blue waters inn stay last week

38 room 3* beachside hotel in Batteaux Bay at Speyside (listing)
Ernesto Blokosso

blue waters inn stay last week

Post by Ernesto Blokosso »

Following three days at the Hilton, my wife and I headed north in our little jeep for three nights at the Blue Waters Inn. We were not disappointed. First of all, we were very happy to take Steve's advice and stay in the north of the island, as it seems so far and different from the lowlands/southern end. Speyside is a small and very friendly town... we had great food at some of the smaller establishments, such as the roti shop overlooking the football field, and in town. We met many locals while drinking Stag, and people really seemed to open up once we got past the whole tourist thing.

Now the hotel: The Blue Waters general manager Duane, greeted us like king and queen when we arrived and that part of the experience was indeed super. Duane seems to have a well-informed sense of what people want out of a trip to a place like the Blue Waters, and it shows. We had a room on the top floor of the highest building (the one with the tallest ceilings which I would surely request if returning), because our room was light and airy with a vaulted ceiling that made it feel very spacious. The room was always clean, and we almost never used the AC... just left the doors open to hear the birds, feel the breeze, and listen to the waves crashing right below our window. I am happy that I read on this site to request a second floor room... it made a big difference, not only in the ceiling, but on the first floor, people could certainly see in your room as they are walking by.

The location of the hotel could not be more spectacular... right on the water on a very scenic dramatic bay, with Goat Island and Little Tobago in full view. The water was not particularly clean to swim in, but I know it is attributable to the late lasting rainy season and all of the massive runoff and floods from the November storms and December rain. On a clear spring day in this bay, I imagine there are few places as beautiful.

Now the food... in fairness to the Blue Waters, my wife and I never ate lunch or dinner there, and breakfast only once. We like to try local food whenever possible, and we did this almost always (except for one great meal at the new and improved Speyside Inn restaurant where the dilligent new German owners have grand plans). When we were first going to go eat at the restaurant at the Blue Waters, we noticed a couple having a bit of an exchange with one of the waitresses, and they seemed very unhappy, so we decided to ride to town and see what we could find. And later that night, over some Stags in the bar, we were talking with a Brit who was staying there for a couple of weeks who admitted "no, the food here is not brilliant." Frankly, we took one look at the menu and had to be convinced that the food was not going to be too good. The menu was voluminous. There was so much on offer, that how could it be fresh? It was about 4-5 pages long, and offered so many items that we felt lost. I know people like variety, but it always seems to make more sense to me to offer fewer items that will be fresher and tastier.

We did have breakfast one morning, and frankly our experience was anything but pleasant. The two waitresses who reluctantly paid any attention to us served me horrible coffee (I switched to Nescafe), stail bread, and we really did feel like we were pulling teeth when we asked for anything. Needless to say, this confirmed us not eating dinner there.

HOWEVER, let me add, that apart from this, it was a wonderful hotel in a mind-blowingly beautiful setting, with a great, clean room, that was surely worth the $100 US we spent per night. Just the dining room needs some attention. Aside from this, we would highly recommend the BWI.

Thanks, Ernesto Blokosso
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Ernesto,
Glad you enjoyed the BWI, It's certainly one of my favorite places, but I must admit the diving has got a lot to do with that.

We had a second floor room on our last visit and I fully agree with your comments they are super but don't spread it around or they will all be booked the next time I visit. :lol:

We used the restaurant a few times in October and it has improved over the last couple of years, while the menu is quite long not everything is available, so I think they cook what ever they can get fresh, but there are better places to eat in Speyside. We also tend to eat out a fair bit but the Speyside Inn has been closed the last few times but we will defiantly give it a try on our next visit.

Thanks for the great report.

Kevin

Return to “Blue Waters Inn”