Holiday of a Lifetime - Andy Harries - The Holiday

Questions and comment outside the scope of the above topic groups
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Holiday of a Lifetime - Andy Harries - The Holiday

Post by Steve Wooler »

Well, I guess none of us knew whether they would make it, but I am delighted to tell our readers that Andrew and Rachel Harries have landed in Tobago in the last couple of hours. They are now safely ensconced in the luxury of the Coco Reef Resort. I’ve just had an email from Jennifer at Yes Tourism saying they’re sat sipping a cocktail and taking in the view.

This is a wonderful human interest story and has helped to restore some of my faith in human nature. Their story made a big impression on me. I know it affected many other readers the same way. The original thread - http://www.mytobago.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660 'Please help – holiday of a lifetime (ANDY HARRIES)' has had 4½ thousand views as of today - more than 2½ times more than the next most popular thread in our forum.

So, please let me recap for new readers who haven't read the full story…

Andrew Harries is 34 and lives in Taunton in Somerset, England. He has terminal cancer. His chest tumour has not responded to treatment. He was given a year to live, around this time last year. This is a tragedy by any standards, but even more so when it involves someone so young. The situation was compounded when a sperm sample deposited by Andrew before he started chemotherapy was destroyed in a hospital freezer failure. This robbed 18-month old son Joshua of any chance of a brother or sister.

Andrew married wife Rachel in Tobago nearly four years ago. It was Andrew’s dying wish to return to Tobago before he dies. Being a cricket fanatic, it was also his wish to return this week, so that he could see one of the One Day Internationals between England and the West Indies this weekend.

In July last year, Andy registered an account on myTobago.info and posted a question asking how to get tickets for the cricket match. Nobody knew. Concerned that they wouldn't be able to overcome this hurdle, Rachel posted a message explaining the situation. This is where the main thread, linked above, starts.

Like most readers, I was moved by the story and immediately clicked on the link to the article in The Sun newspaper. I guess the factor that made the biggest impression on me was the comment that Andy and Rachel would not sue the hospital over the ruined sperm sample because the same NHS Trust was giving Andy such wonderful treatment for his cancer. That made me realise that they were MY kind of people and I became determined to help in any way I could. I figured that if myTobago could help to make Andy’s dream come true, then the site would have been worth creating for that purpose alone.

Just a few hours sending emails to various contacts produced immediate and wonderful results. Within a couple of weeks we had put virtually the entire package together – with all but the accommodation on an entirely complimentary basis. We had several offers of free accommodation, but Andy had been very specific in his request of where he wanted to stay. Fortunately, his local newspaper, the Taunton Times had launched an appeal some months earlier, so one way or another, the trip was guaranteed. It was just up to Andy to show his fighting spirit and make it through the intervening months.

Well, it’s been touch and go but from what Rachel has said, he’s really rallied in the past week. It was as if suddenly he realised that he COULD and WOULD make the trip and this has given him the strength to overcome the terrible pain and the fatigue caused by the cocktail of pain-killing drugs he is taking.

I will try to keep our readers updated about the holiday, but obviously we don't want to intrude upon their privacy. For this reason, I haven't asked Rachel to keep us updated. Her sister, Juliette, is keeping us informed as and when she receives word - thanks Juliette. However, I will try to let you know about any of the "public" events that have been arranged and hopefully will have some photos to show you.

I had asked Andy to provide me with a “Hit List” of things he wanted to do on Tobago. The list was remarkably straightforward and said a lot about the man. His main wishes were to meet up with people they had met during their wedding trip. I contacted each of the people concerned. Andy and Rachel must have made a big impression four years ago because EVERYBODY remembered them, said what a lovely couple they were and promised their immediate support. I will hopefully be able to tell you about some of these meetings as the holiday progresses.

My part in coordinating this trip has been a total privilege. As I said, it has restored my faith in human nature. Yes, there have been a few disappointments along the way, primarily from hoteliers who could have afforded to be more helpful and generous, but in every other way the response has been stunning. I would gladly have gone to the contributors on hands and knees with the promise of free publicity if it had made the trip possible. I have to tell you, however, that NOT ONE contributor raised the question of publicity or promotion. Not a single firm involved has asked, much less been promised anything. They all replied within 24 hours of my email with unconditional offers of support. It really has been wonderful.

While there have been no deals, agreements or even discussions of publicity, I firmly believe that the firms and individuals involved should receive public acknowledgement for their generosity. I’m not going to list them here and now, because there are certain "surprises" in store for Andy and Rachel and listing full details here might give the game away. I will therefore provide reports of each event and those who made it possible over the coming two weeks.

Although I didn’t know it until a few months ago, Rachel is a journalist. Around three weeks ago, she mentioned that she was thinking of writing their story. As she said, the Internet changed her life for the better and gave her strength when she needed it most. I hope she does, because apart from anything else, it will be a wonderful tribute to Andrew and something for Joshua to treasure in later years.

May their God bless them both.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Tue May 30, 2006 10:07 am, edited 10 times in total.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Wooler

THE ARRIVAL

Post by Steve Wooler »

Andy and Rachel’s journey started, yesterday (Wednesday 21st April) with the long journey up from Taunton.

Knowing that they would need somewhere to stay overnight and to leave their car during the holiday, I had contacted the Copthorne Hotel at London Gatwick which I regularly use before my trips to Tobago. The hotel responded by return, with offers of a complimentary Connoisseur double room and dinner in their à la carte Lion D’or restaurant.

On arrival at the terminal this morning, Andy and Rachel were met by Iris Tamburri of Golden Caribbean. Iris has been totally amazing throughout this story. She and Golden Caribbean really have gone that extra mile to make the journey not just a reality, but also as comfortable as possible.

Just a few weeks ago, Iris informed me that they had upgraded the Harries to Excel One – the Excel Airways first-class equivalent. Iris said they were keen to make sure that that Andy was as comfortable as possible. Not satisfied with that, Iris travelled down to Gatwick personally this morning to greet them and make sure that they got off smoothly. In fact I believe that Andy and Rachel didn’t even go through the normal check-in procedures, but were whipped straight off to the Excel One first class lounge. A buggy then took them on that awfully long journey to the aircraft stand and Iris didn’t leave until they were safely and comfortably strapped into their seats aboard the aircraft. Thank you Iris, Golden Caribbean and Excel Airways - you have been total stars.

On arrival in Tobago, Andy and Rachel were met by a delegation from the Tobago House of Assembly (THA) Department of Tourism. I have to tell you that they walked straight past the waiting delegation, assuming that the greeting was for the film star on the flight and not for them. Anyway, they were soon dragged back, presented with a bouquet of flowers and official welcome, then given priority treatment through customs and immigration. Their baggage had been given very special treatment and not loaded with the normal luggage, so was in the terminal even before the formalities had been completed.

Within minutes Rachel and Andrew were outside the terminal and being greeted personally by Eric Feniet, the General Manager of the Coco Reef Resort, who was waiting with the hotel’s Rolls Royce. Five minutes later they were at the hotel and soon relaxing, sipping cocktails.

Constantly on hand and coordinating all logistics in Tobago is Patrick Dankou of Yes Tourism. Patrick has been highly instrumental in the successful arrangement of many aspects of the holiday, ably assisted by his assistants Tanja and Jennifer. A special mention should also go to local professional photographer Brent of Digital Tobago, who has given his time freely to record their arrival and who also hopes to photograph other events during the holiday. All photos used in my reports will be by Brent, unless otherwise mentioned.

The photo below was taken in the grounds of the Coco Reef Resort just a couple of hours ago. More photos of their arrival can be seen at http://www.myTobago.info/andrew02.php

The main event of the holiday will be the One Day International in Trinidad, on Sunday. I will hopefully receive some photographs of that and will post a report. Before that, Andy and Rachel will hopefully have a nice relaxing couple of days to acclimatise and chill-out.

On Friday evening, the couple have been invited to a private dinner with the THA's Director of Tourism, Mr Sumant Singh. Let's hope that Andy feels up to it. I'm sure I speak for all readers when I extend our thanks to the Department of Tourism for their efforts in extending hospitality to the couple and for ensuring their quick and easy passage through the airport formalities. It's wonderful to know that Tobago CARES.
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Tue May 30, 2006 10:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Steve Wooler
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Steve

Please send me a box a hankies GREAT thats all I can Say

Love to them all

John
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Thanks for posting the photos. We are due to arrive in Tobago tomorrow (first time) and it would be great to be able to say Hi if we bump into them. I've followed the story and I hope they have the most fantastic time. :D
Jill.
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

I have just shed so many tears at the fact Rachel and Andy are finally in Tobago and how many wonderful people there really are in this world.

Kirsten
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Julia C. »

Wonderful and beautiful.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Makes all the moans and gripes of daily life fade away. A touching story of a man of great courage with what is undoubtedly a loving wife.

I'm due to visit Tobago for the first time ever in 24 days, I think about it a lot, but like many here I spend a fair amount of time thinking of this couple getting there.

I wish them all the best and hope it's everything Andy wished it could be plus some more just for good measure.
Juliette J

Post by Juliette J »

:D Hi it's Juliette again (Rachel's sister) and also my mum (Grandma)! We are both looking after Josh this evening (it's change over day!)! We have had two texts today from Rach and Andy and both say how relaxed and happy they both are! They had another wonderful meal last night and a good nights sleep! Rach says everyone is being so kind and thoughtful to them. We are so thrilled to see the photos of their arrival and we wish we were there again! A big thanks goes to everyone involved once more and for the messages too! What good 'web' friends you are!
Goodbye for now
Juliette & Carole :D
Juliette J

Post by Juliette J »

:D Hi! Here's the latest from Rach! They had dinner at Cafe Coco last night with the Director of Tourism, Sumant Singh, his wife, their toddler and a collleague. She said it was amazing! They were charming people; interesting, fun and great company! Sounds like a super night was had by all!
Steve, Rach says she can't e-mail from there but has sent a message thro' the site!
It's been fantastic weather here in Somerset so Josh and I have visited all the grannys (three of them) and played in the garden all day! He's taken to my best friend (who has come down to keep me company) very well!
I'd better go and get this house sorted out, Rach would be appalled!
I hope to bring more news tomorrow-I think it's the big day of cricket?!
Juliette :P
Katie

Post by Katie »

people are so kind its amazing. why can't everyone be like that :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
AndyHarries

Hello!

Post by AndyHarries »

Just a quick note to say that we are truly having the time of our lives, thanks to so many people, not least Steve Wooler himself. Wow! Highlights so far have been our arrival at the airport (to be greeted by so many smiling faces, and flowers!), the cricket - despite no play - Andrew met many of his heros, including Ian Botham, David Gower (such a nice bloke who had so much time to chat to Andrew), Michael Holding and of course Chris Cowdrey who bent over backwards to make us welcome and treat us like VIPs. What an amazing man. We were also thrilled to be taken round Tobago once again in the helicopter bearing Andrew's name - The Spirit of Andy Harries. It was even better than the first time (the pilot was SO nice). We will be forever indebted to Hummingbird Helicopters and Tony Vieira. Thank you so, so much.

Other people I must mention... Patrick Dankou and Tanja Mohammed from Yes Tourism who have been our mentors and guides. Nothing is too much trouble, they are professional, kind, generous to a fault and just the sort of people you would want on your side, if you see what I mean. I have tried to give them a break from us today because they also have a very successful business to run and I fear we are taking too much. I could tell you so many stories about the goodness of these people. For example, because there was no cricket on Sunday, Patrick has spent the last two days trying to get us to St Lucia at the weekend. I cringe with every call he makes, because we are not worthy. I know that Steve has again been working tirelessly to make this possible and I am all out of thank yous. I have never known such kindness.

I must also mention Surmant and his team at the Tobago House of Assembly who hosted a wonderful meal for us. What charming people!

Then there's photographer Brent who is such a cool bloke. Thanks to him.

Iris and the good people at Golden Caribbean. The flight was 100% first class. I don't think Andrew could have made it here any other way. Again, lovely people who were just amazing.

Eric and his staff at Coco Reef who couldn't be more helpful, sympathetic and considerate. Andrew has been terribly unwell with pain and fatigue today, so they have brought me food and cocktails to our room! And every day they ask how he is. We also have the best room with an ocean view - 242, incidentally, although all the 240s are good.

We look forward to seeing Alibaba and Nick and Norma at the Seahorse Inn. We're also hoping to catch up with Brent Hart... I am so hoping Andrew recovers from this latest blip so that we can enjoy the itinerary planned for us by Yes Tourism.

I have put down on paper many of my thoughts on Coco Reef, so will share them when I return. I do think it's a wonderful hotel. I just wish that it wasn't quite so all-inclusive - a fair share of the guests don't venture beyond these walls and so aren't seeing the real Tobago. Such a pity.

Who have I forgotten so far? Please remind me Steve!

Thank you to everyone who has posted good wishes. I keep having to pinch myself to realise that we made it, and all these wonderful things that are happening to us. It's quite incredible.

I look forward to fully updating you soon. The internet has been down here and at the Clothes Wash Cafe and so it's been tricky to keep in touch with people at home, work and on myTobago. Apologies!

Big smiles,

Rachel
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Rachel has sent me a few photos taken at the cricket ground in Port of Spain and during the tour with Hummingbird Helicopters. I have posted these at http://www.myTobago.info/andrew03.php

Last edited by Steve Wooler on Tue May 30, 2006 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

How lovely to hear from you Rachel, my mum is arriving at the Coco Reef next Monday and I have asked her to come and give you a big hug from me!1 I hope that is OK.....

Kirsten x
Kat Blomfeld
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Kat Blomfeld »

Thanks for the lovely photos Steve. I'm sure Andy and Rachel's story has touched all of us and I would love to know more about how their holiday is going. Will you be able to get them to St Lucia? Please keep us updated - it is SO dissapointing to log on and find no news. :(

Kat & Ken
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Kat & Ken

It’s a difficult situation. I’m desperate to strike the right balance. Andy and Rachel’s holiday is just that – a private holiday. Yes, the circumstances have touched the hearts of a lot of people. The many emails I’ve received asking for information prove this only too well.

Yes, we are all interested, but I would hate to intrude on their privacy. I made an initial announcement simply to inform readers that the trip had finally come to fruition. Yes, I also want to thank those who have made the trip possible. I feel that their efforts deserve recognition. However, not at the expense of intruding upon Andy and Rachel’s holiday.

So, let’s hope that Rachel finds the time to give us more updates like that wonderful post this morning. Yes, if she does so, I will be glad to support it by making the photos she has kindly sent me available on the site.

With regard to the cricket, the news is not good. The Caribbean is suffering from particularly unseasonable weather. Today’s match in Grenada was cancelled an hour or so ago. Thank heavens we didn’t subject Andy to the flight over there today. The trouble is that the forecast for the next few days is not good, even though St Lucia is several hundred miles further north. There are no direct flights from Tobago to St Lucia and it has taken Patrick most of the last two days to determine the various options. Unless we booked a private charter flight, the only viable routing at this late stage involves several different flights with changes at three intermediary islands. The journey could take a terrible toll on Andy – with the possibility of no cricket when he gets there.

The passes and VIP treatment to the cricket were arranged by James Blackshaw, a partner of Cantor Fitzgerald in London, and with Graham Cowdrey the marketing director of Cantor Sport. Together they put everything together and made the trip to the cricket possible, with Chris Cowdrey providing local support and arrangement. The three of them offered immediate support should we manage to get Andy to Grenada or St Lucia. May I just tell you that my Inbox has 53 email messages from James – 99% of them in connection with Andy’s trip to Tobago. It is so wonderful that such a senior person, working in the high-stress conditions of the financial markets, can give so much thought and time to others. It has certainly shattered some of my preconceptions about “city-types” (no offence meant).

I hope I’m not breaking confidence when I tell readers that James and Graham have come up with a wonderful offer which will give Andrew something to look forward to when he returns home. I’m sure Rachel will post news about this in due course.

What I thought was going to be a two-line reply to Kat and Ken’s question has turned into a little more than I bargained for. So, may I go the whole hog and extend a few more thanks to those involved in this trip.

Rachel mentioned Tony Vieira and his team at Hummingbird Helicopters. They had taken Andy and Rachel on a flight-seeing tour of Tobago during their wedding trip to the island four years ago. Despite now being based in Trinidad, Hummingbird offered immediate support and complimentary flights when they read about the story. Tony really has gone that extra mile in every way to make their trip a success. A big, big thanks to Tony and all his team.

Thanks are also due to the German couple who left funds with Patrick to pay for the flights to Trinidad and which also covered the hire of a car to get them about over there. These generous donors wish to remain anonymous, but own a property on the island and like think of themselves as part-time Tobagonians.

The support shown for Andy and Rachel has been truly wonderful. I received over 50 replies to the emails I sent to hotels in Grenada and St Lucia asking for assistance with accommodation, knowing that they would be fully booked in view of the cricket. Very few were able to help, but the warmth of the replies of many were truly wonderful. One of the fastest and most notable replies was from the Rex Grenada, who replied within a couple of hours offering complimentary rooms. So, may I please extend a private message for reader John Hill:

John, I know you leave for Grenada on Sunday. I don’t know where you are staying, but if you are staying at the Rex as you did in Tobago, please hunt down and give General Manager Brett Castleman a big, big pat on the back on behalf of myTobago. (and have a great trip).
Last edited by Steve Wooler on Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Wooler
Juliette J

Post by Juliette J »

:lol: Wow! I'm so pleased to see the photos of the cricket and helicopter ride! Rach had told me how amazing both experiences had been for her, but even more so for Andy! She really wanted to share all the news about what has happened with you all so i'm glad she's had the opportunity!
I'm glad Andy was well enough to go to the cricket and on the helicopter ride and know that it's probably taken a lot of energy to have those active days. He'll need some quiet days now and Rach might get to top up her tan! If you read this Rach and Taffy, we miss you loads but it's great to see those photos and keep in touch when you can!!
Thanks for putting the photos up so quickly!
JJ :D
Juliette J

Post by Juliette J »

:D It's me again! I have just read the message you wrote about 'privacy' etc, Steve and i want to say thanks for your amazing sensitivity and wisdom. I was so surprised and pleased with the news and photos that i didn't get any further! I agree that it is a private holiday but also you've all supported them both so much that you feel part of it and want to know (and enjoy) what's happening out there! I'll continue to help when i can by bringing the latest news!
JJ
James Blackshaw
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Andy and Rachel- the Holiday

Post by James Blackshaw »

I have just read through everything so far and find the whole thing completely choking.

Steve thank you for the kind words. Small cog big wheel. Both Graham and Chris Cowdrey, like their legendary father before them, have the most wonderfully kind natures and I am just thrilled that despite the weather Andy was able to have a great day.

What I have conveyed to you in private emails merits being stated for all to read. Steve YOU DESERVE A MEDAL. The incredibly sensitive and polite manner in which you have gone about putting together this wonderful experience, in tragic circumstance, for Andy has been enough to reduce a hardened 'city broker' to a sobbing wreck.

Your website is an absolute credit and as a human being you are a legend. There have been some wonderfully kind people lending support, and I send my very best to all, but this would never have happened with out your tireless and generous efforts.

We will do our best to give Andy a very special day of cricket back here soon, and I sincerely hope that you will join us that day so I might get to shake your hand personally and keep your glass replenished with cold beer.

My very best wishes go to Andy and Rachel and all the kind myTobago people out there.

Steve you did it :lol: Very very well done :lol:

Regards
James
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

Here Here! :lol:
Juliette J

Post by Juliette J »

:lol: Great to read the post from James, I agree!!! :D
News from Rach and Taffy/ Andy: Taff is a bit better today and they are having a relaxing day on the beach!! (sounds blissful!) They are saying goodbye to some lovely people they've met as it's transfer day! Rach is going to another wedding (her third since she arrived!) of a couple they've met out there.
On Friday they are going on the Cocomotion Boat to the North of the island ( i guess it's the hotel boat?!)! Then on Sunday they go to the legendary 'Sunday School'!!
They are having a great time!
I'll write more when i know more!!
JJ :)

Return to “General Questions & Comment”