Sand Flies

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Colin Fairburn

Sand Flies

Post by Colin Fairburn »

Hi all

have read a few threads which mention the dreaded sand fly. is it a major problem on the RTB beach? Only when i visited the Cook Islands in 2000 i got bitten quite badly around the ankles and it almost ruined my holiday as they itched me to death and didnt go away until I stepped on the plane home.

Comments would be appreciated

thanks
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Colin

I think its impossible to say that one place is better or worse than another. You can go to a particular beach and not get bitten one day and then go back the next day at exactly the same day and get bitten to hell - and yet someone else with you might not be touched.

I believe that sandflies have a very short life (hours) and it is largely dependent upon weather conditions. They will be more obvious after rainfall or in areas near standing fresh water. Some people react badly to them but the vast majority of people are hardly affected. The best advice is to go prepared by taking and using deterrent precautions and then immediately treating any bites before they become a problem or annoyance. Jill used to be very badly affected, but by using a discplined approach it is now nothing but a minor inconvenience in terms of having to put the deterrent/creams on.

Check out our Insects article for detailed advice on the subject.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Sand flies

Post by Andy D »

Hi Colin,
My partner and i stayed at the RTB in July this year and for the first few days i didnt have a single bite but during the last part of the holiday i found that my feet and ankles had infact become a tooth sharpening station for the local Sand Fly population,i was covered in inflamed red itchy spots (If i'd joined the dots i'd have probably depicted a huge sand fly with a grin on it's face!)
My partner and her children on the other hand were fine having put bug repelling bands around the ankles and wrists,not the most attractive fashion accessory but worked nonetheless.
I was somewhat put off by the smell of the repellant bands and ultimately paid the price for not wearing them.
They are a good idea though and do seem to be very effective,available from Boots or good chemists.

Andy
Stuart A

sand flies

Post by Stuart A »

Use Avon Skin so soft. It works very well. Use it if you get up before 8.00 and put it on before 5.00 and you should be OK. If you walk down by the rivers that flow into the bay you will need it. Watching the sun set is great put it on before you ruin you sun set!! We only got bitten when we did not use this product!

Return to “Starfish Tobago”