Tropikist Hotel

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Sue-S

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Sue-S »

Its rearing its ugly head yet again, but we have booked to go to the Tropikist Hotel in December, but i must admit, all the comments make pretty scary reading. We are bed and breakfast only(thank goodness by the sounds of it). We are really hoping that the management have listened to all the very bad and negative comments made about the hotel, and done something about it. Has anyone out their been recently?. I have to say it, but what about the rain, we fly on 2nd December, will the sun shine for us, we desperately need some sunshine. :?
Andrew Poole

Post by Andrew Poole »

Hello Sue. I must be in a minority in here but i really liked the Tropikist! My partner, Mimi Donaldson, who has posted our report on here wasn't quite so impressed but felt it wasn't as bad as some people painted it.
We stayed there in June of 2003 on an all inclusive basis and i really enjoyed my stay. I did think B&B would be a better alternative but beware their prices for drinks and meals are quite expensive 18tt for a Carib. A day or two around their fantastic pool could be quite expensive! We had a first floor room in the standard block which had a fridge so i suppose you could buy a few and chill them in there. I think it depends on what you've paid for B&B as opposed to AI, we got 2 weeks for under a Grand each and felt we could afford to eat out a few more times than maybe you would on other AI packages at other hotels.
Location wise, yes its in the (relatively) busy part of the island but there are restaurants aplenty around you, so there is a great choice.
And a 5 minute airport transfer is not to be sniffed at after a 10 hr flight either 8)

As for the weather in Dec i predict it will be what it will be!.I don't think you have any need to worry!!
Kevin Bigland

tropikist hotel

Post by Kevin Bigland »

Help!
I have booked a week all inclusive at this hotel travelling 23/09/04.
I note alot of comments are based back in 2003? can anyone advise if things have improved or indeed deteriorated? I will be travelling with 3 friends whom have blessed me with the "tour organiser" cap this year so an early reply from some one would be much appreciated.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Kevin

Welcome aboard!

I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe that there has been any fundamental change in the attitude of management at the Tropikist. The rooms, facilities and location are good - so no problem there. The major criticism of the Tropikist is the food - so simply budget to eat out a few nights, which is a good idea to relieve the boredom of many AI resorts - and of management's attitude if you have the temerity to complain about anything.

So, provided you don't go with over-expectations and are prepared to put up with any minor faults and not complain about them, you should be able to look forward to a wonderful holiday.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Tropikist Hotel, Tobago

Post by Irene »

Hi Kevin
When I read you were going to the Tropikist I had to reply. My husband and me are planning to go back to beautiful Tobago again in January, so I have been reading all the reviews I could find (on other sites too... sorry Steve) about the Tropikist to see if things had changed and it would seem they most certainly haven't. Most of the reviews reiterate what Steve says that the main criticisms are the food and the attitude of management, which is utterly appalling! The worst thing you could do is stay all inclusive, cause you will almost certainly have reason to complain. The people who run this hotel are terrible and have no idea how to treat guests. The 'Caribbean way' as some reviews expressed it does not excuse rudeness. The majority of people in Tobago are warm and friendly as is evident at other hotels. If you must stay at the Tropikist go room only and experience real food and hospitality at the wide variety of local restaurants. Whatever happens have a great holiday, it is a beautiful island! Irene
Andrew Poole

Post by Andrew Poole »

The last report on My Tobago about this hotel, good or bad was back in March of this year. Any other reports you've read since then are possibly on Tripadvisor? which as Steve quite rightly points out is usually utter rubbish! So may i suggest things may have improved? :shock:

i loved it (june 2003), the view, the location, the room, the pool and the transfer time from the airport! its a value for money hotel in my opinion, not perfect but at least it has a real beach (which you can swim off) and the sight of the gulls trying to steal the Pelicans fish over breakfast every morning will live with me forever.

Its in the perfect area with regards choice of eateries and shops/stalls.
I would not hesitate to stay there again, though in hindsight i would maybe go b&b but be aware a day round the pool could be relatively expensive by Tobago standads.

Its less than half the price of somewhere like the Coco Beach and in a much more convienient area than somewhere like the RTB, especially if you're on a budget and blow most of it on car hire.
With regards to the staff, if you make an effort then so will they.
Kevin Bigland

Change Of Plans

Post by Kevin Bigland »

Thanks to every one for your valuable comments, i think all will agree its a long way to go for a week, so if there are any doubts about any aspect, be it staff attitudes, food or accomadation quality its not worth the risk. we have voted with our feet and with the kind assistance of our tour operator mark @ Voyana Tobago Holidays Changed to The Rex Turtle Beach. I will of course make a point of popping into the Tropikist during our stay. Many thanks to Steve, What an Invaluable site you have created.
well done.
:D
Irene
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Post by Irene »

:lol: Well done Kevin! You are absolutely right that it's not worth the risk. Too many people have had bad experiences at this hotel. They take your money up front and if you don't like something you pay for it anyway. You could have gone for the Crown Point Hotel, which is one of the friendliest, set in beautiful grounds and good value and it's right on the beautiful Store Bay, one of the best beaches in Tobago. It's also a few yards nearer the airport, on the same road as the Tropikist. They don't take your money up front and you get an itemised bill and are allowed to check it before paying. Irene
Sally Simpson

Post by Sally Simpson »

Just returned from staying at the Tropikist on 5th November 2004, we had a fab holiday because we made it a good holiday!!!! But we would never go back to stay at the Tropikist and the reason we had a good time is because we went out and about and ate at restaurants.
Some of the staff at the Tropikist were lovely but some were totally out of order and very rude, customer care courses would not go amiss!!! Also totally agree with everybody else about the food, totally disgusting and very very dissappointed as we went all inclusive, but as I said we weren't going to let it spoil our holiday so we went out a few times and had lovely food at some really friendly places. When you go AI you expect some choice, buffet style but you don't even get that, just a set menu with a couple of choices of the most unedible food I have ever tasted!
The room was a nice size with a lovely sea view, but you couldn't put things in the drawers as they smelt musty and also the bedding smelt musty.
But I must say that everyone on the complex we spoke too all had the same view and even some that were on a 2week holiday wanted to go home after their first week!
But as I said Tobago is beautiful, so go and visit but just don't stay at the Tropikist
Sue-S

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Sue-S »

I have just read your report re the Tropikist Hotel Sally. We are unfortunately staying at this hotel in December for 2 weeks, bed and breakfast only thank goodness. What i find most amazing is that this hotel is still being advertised. We have booked with a very well know sporting company, when i rang them, i spoke to the manager, and he recommended the Tropikist to me. I cant believe these companies get away with it. I shall be taking them to task re this hotel when i return from Tobago.
Apart from the grotty hotel, which were your favourite restaurants, any other tips would be gratefully received.
One last thing i have to ask, What was the weather like, not that i am obsessed or anything. Thank you in anticipation, Sue. 8)
Andrew Poole

Post by Andrew Poole »

Sue-S wrote
I have just read your report re the Tropikist Hotel Sally. We are unfortunately staying at this hotel in December for 2 weeks, bed and breakfast only thank goodness. What i find most amazing is that this hotel is still being advertised. We have booked with a very well know sporting company, when i rang them, i spoke to the manager, and he recommended the Tropikist to me. I cant believe these companies get away with it. I shall be taking them to task re this hotel when i return from Tobago.
Nice to see you are going with an open mind Sue and are going to give them a chance!
Sue-S

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Sue-S »

Yes you are right Andrew, we must give them a chance. We will have a lovely time anyway as the island sounds lovely, we wont be spending a great deal of time at the hotel anyway as we plan to see as much as we can of Tobago. 3 weeks to go, suitcases at the ready. :lol:
Sally Simpson

Post by Sally Simpson »

Hi Sue I hope you have a lovely time and i'm sure you will cos your going with the right attitude! We tried the Chinese right next door to the Tropikist(not bad) and if you go straight over the two crossroads (you'll know what I mean when you get there) and you'll see some lights in a tree on the left and thats 'Bunkers' and its really lovely in there and they are really friendly. Also if you go to the second crossroad and turn left, on the right hand side there is another restuarant (can't remember the name) but it has entertainment every night.
Another thing if you want to go on some trips, we met a lovely taxi driver called Jack and he will take you anywhere, best thing to do is go to the first crossroad and turn right towards the airport and theres a little taxi place on the left and ask in there for him, cos the hotel trips are really expensive.
Have fun!
Sally Simpson

Post by Sally Simpson »

Oh sorry Sue forget to say the weather wasn't too bad! Couple of days of rain but the rest of the time lovely and hot!! Came back with a nice tan anyway
Sue-S

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Sue-S »

Thank you for the information Sally, i will let you know how i got on when i return, Sue.
Sue-S

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Sue-S »

Tropikist no more. I e mailed our travel company with my concerns, we have now been up graded to the Cocco Reef Resort for a very small amount extra. These companies must be very concerned about the Tropikist Hotel. Really really excited now :lol: :lol:
Sally Simpson

Post by Sally Simpson »

You lucky lucky girl!! You must be so relieved after all what you have been told, wish I'd seen this site before we went!! Have fun

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”