Rex Turtle Beach - My View

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
Michelle Edwards

Post by Michelle Edwards »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 06 February 2003

We stayed at the Rex Turtle Beach Hotel Christmas and New Year 2002/3 and had the most fabulous time. Myself and my husband have been to many worldwide destinations and many within the Carribean and I can honestly say I have never received such a warm an pleasant welcome as we did when arrived at the Rex. We were met with rum punches and smiles we did not even notice we had been checked in.

The accomodation is quite basic, you get a fairly large aircon room, with a bed, bathroom and balcony or terrace. No frills. It is all that you need, when you arise the next morning you walk onto your balcony and see the beautiful Carribean sea stretched out in front of you. (Request top floor for best sea views). The food if you go all inclusive can be a little basic and occasionally repetative, however, it is comparible to similar properties in the Carribean. May I just add that the NewYears Gala Buffet was a sight to behold and a veritable feast.

Then entertainment is nightly and is usually performed by local people whom seem to do the rounds at most of the hotels. They are normally cultural shows and/or local bands and we enjoyed them in the main. The hotel has 2 Tennis courts, however, from what I can gather they are of a useable standard and far from centre court at wimbledon.

As for bars, the Rex had 2, it is not a luxury hotel, but it does have enough facilities and they are adequat for it's size. The pool is very very tiny, beleive me when you have that beach you do not need the pool. However, I heard a rumour that this was going to be enlarged and there were also been rumours of renovation when we were there but things are still the same, and you know, that's ok.

The beach is beautiful, long and very safe for swimming and although it is a public beach you do not get bothered from traders as you would on other Islands. The beach does have it's regular vendors (About 3) whom are freindly and polite. You do get the very occassional visit from a passing vendor, but these are few and far between. Even these guys very often forget to sell you anything they are so busy chating and pasing the time of day.

One of the highlights is watching the local fisherman pulling in their nets by hand, it is real and it is their livley hood, so if you do help please do not expect a fish as a reward. This is one of the things that makles the Rex stand out, real people, not some man made beach with jet skis and boat trips. However, all are available at various places around the island and bookable from the hotel. My advise, hire a car/jeep and do it yourself.

I must also take this opportunity to mention Ruben, he carves beautiful pieces of art from driftwood, he is a truley wonderous man and I suggest you chat with him a while. He is a little obsessed with size in some of his designs, however, he will carve to order and you can sit and watch him as he works.

If you want a five star all singing and dancing hotel with fabulous facilities and entertainment to the wee hours, I suggest you stay at one of the more commecial and larger all inclusives.

The Rex is a 3 star hotel which maybe needs a lick of paint in a 5 star location. It is a place where you can meet and chat with local people and in this very same place you can walk a little further down the beach and feel like you are on a deserted island. It is a great base to experience all that is Tobago.
Lou

Post by Lou »

It was reassuring to read your report. I am not after frills and extras, and the beach sounds wonderful. I am sure it will suit our party well. After all it is the company and setting that will make the holiday and not the hotel amenities. We are going for the sunshine, fishing and diving - I'm sure Tobago will hit the spot!
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Michelle

Thanks for that lovely review of the Rex Turtle Beach. The views you expressed are totally endorsed by everything I’ve heard about the Rex. I am sure your report will be a great help to a lot of people.

One of the things I was very conscious of when I launched this site, and the forum in particular, was that open comment on holiday accommodation can lead to confusion. It’s all relative and largely depends upon your expectations. As I said in “Holiday Report 5 – Accommodation” the other day, you do not need to stay at expensive places to have a wonderful time on Tobago. Every accommodation property is relative to others and you cannot compare the Hilton to a $40 guesthouse.

Without wishing to go on and on, may I stress to every reader who has not visited Tobago before, that if you book pretty much any accommodation on Tobago, of the same type and cost that you have paid at other destinations, I bet you will agree that Tobago wins hands down once you have been here. Sorry, that doesn’t read well, but I guess you know what I mean.

The Rex Turtle is no exception. Yes, it is a basic 3-star no frills hotel and could do with a lick of paint. However, when you’ve got one of the best beaches in Tobago, whose going to be looking at the paintwork? Yes, the pool is only suitable for children – but as Michelle says, why use the pool when you’ve got such lovely safe sea swimming on hand? Yes, the food might be basic, but forget All Inclusive and eat out in the wonderful restaurants just a short drive away.

Whatever you do, I guarantee that Tobago will exceed your expectations.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Nora

Post by Nora »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 08 February 2003

Thanks Michelle and Steve, your rviews of the Rex were really helpful and much appreciated. Im not staying there till this Dec but I just cant wait now! Michelle I am staying on a bb basis so i would love information on local shops, bars and restraunts. what are the faclities like in black rock and can we walk there from the rex? Also how much is the taxi fare to other local restaraunts and does the rex arrange this for you. Once again i cant thankyou enough and i am now a fully fledged mytobago addict.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 09 February 2003

Hi Nora

Black Rock seems to be a friendly little village, but I don’t think there are any real facilities there other than a few small local shops. The Rex Turtle Beach is too far away from ANY facilities to consider walking. Hopefully Michelle (or someone else) will return to the forum and advise you re taxi fares. I have always noticed several waiting at the Rex and you can always arrange a time for them to collect you from the restaurant. However, it really would be worth your while budgeting to hire a car or jeep. You have an excellent choice of really good restaurants within 10 minutes drive of the Rex – Amadeus, Seahorse Inn, Indigo and Patinos being four of our favourites on the island.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Nora

Post by Nora »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 10 February 2003

thanks again Steve and Michelle for your excellent advice and kindness, its most appreciated and yes Michelle, hope to see you in Dec, ill be sure to honk my horn as we whizz by in the jeep!!, regards

nora
Michelle Edwards

Post by Michelle Edwards »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 10 February 2003

Hi Nora,

I have to agree with Steve, there is not a huge selection of restaurants around the Black Rock and Plymouth area (Just up the beach) so I would also suggest hiring a car. We ourselves were all inclusive, mainly because I'm a veggie, so at least I am guaranteed a salad or some pasta. We found most of the restaurants around Crown Point and Store Bay great for snacks and even enjoyed an Indian one night. I am very sorry but I did not make notes of the names of where we ate as I was unaware of this site. We are also going to Tobago in December, however, this time we are doing it self catering stopping at Birdies nest, on the same beach as the Rex. (we had to go back to this place it is so beautiful). You will wil have a lovely time at the Rex, it is a very special place with very special people and you will find the same guests tend to reurn year after year. Have a lovley time and we may see you there.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”