Many questions to ask????

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Lucy L

Many questions to ask????

Post by Lucy L »

Hi - if only every holiday destination could have a site like this - wonderful job! Well where do I start, we are planning to visit Tobago in September and I have set my heart on staying at the Coco Reef - HOWEVER I do have two (extremely well behaved) children aged 5 and 6. From reading some of the comments, I am concerned of what sort of reception I will be given by fellow tourists however I would not leave my children at any sort of kids club as I am a very protective mother and like to keep my eye on them at all times and I would not tolerate any inconsiderate behaviour on their part. Also could anyone give me an idea of the likely number of people staying at this time of the year at this hotel from previous experience? Finally I have two choices of room type - one bed garden suite ( I think thats what they are called) or deluxe ocean view room - any recommendations on either would be appreciated.

Fantastic site many thanks

Lucy
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lucy

Welcome aboard!

The comments about children were prompted by my comments in my review of the Coco Reef. I have to say that I would make those same comments about ANY resort of the type and standing of the Coco Reef Resort. Almost by definition, these are hotels that appeal to older, more mature couples and children are the exception, not the rule. It is NOT a family resort, but then I've never heard of a hotel of this category/price that IS. Tobago is a chill-out destination. Many guests - myself included - would be most put out by screaming children. Having said that, well behaved children can be a total delight and it would be a hard-heart indeed who objected to such children.

Yours is a question that nobody can answer because it is entirely dependent upon the other guests who are there are the same time as you. Guests who want top quality but wish to ensure that there are no children should go to Le Grand Courlan. People who have strong feelings on the subject should obviously avoid 'general' hotels during school holidays.

It's impossible to say how many guests will be there in September. However, the Coco Reef is increasingly fully booked, so assume something like 80-85% occupancy - around 270-300 people.

The garden suites are at the back of the property overlooking the lush gardens. They are extremely quiet. The deluxe ocean view rooms are in the main wings of the hotel and overlook the sea.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Lucy L

Which month???

Post by Lucy L »

Many thanks for your reply - we are very flexible on the time we can go so could you give me any pointers on which month is the driest out of Sept/Oct and Nov (I know you haven't got a magic ball - but a general idea would be appreciated).

A main issue with the hubby is the 'bag a bed' situation - because we have young children we would obviously want them to have some shade - do you really have to get up a 6am to do this??? Is there any shade around the pool??? Finally you estimate about 200+ people does the beach get overcrowded?? Thank you once again and I do hope that I'm not being to trivial.

Lucy
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lucy

Check out our Weather page for weather stats. However, October looks marginally better than September on previous figures. However, there's sod-all in it to be frank.

All I can tell you is that the Coco Reef has become increasingly popular and more heavily booked - as I understand it - and they have no opportunity to extend the beach. Going by our own experience and everything we have heard since, the situation has got worse. When I was last there it was essential to have bagged one of the shaded beach 'umbrellas' by 7.30am or forget it.

You'll never get that many people on the beach at the same time. A lot will be around the pool and far, far more out and about the island on sightseeing tours - or visiting and enjoying far quieter more natural beaches. Anyway, what is 'crowded'? Those who enjoy holidays to many parts of the Med and other places might consider it deserted, even at its peak. By my standards, if there's anybody else within 20 feet, then its crowded for Tobago and as such, yes - it will be crowded.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

Hi Lucy

I am going back to the Coco Reef in October with my two children who are aged 6 and 8. I went last October with them as well and they really enjoyed themselves and can't wait to go back. The staff at the hotel are totally fantastic with the children as are the fellow guests.

My parents went to CCR in May and all the staff kept going on about were when were Molly and Ella returning....

I have had a debate with Steve on the issue of children and the CCR and having experienced first hand what the CCR is like my advice to you is take the children and have a fantastic time as I'm sure you and your children will!

Might see you there if you go in October!

Kirsten :lol:
Lucy L

Hi Kirsten

Post by Lucy L »

Thanks for the message I wanted to go asap but I think we are opting for October - when do you fly out? As you can see I mentioned the sunbed/beach situation to Steve and I wondered what your experience was last year at this time (also weather).

I have been to the carribean a couple of times, but before the children arrived, so obviously I have my concerns - ie them being eaten alive by mozzies/roasting in the sun/heat (ie bag a bed concern) and also them getting ill - guess I should go to Butlins!!!! ha

Lucy
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

Hi Lucy,

We fly out on 2nd October (6 weeks saturday! - Yipeeee!). The situation regarding the sunbeds didn't seem to cause us any problem at all when we were there - I have to say that we spent most of our time by the pool though. My advice would be that when you go to breakfast pop a couple of towels on a sunbed and you should be fine.

The weather was fantastic when we were there - We had 1 day of rain which was lovely as we got the chance to meet lots of people as we all sat in the bar all day and made some wonderful friends who we still keep in regualr contact with.

The mozzies and sand flies really loved me but left my husband and children well alone!, but I found the magic cure to this - While I was in Tobago a lady gave me some spray oil by Avon and the mozzies hated it and left me well alone - I can't remember the exact name but I will find out for you if you are interested.

The CCR is a truly wonderful place to go!!

Kirsten
Lucy L

Kirsten

Post by Lucy L »

Thanks for that - I would be very interested to know what you used to keep the mozzies off as when I went to Grenada they seemed to like me quite a bit - well alot actually!!!!

Lucy
Diane C

To Lucy re mossies

Post by Diane C »

It is avon Skin so Soft spray oil & it doesn't seem to matter what fragrance you choose, i think it is the oil they don't like !
Cornelia Montgomery

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

For those of you who have the patience to wade through a medical journal article, here's one that compared several different kinds of mosquito repellents. (Citronella-based and Avon concoctions did not come out the best.)

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/347/1/13

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”