Looking forward to our holiday - any advice from RTB fans?

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Cathy C

Looking forward to our holiday - any advice from RTB fans?

Post by Cathy C »

Hi everyone,

This site has been great for helping me pick where to go in the Caribbean for a long-awaited holiday for me and my partner. The AI deal I got for a two week holiday in mid-November seemed like a great bargain and despite what people have said about the other great restaurants on the island, we're looking forward to the flexibility of having food when we want it and not having to carry money around with us. I'd really appreciate some advice on some aspects of the holiday to make sure we can get the best out of it.
We would like to see the island but as we're 24, i didn't know whether we'd be able to hire a jeep or not? Also, I suffered quite badly on holiday in Corfu with a heat rash/skin reaction last year - what insect repellent products would people recommend that will work when you have suncream on?
And what things would people suggest we take with us to get the most out of the holiday? - mosquito net/snorkel/medicines/any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Cathy
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Most of the car rental firms require drivers to be 25 or over. If you've got a clean record and held your licence for more than 2 years, it might be worth contacting Yes Tourism and asking if they will have a word with their rental agencies to see if anyone will accept you.

If you've got sensitive skin, then it's important to cover up, wear a hat/cap and apply decent sunblock and deterrent. See our Insects article.

Forget mosquito nets, but yes - take any snorkel equipment and you must take adequate stocks of any medication you are on. Other items are discussed in the above article.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Hi Cathy

You will I hope love Tobago, The Rex yes could do with a face lift but its a good honest clean friendly hotel, with a new pool the best on the Island I am told. However do get out of the hotel hire a guide to take you round the Island first you can then hire a car a exploer the parts you enjoyed the most and do enjoy a super lunch out and even a evening meal try real taste of tobago. AI is good for some people me included but it will not stop me from eating out if I desire for the money paid for the holiday its a snitch.
Enjoy and look forward to reading your report on return.
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

You'll enjoy the breakfast a lot!

Also, I support contacting Yes for jeep hire. RTB is perfectly placed IMO and IME. Crown Point easy enough to reach and the far end of the island also not too far off.

Also, contact Cocomotion and book a trip with them, fantastic day (well half!) out.

Tip: stay out the sun between 12-3 daily. You'll still get a tan, but beware, it's VERY hot. Also, wear a tee-shirt when snorkelling, VERY easy to burn your back! (I know, I did!).
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

Hi

Avon make a sun crean with insect repellant. However a really good sun cream is Ultrasun check outthe website at http://www.ultrasun.co.uk

Don't miss Frankie's Rum Punch Beach Party ! :D

Jill
Andy D
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Andy D »

Hi Cathy,

You'll love Tobago,i've stayed at the RTB and loved it!

A tip on touring the island:we were looking at organised tours but having spoken to another couple at the hotel we were advised to make use of a taxi and in particular a driver called Doyle Edwards,i managed to track him down (He drives from the taxi office right next to the hotel) and the next day we were off,we left at 9am,toured the entire island,stopped when and where we liked to swim in bays,eat etc,nothing was too much trouble.
He is a lovely man,he told us all about the island,plants,wildlife,the lot.
He was also great with the children.
We arrived back at the hotel at about 7pm! having had a fantastic day and the cost? a mere £70,the organised tours were a lot more than that and we had our own driver and guide for the whole day!

Hope you have a great holiday,we are going back next May,cant wait!

Andy
iansmithofotley
myTobago Groupie
myTobago Groupie

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Cathy,

I went to the R.T.B. in January 2003. At this time there were not many reviews on the hotel so I did a comprehensive review on 13-2-03, I don't know whether or not you have seen it:

http://www.mytobago.info/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=199

Obviously, a new swimming pool, bar, etc., have been built since so the hotel should be better.

I hope that this helps.

Ian.
Cathy C

Thanks

Post by Cathy C »

I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who replied. I, unlike my boyfriend, like to research a holiday before I go so I can make the most out of it. I emailed Yes Tourism who were very helpful and all the other suggestions sound great.

Cheers!

Cathy
Colin Fairburn

Post by Colin Fairburn »

hi - im off a week today !!!!
as for suncream/protection try P20 sunscreen - one application for ALL DAY including if you swim - we swear by it for our toddlers skin so it should be ok for yours - its not cheap but one application for the whole day makes it actually a pretty good option, and you tan too!
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Colin

Good tip, but be warned that there have been quite a few reports of allergic reactions to P20, so buy a bottle and try it on your skin before getting your main holiday stock. A safer alternative might be a newer version of that type of product - Ultrasun. Again, its a once-a-day product. It's also totally eco-friendly (like P20) in that there's no greasy oils to wash into the sea and damage the sensitive eco-systems.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
James

Post by James »

Hiya,

Regarding P20, I also thinks its great, but do be aware of two things;

Firstly if you're using it needs to fully bind with your skin before you expose yourself to the sun. From memory I think it takes about an hour other wise it doesn't work.

Secondly & forgive me if I get these two the wrong way round, P20 gives great UVA protection but only moderate UVB protection. Whichever way round it is, it stops you burning but isn't as good at stopping you aging.

Cheers

James
Jill M
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Jill M »

As mentioned earlier, I used Ultrasun this year, for our family holiday to France and got a really good tan. Four weeks later it has not faded much like it normally does. Don't know if its the new sun cream or my skin changing with age, but I'm happy. :D The only thing that I would say is that I chose the Factor 17 which had tiny sparkley bits in it. This was ok, but I don't know what it would look like on a man !
Marc Jones

Post by Marc Jones »

Heehee, look out Cathy, you'll get a reputation!

Good job we don't holiday together - for the record I took investigated Tobago as if I was invading the island on a military manoeuvre! - earning myself "frequent poster" miles in here and getting greeted with "ah, so YOU'RE Marc Jones" more than once when I was on the island.

:-)

Return to “Starfish Tobago”