Integrity, Tropikist and Grafton Beach

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Anita Gray

Integrity, Tropikist and Grafton Beach

Post by Anita Gray »

Hi there - I found mytobago.info while researching booking a trip to Tobago, and I've become hooked! It is such an excellent site with a wealth of information - many thanks to Steve and Jill for all your work.

I found a good deal to The Tropikist in April via Teletext and despite the negative comments in the forums, I booked it. My husband and I are early 40's, and consider ourselves fairly laid back and flexible, and we agreed we would make the most of it. Surely it couldn't be that bad.

However, I as I spent more time on this site over the next few days, I spent more time worrying about the reported surly bar staff and general "energy" of The Tropikist. The INTEGRITY of this site, convinced me that it would be wise to take heed of the satisfaction poll.

Fortunately, I was able to change the booking and despite it being more a bit more expensive I am delighted that we are now booked into the Grafton Beach Resort, and I eagerly await the mytobago.info detailled report on this hotel. I feel that I can now relax and look forward to an excellent holiday. I am now researching hiring a car and day trips etc - all using this site. Yes Tobago, you can expect to hear from me...

I have a couple of questions/observations:
Tropical Places and Virgin rate the Tropikist as a 3 star, so I wondered why on this site it is shown as a 2 star?
Does anybody have any updated info/reports on the Tropikist?
Are there any pubs/drinking venues within walking distance from the Grafton Beach Resort? Although we are going all inclusive, we do not intend to be in the hotel every night - we are already looking forward to the Goat Races and Sunday School!

Any comments on this posting would be much appreciated.
With best wishes - Anita
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Anita

Thanks for your kind words. I'm delighted that the site has been of use to you.

To be honest, I can't recall where we got the 2* rating for the Tropikist from. We would have needed to see at least two "established" sources (such as major UK tour operators) rate it as such for us to use it. I can only say that if we show the Grafton as 3*, then I'm surprised that the Tropikist shows as high as 2*.

We stayed at the Grafton during our recent trip. It came as a BIG eye opener to us. Maybe we were somewhat prejudiced by past events and I confess that I possibly went there with some less than favourable perceptions about the hotel, despite an encouraging preliminary tour in January 2003. I have to tell you that our views are very different now. I am working on our full review at the moment, but it will be at least the end of the month before I finish them all and get all the graphics and web layout done. However, I am confident that you will be satisfied with your choice. The Grafton undoubtedly represents excellent value within it's price and resort type. Everybody that we spoke to at the hotel was delighted and all said they would be happy to return.

In fairness, many people who use the Tropikist on a room-only basis have a wonderful time. The rooms are generally good. However, if it comes to a choice between the Grafton or the Tropikist, it is absolutely NO contest IMHO. I have absolutely no wish to offend visitors who have stayed in Crown Point hotels and had a wonderful holiday in Tobago, so I will refrain from expressing my true feelings. Let's just say that I think you've made the right choice. Take a trip down to the Tropikist while you're there and go in for a drink. Then let us know what you think.

There are a couple of local drinking places in Black Rock, just a short walk from the Grafton, but your best drinking hole, by far, is Indigo - around a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Lovely, lively atmosphere, thanks to genial Irish hosts Fiacra and Erica Vaughan.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Anita,
Yoy will have a wonderful time at the Grafton.The staff are great especially Michelle,Vernon and Candice on the main bar but they are all superb.For "drinkies" out make friends with Philbert the operations manager he is in the know.There are a couple of bars at Black Rock and three (or maybe four) in Pleasant Prospect. Have a great time,
David. :lol:
(I'm jealous,I have six more months before my return!) :cry:
Anita Gray

Post by Anita Gray »

Hi Steve - many thanks for your prompt reply. Your confirmation of the Grafton as a good choice was like music to my ears! The Indigo sounds great - my husband is from Dublin and we are looking forward to enjoying the lovely, lively atmosphere and meeting the hosts.

We'll also venture to the Tropikist and let you know what we think on our return....

Hi David - thank you too for your advice, and we will look out for Philbert. It is a couple of weeks to go, and as first time visitors to Tobago, my husband and I are becoming more excited by the day!!

With best wishes - Anita

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”