Good luck, Hugh 8)
Balls, I may see if I can put the fligths back. Does anyone know when the dates will be confirmed??

Edit- Looking at previous years, it seems to have been over the last week in April, which will mean we will just miss it
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Ben the festival proper is on 24/25/26 April,Pan Jazz and jazz on the beach on the 22/23
The ten days prior to and after will be very busy.
David(27 days and 21 hours til take off) :D
Ben W

Post by Ben W »

David Watkins wrote:Ben the festival proper is on 24/25/26 April,Pan Jazz and jazz on the beach on the 22/23
The ten days prior to and after will be very busy.
David(27 days and 21 hours til take off) :D
Thanks David,

BA are gonna charge me the increased surcharge rates if I change my flights so I guess, I'll be there then!

I imagine it will actually be really fun. Has anyone experienced it before??
Lisa Keith
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Lisa Keith »

Hiya Ben,

I've not been (though every year I say I want to go!). In the past, however, the 'Jazz' lineup has included stars such as Sting, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Al Green, Diana Ross, Shakira, Whitney Houston, Smokey Robinson.... the list is long - and, as you'll note, not particularly 'Jazz-y'!

The artists are spread over the three nights and you can go for any combination of nights. The price is more expensive for the last night, which tends to be when the biggest star is on. The tickets aren't cheap (for Tobago), but certainly cheaper than paying to see three or four stars separately. I can't find any line-up list for '09 yet, but http://www.tobagojazzfest.com (I think - from memory) will give you an idea of what happened last year.

Lisa.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

We attended the first one. Stevie Wonder was awesome! It was the only one to happen in the summer when we are in Tobago.

Hugh

Return to “General Accommodation”