Boathouse in Castara

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Boathouse in Castara

Post by Andy K »

It seems i have a talent to find most of the place i go closed these days.
The Boathouse appears to be closed on a Saturday "for Sabbat", how a fisherman who was liming on the porch, put it.
I don't want to criticise the religious belief of anybody, but having a restaurant/bar closed on a Saturday, and this in
a place where tourists have very little choice to go out, one should reconsider the approach.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Andy,

I think that you are being very insensitive about this situation. Certainly the owners know what they are giving up to close on a Saturday but if that is their choice we should all respect it.

Hugh 8)
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Hugh,

i think i did express myself in a very moderate way, in order not to offend anybody. Sorry, Hugh, if i failed.
I just allowed myself to criticise the fact that the restaurant is closed on a Saturday, which i find is inconvenient
for the tourists staying in Castara.

This contribution gives me the opportunity to add that the dirt road, coming down from the main road to The Boathouse and adjacent appartment houses / guest houses, is presently in a state of disrepair, and may cause serious problems for visitors, especially on and after rainy days. The owners of the affected properties should consider repairs a.s.a.p.,
before the road reaches a state that normal cars can't pass there anymore.

Summary: My next attempt to patronize The Boathouse will not be on a Saturday and the transport will be my 4x4 pick-up ;-)
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

just some info: WASA was nice enough to destroy parts of our road a few weeks back to bring the waterpipes down (that was just a few weeks after some business owners from little bay fixed it at own cost). we are currently waiting for the installation to finish and the road to get fixed again.

the tourists in the village couldn't care less if the boathouse is closed on saturday or any other day of the week, they are on holidays every day. :D

the fewtrinidadiens who make their way to castara usuually arrive with coolers and cases of beers and grill on the beach, they also do not care. :wink:

in the low season it might be a bit tricky, but usually the boathouse closes saturdays and opens sundays, the other restaurants do the opposite. so everybody os happy to find an open restaurant on a sunday... =D>

and on top of it, do you suggest for them to change their religion on your account? what else could they consider? as far as I know the famous jemmas tre house in speyside is clsed on a saturday,or did they change that. :?:

sorry you could not enjoy the great food, maybe next time you come friday night (book in advance for dinner if it is low season) or have yummy pizza on a sunday :wink:

sunny greetings from little bay with a road that cars can still pass and that is hopefully fixed ASAP...

steph
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Tony G
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Tony G »

I shall just be walking down the road.
That works for me.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

Update: they are working on the road right now (on a Saturday who would have thought). Hope NY next week it will be smooth as a babies bottom!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

If it's anything like a baby's bottom, you'll still be advised to drive a 4x4 and wear wellie boots (and a nose peg, of course). :D
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

just as smooth...much cleaner for sure ;o) looks much better today already...good since they have a wedding at the boathouse today. tomorrow business as usual...
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

After 20 Rum Punches the road is impossible (let alone impassable!) ... it's better to go 'splosh' into the sea and wade/swim around to the Main Castara Beach when you want to go home ... so refreshing.

If you get lost there are plenty of rocks to get on and you can spend all night on a rock wondering how you got there and how insanely beautiful it is to be there.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Steph,

thanks for the update regarding the road repairs. I was not informed that WASA had caused the mess.
Well, they do that everywhere. It was just quite discouraging to come down to the valley seeing the condition
the road was in.
As for the Saturday's closure, i was just a bit frustrated that day, finding all the bread at the dirt oven sold out,
Cascreole closed, looked like closed for repairs (?) and the Boathouse closed for Sabbat.
Me and my hungry stomach turned around after a short sea bath and returned to Scarborough to eat some
home cooked food instead.

Yes and there where some (indian) Trinis cooking at the main beach, at the old fire place. I was tempted
to ask them for some curry duck :wink:

By the way... i do not patronise Jemma's. Restaurants without an alcohol license are not exactly appealing to me.

Paul: Everybody has his / her own receipe to deal with the own drunkeness. The method you describe sounds rather unhealthy, though. Readers: Don't try that at home !! :lol:
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

was meaning to say that too, after 20 rum punch you should ot swim either...you drown easier than just lay don by the roadside and sleep...haha. for me it is easy since we are located in little bay anyway, but I would rather sleep on a bench at the beach then move at all after 10 rum punhes aready...specially the boathouse ones :D

steph
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Good point Steph

I think I can do 10 at the Boathouse ... 20 in certain other places ... 2 at Bonkers (they don't do Rum Punch ... they do a 'Rum Slap' that stuns you for days ... good value though :mrgreen: ) ... pretty mean one at Rex Turtle too.

Maybe I lose count %*}

But the rocks are very comfortable :mrgreen:

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Richard and Elly

Post by Richard and Elly »

:D We stayed in Little Bay Castara for three weeks in October and found the Boathouse to be a most Excellent place to chill with a beer, wine (excellent) or a potent and most moreish rum punch. Sharon the proprietor works hard along with Wade and Nigel who are all efficient and friendly. Sharon does close on a Saturday, and when quiet on other days will ask people to book, if they would like to eat in the evening. Sharon's food is Excellent!I can comment on this as I have been a chef for 25 years and the taste, quality and presentation ticks all the boxes. On a Sunday she creates her own Pizzas which I would recommend, but one would easily be enough for two hungry people.
The Wednesday evenings are not to be missed. For only $TT200 you can have your fill of her delicious food including dessert with entertainment provided by a traditional Tobagan steel pan band followed by the amazing sound of the African drums, which anyone brave or proficient enough is free to join in if they so wish.
WARNING! For people not schooled in the art of Rum punch drinking, take care! I have suffered the wrath of it's delicious potency ! The party goes on until around midnight which is quite late enough after a day of chilling, swimming and taking in the beauty of this Heavenly bay in the tropical sun.
We shall definately be returning as soon as we can to once again gorge on Sharon's 'fat' prawns and stewed goat with her most excellent cheese and potato pie!
Richard and Elly.
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

And again I have to tell you, how much fun I had at the boathouse. I came there (low season) and found it closed. Only dinner if you order in advance but Sharon told me, that they will open next monday and will have drums on wednsday. So I could prepare my 50th birthday on the beach with a big bom fire which was built for me by the guys. The drums moved down to the beach when the fire went on and we all party a lot.
I love the boathouse! Made me the best birthday ever!
Cheers
Gisela
a.k.a. Shorty
see some pics on http://www.gisela-grell.de
SuzieQ
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SuzieQ »

We ate at the Boathouse numerous times in the past 2 weeks - every meal was delicious and extremely reasonable if not cheap! PIZZAS to die for, good burgers, good meal on Wednesdays, very inventive presentation, Sharon! Rum punches, never more than 2 at a time, made with Puncheon Rum!!!! :)
And the most hospitable, nicest hostess :) :)
PS: if you book for a lunch or dinner, Sharon or Wade will then cook for you. If you don't come & book and it's quiet, basically why stay open? Worked for us, except when we ran out of beer one time at the Beachhouse at 11pm and everyone had left the restaurant already! :)
you live 'n learn!
SuzieQ
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by SuzieQ »

Oh - and Wade's, was it - spaghetti pie? was awesome too!!!! :D

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”