Arnos Vale Waterwheel

Your questions and comment on restaurants and dining out
Lynn Morris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Arnos Vale Waterwheel

Post by Lynn Morris »

We drove past the Arnos Vale Waterwheel today and it looked run down and deserted. We were just wondering if anyone knew what happened to it? The location looks lovely, but I am aware that there have been many bad reviews in the past. It seems a shame that such a good opportunity has been wasted here.

Is the Waterwheel connected in any way to the Arnos Vale hotel? We stayed there in 2003 and vowed never to stay there again as it was run down then. I read it is even worse now, so I doubt there have been any improvements since our stay 9 years ago! Again, another wasted opportunity at such a stunning location. It's a shame!
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: Arnos Vale Waterwheel

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Lynn

As far as I am aware the Hotel and the Waterwheel are seperately owned.

The Waterwheel used to be fabulous with a nice restuarant but this went downhill several years ago. The last time I looked 2 years ago it appeared that it had closed down.

The hotel, as reported in other areas of this forum, has also apparently closed down. I am not sure if you can access Arnos Vale Beach through the Hotel grounds and I understand you could be charged a fee for doing so.

I understand there is a footpath to the beach outside the Hotel grounds but I have not seen it.

A shame ... but as far as I am concerned, the Beach is my favourite bit and the sealife should still be putting on fantastic shows :)

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lynn

Sorry, I thought I'd replied to your question yesterday; just put it down to a 'senior moment'. :oops:

Paul is quite correct. The Arnos Vale Waterwheel closed down some two years or more ago - as far as I have been able to ascertain. However, the Arnos Vale Hotel is still operational, as far as I am aware.

To be honest, it’s impossible to get honest, accurate, timely information regarding this hotel/restaurant because they never respond to email. I will refrain from comment about the owner's, the Brontes, who also manage the place. They seem unable to keep a manager more than a few months. Just thinking about them reminds me of the controversial comments that Jeremy Clarkson made about striking public service workers on the One Show recently. The Brontes have allowed the most beautiful beach and environment on Tobago to go to rack and ruin.

The Waterwheel restaurant was run by the owner's son, who is a bit of a cross between Alan Carr and Graham Norton, but without the redeeming personality. I use the word 'run' advisedly, because one contact told me that it was more a matter of whether he bothered to get up and/or could remember where the restaurant was. I'm sure that's an exaggeration, but I do recall one horrendous case of a couple booking a table there, being dropped off at the car park by taxi after arranging to be collected later that evening, then walking down to the restaurant only to find it closed and deserted. Imagine being stuck down there in that dense bush for several hours with all the strange rainforest sounds and nothing but a couple of security lights for comfort.

It is such a crying shame that Tobago’s best resources are so often pillaged by wealthy people who lack the intelligence, commitment or foresight to make the most of their assets.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lynn Morris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Lynn Morris »

Thanks Paul & Steve for your replies. Every time we come to the island we have a drive round to see what's new & keep our fingers crossed that essemnce of Tobago hasn't changed too much. Like you, I feel very saddened to see 2 great opportunities, both in stunning surroundings gone to ruin.

We come to Tobago every year & base ourselves at the wonderful Castara Retreats. We are passionate about Tobago & all it has to offer. There are few places in the Caribbean where you can still see real Caribbean life in such unspoilt and beautiful surroundings. If Arnos Vale Hotel had been maintained properly & updated, we would have been regular customers there for years to come, instead of looking elsewhere, as it is indeed a unique & beautiful location.

We can only hope that one day, someone who has real passion to make both places work & make the most of all there is to offer there, buys the place & returns it to its former glory. It would be a good investment & an amazing opportunity!!

It's so, so sad!
Carol G
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Carol G »

Hi Lynn,
Regarding a way into the Arnos Vale beach without going through the hotel grounds...there is a road (fairly wide...as you have driven around, will know what I mean) from Plymouth. I'm trying to remember details and hope anyone can fill in the gaps in my directions.
Drive towards Plymouth....across the bridge and around & up the slight hill and down again. The first road to the right (I think it is still marked as Arnos Vale ....I sometimes do not pay an attention when I'm the passenger). Keep going and before you leave the roads (two??) up to the village....make a left turn, go up the hill to a dead end and take the (only) road to the right. Keep following it around, a few houses and then views of the ocean until it ends. Park and walk down the path to the beach. I wish I could remember if it's the first or second road off the Arnos Vale road. Maybe someone could help or you could just ask someone on the road. Ronald has also commented on a way he goes in when walking...not sure where it is.
Still our favorite snorkeling spot
Cheers, Carol

Return to “Restaurants, Food & Drink”