Boathouse in Castara

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
AHStewart

Boathouse in Castara

Post by AHStewart »

I am looking for info on this bar/restaurant. ie
Does it sell food all day?
Wed night is a music night I believe, what happens at it, how much and what is included?
When does it start/finish.
Can you just go for a drink?
Cheers
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Re: Boathouse in Castara

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi AH

No, the Boathouse doesn't sell food all day. In fact the opening hours are a mystery to me. It seems to be a case of "we'll open if we feel like it". It would be exceedingly foolish to rely or plan on this restaurant being open.

Yes, Wednesday night is music night (read "tourist rip-off night"). TT$200 (UK$21) per head for what has been, in our experience, lukewarm virtually inedible food and rum punches that have been described to me as the sweetest and weakest on the island. I can't really comment on this because neither Jill or I like spirits (the Boat House does not have an alcohol licence, so its the 'free' rum punch or nothing). In exchange for the exhorbitant entrance price, you get to listen to a steel band and drummers who are interesting for the first fifteen minutes but then somewhat repetitive.

My advice - wait till Friday evening and then travel down to Ru-B-Lou's at Mount Pleasant where the musicians, food and ambience are a lot better and the prices more reasonable.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

The Boathouse has been an enigma to me for many years.

I have been there and had some great times, good food and lovely rum punch ... I have also been there when it just does not click at all and you slope off thinking 'what the hell happened?'.

Ok, no licence means that there will be none of that nice rum punch.

But there are other linked business interests here in Castara with various accomodations that (rightly or wrongly) bring business to the Boathouse and I just think that the Boathouse takes on more than it is able to do and, as a consequence, gets a bad reputation when things go wrong ... it has never coped well (to my knowledge) with the big nights and it is a massive undertaking to recruit extra staff for one-off shows every week.

It seems to be all 'Boom and Bust' ... it cannot rely on one big night a week ... too risky ... think of the bread and butter.

From my experience, I have had some of my finest moments here when it is a quiet day and I feel quite sad that I won't be able to snorkel in for a Rum Punch before I stagger back to the main beach in Castara.

This place just needs managing and to grow organically ... it's a potential gold mine ... right on a beautiful beach ... how can it possibly fail?

Solution? ... Regular hours ... nothing complicated on the food ... fair prices ... steady away ... then people like me would make it their second home when we visit.

I hope the owners don't feel I am negative but they are nice people with a nice place and I really want it to succeed ... it really is a lovely place with arguably the best setting in Castara.

I hope this helps (positively).

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Jack Hargreaves
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Jack Hargreaves »

Hi, folks,
as regards the Boathouse, in Jan this year we found regular opening hours, and good value. Although we are not fussy eaters.
Everybody seems to have missed Stephanie telling us that the Boathouse now has a liqueur licence, mentioned twice on the Waffle site.
Regards , Jack.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

they do have a liquor license now, regular opening hours (6 days a week, just close at nights when nobody shows for dinner at all until eightish on a rainy night... or have a sign out beforehand), lunch every day.

a matter of taste, most of our guests loved the food already and went every day, (maybe worth trying again steve :wink:): there is also a new chef I heard :D

enjoy your stay, wherever you eat :wink:
steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

That's great news ... I will certainly be calling in.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

When we stayed at Seabreeze two years ago for four nites we ate several meals at The Boathouse and found them to be very good. The menu selection was very limited but we found that to be pretty much the norm in Castara. I certainly hope they succeed as I'm looking forward to eating and drinking there next year when we return to Tobago.

Bill 8)
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
Dianne K

Post by Dianne K »

We just returned from our third trip to Castara. We regularly eat at the Boat House as we have always found: 1.it is the best location on the island to enjoy a drink and/or meal 2. the owners and employees are the most accommodating and friendly when compared to some other places we have visited 3. good food (last visit: my husband thought his prawns dinner was perfectly seasoned and I had a delicious chicken in a browned glaze) 4. good entertainment (we enjoy Pan night and the drumming) and 5. fair prices-meals are large and comprably prices to other restaurants in the area. To ensure that visitors/potential visitors can make an informed decision, I think it bears repeating that the Boat House does have a liqour license and does post its hours of operation for the day. Also, the rum punch provided is flavorful yet potent. The Boat House rum punch meets the requirements of a good rum punch-being that you taste punch flavor more so than rum but need to be careful of the kick. Dianne and Tim
Shelley S

Post by Shelley S »

We recently went to Weds night at the Boathouse. The meal was expensive for what it was, lots of not very well cooked vegeatables with a bit of fish. The rum punch was OK though. If we go again we will just go for a drink and the entertainment which was excellent, particularly the drumming.
L.A. Mcdonald
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by L.A. Mcdonald »

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would give an update on the Boathouse as I have just returned from a vacation in Castara.
I have been a repeat visitor to Tobago, and Castara in paricular.
The Boathouse was open six out of seven days of my stay. It is as stated licensed and the bar had lots of cold beer, spirits, rum punch and many other drink options. Brenton, Sharon and staff have worked hard to make this restaurant as lovely as ever. The ambience is welcoming at all times of day. The evenings are beautiful with the lit candles, bamboo walls, cloth ceiling coverings, and conch shells. We spent our last evening at the wednesday steel drum show, and had dinner there which was delicious, filling and reasonably priced.
Little bay certainly is the place to be and thankfully the Boathouse is there to provide relaxation and a cool beverage on a hot sunny day.
Sincerely,
Lori McDonald
Oracle
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Oracle »

I do agree with you, Little Bay is a wonderful place to be - I miss home!
Hardly a Tobago "Rookie"!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hey Oracle wassup man?
David
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

apparently no boathouse rum-punch in NY...he gotta wait until july or so...poor sod :wink:

steph

PS: @oracle...see you sooooon!
Oracle
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Boathouse in Castara

Post by Oracle »

I miss the sun, sand, and rum punch! NYC is getting warm - no place to be in the summer!

Visiting home soon, though!

Hope everyone is keeping Castara and the Boathouse real nice for me! Did I say I miss the Steel Pan Wednesdays? :lol:

Blessings.
Hardly a Tobago "Rookie"!
Glen O
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by Glen O »

Hi. Having stayed at AliBaba's on Heavenly Bay for two weeks in Feb.09 I thought I'd put in my two cents worth. The Boat House does indeed have very cold beer which is a blessing when you've been soaking up the rays. We ate there a number of times, both lunch and supper, and found the food to be good. The prawns we had (on a few occasions) were delicious. We even had a lobster supper one Sunday after the lobster traps were checked and found to be full. Sharon, Paul, the UK girls and the others were very friendly and made the place very inviting. A great place to kick back and have a cold one. I, for one, was very thankful that the Boat House was situated on Little Bay. It made the whole area complete.
Glen
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hey Oro.

good to hear from you. Hopefully I will meet you once in a while like I meet Selvin sometimes, when he comes back from Scotland.
All the best to you
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
Selvin D

Post by Selvin D »

Hi Geisella and Oracle!!!!

Yes back from home to home in Scotland, after a lovely trip to see my family and friends. Hope all is well with you guys. nice to hear from you orecle long time nuh see. I enjoyed getting back on the drum with the boys down in Little Bay. so hope i see you all soon :D
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

I normally only go Castara to buy bread from the old ladies behind Cascreole on a Thursday or Saturday and
probably take a dip in the sea.
Having read all those mixed emotions about the Boathouse, i will check them next time i come across to T'go.
I can't stomach rum punch though, will stay with beers and rum & soda :wink:
Elspeth F
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by Elspeth F »

Hi there, am visiting Tobago next week for my honeymoon and staying in Castara, does anyone know if The Boathouse sells wines?
elly
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

usually they have a red and a white to offer but if you like to make sure....just email sharon at sha39sha @ live.com (without the gaps in the address) and I am sure she will make sure you get some....
sunny greetings
stephanie

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”