Robbery at Coco Reef

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Jenny Morris

Robbery at Coco Reef

Post by Jenny Morris »

We were having a lovely holiday at this hotel until we had money and other items stolen from our room. This complety ruined the relaxing time we were having and turned it into a nightmare. We were also were on honeymoon so this was a dreadful thing to happen. The manager kindly promised to reimburse us the money to our credit card as it was obviously a member of staff who had stolen the money. However, once we arrived home the manager initially tried to go back on the promise, and then simply ignored our emails. :(
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Jenny

This is a serious allegation and I wonder what this forum can do, if anything ... and I appreciate that you have made your post in exasperation.

Unfortunately, I doubt if this forum is geared up to deal with such allegations ... have you been through the proper channels?

Firstly, was it reported to the police .?. if so, was it by you or the resort?

Why are you sure it was a member of staff ? ... this point should also be made known to the Police ... they would need to investigate ... any reputable resort would happily cooperate with the authorities.

I do not mean to doubt your post, I am sure it was an awful experience ... but I am worried that a Resort Manager would be prepared to shell out money to compensate misdemeanours carried out by his/her staff ... that cannot solve your problem, their problem or the problems to be experienced by future visitors.

The facts should be made known to the right authorities in the first instance and, by all means, make the findings known on this forum when they have been proved.

The Resort in question is very reputable and I am sure that other readers will wish to learn of the outcome of this allegation.

Best of luck.
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Jane H
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Jane H »

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate experience - the more so because it was your honeymoon. I hope that everything gets resolved with Coco Reef asap.

I guess this is a reminder to everyone to make use of safety deposit boxes if they are available. Sadly this seems to be necessary everywhere now - even in Tobago.

Jane
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

I am shocked and disapointed at reading the report from Jenny of their sad robery at The Coco Reef.
In an earlier thread I actually said I would feel comfortable to leave medium valued items in my room.
I have to say that I would not now having read this.
I also said earlier that the cost of installing room safes in each room would be minimal for such a hotel, this would I am sure remove the temptation someone could not resist.
We are returning to The Coco Reef in September and are now more than a little concerned.
I hope the manager has second thoughts and honour his initial comitment as that also is not good to hear.
John & Chris Gilham
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hang on everybody ... lets give the Coco Reef Resort a chance to respond.

Alternatively, let us wait to hear if Jenny has informed the Police and the incident has been confirmed and/or the thieves identified.

With the greatest of respect to Jenny, I have no reason to doubt what sounds like an awful experience but I would appeal to everyone to note that:-

JENNY HAS MADE ALLEGATIONS.

This forum is not geared up to accept allegations of this nature unless they have been substantiated. In this case, the allegations have NOT been substantiated ... yet.

I made this clear in my last post.

Can you imagine the damage that such allegations could do to the Coco Reef Resort if we take one side of a story that proves to be unfounded?

No 'knee-jerk' reactions please.

All we know is that Jenny says some items (including cash) were stolen from her room and that she made an agreement with the manager that her credit card would be credited with an undisclosed sum.

I would appeal to Jenny to come forward and respond to the questions I made in my previous post ... PM/email me Jenny if you prefer and I will do all I can to get this clarified/sorted out.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Pat B

Post by Pat B »

I would like to endorse Paul's comments. Naturally if things go missing from rooms, the staff are the first to be suspected, but I can tell you that this is not always the case! Criminals go on holiday, and sometimes take the opportunity to take things if the right time presents itself. Also the word 'robbery' inflames the situation as this is used when violence is used - not in this case.

Obviously a very upsetting situation which the manager tried to rectify initially which has thrown possibly unnecessary 'guilt' on the hotel. Safes in the rooms would greatly assist all round.

Pat
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

I agree with all said in suport of the hotel but would like to see a comment by the hotel managment as they will have the incident logged and will by now be able to advise what has been concluded.

I am not of the feeling that there is no truth in the report because people in general may complain about service etc but dont make such things up anmd then post them on forums for no reason.

I still feel however that The Coco Reef probably has far fewer such incidents than the average hotel but knowing of it paints a bad picture.

I would still like to see safes in the rooms as this makes life more convenient for everyone.

What does the hotel think?

John
Barry

Post by Barry »

Paul,

I'm not sure Jenny actually wanted this forum to do anything. She was simply reporting the facts as she saw them. She states that the hotel manager offered to recompense her which implies that he believed it was a member of staff - we have no reason to doubt what Jenny says.

Jenny,

Very sorry to hear of this incident. It is always sad when this happens but on Tobago it seems much worse as we all expect so much of the place - perhaps too much sometimes.

[/u]
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Hi Barry

What can I say?

I do not mean to disbelieve Jenny. I am sure it was a bad experience, especially on her honeymoon.

The fact that the payment to her credit card has not been fulfilled indicated that this is a cause that has yet to be resolved and that must be a worry to others that read this forum and are planning a visit to the resort (i.e.; this is a fundamental security issue).

I am more concerned that no indication has been given about the hotel's willingness to investigate and identify the alleged member of staff ... if it was a member of staff ... this is the worrying part.

I also get twitchy when someone registers on this forum and their first post is a serious allegation like this when the matter has clearly not been resolved ... this allegation is Jenny's first post and made shortly after she registered. Has she any other things to say about her experience of Tobago?

This forum is a rare gem ... it is independent and free for all ... uncensored ... people can register and say what they like ... everyone should respect that, value it's impartiality and give full and careful consideration to the consequences of a complaint about a bad experience they have had ... erm ... to be fair, that also applies to positive posts too !!

Meanwhile ... we have yet to hear of any clarification from Jenny ... JENNY ?

Regards
Paul Tallet
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

I showed real concern as soon as I saw Jenny's posting, however if she fails to come back I will be thinking again.
i would also like to see feedback from the Hotel....if that is a possibility on such a forum.
Regards
John
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Me too, John.

Waiting ...
Paul Tallet
Jenny Morris

Post by Jenny Morris »

I posted this as I wanted people to be careful at this hotel. When your on a holiday like this you do forget things like this as you do not think it will happen. The money was not just lying around, in was in my bag inside a draw. The thief would of had to go though our room to find it. The relaxing feel of this hotel and the bliss you feel when on holiday or getting married!! you forget things that you should not. We reported the incident to the police. The duty manager reasurred us that the money stolen would be credited to our account as he was sure it would have to be a member of staff that was resposible. He did say that things like this had happened before at the hotel before. He said that the matter would be looked into and staff who had access to our room would be interviewed. We have had no feed back from the hotel. Coco Reef did not refund the money to our credit card. Our insurance would not pay out either as the items were not in the safe. All I can say is always put all items in the safe. But you do not we except this from a hotel like Coco Reef. We were more upset by the promise of the duty manager to cover the money that was stolen. This happen on our honeymoon and we had our wedding at the hotel also so this adds to the insult.
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

I am glad Jenny has confirmed her claim and I am sure things like this will happen all the time human beings are around.
However I am dissapointed to hear that she has not heard from the hotel since and that they did not honour their promis to credit her account.
Its not necessaraly the value but the principal here and even more so that this was a very important memory tainted for her and her husband.

It has made me think that I wont now take my £2000 camera with me in September as it is too large to put in a safety deposit box. I have to say last time at the hotel I left my camera in the room and it was ok.
To be honest I felt comfortable that the risk was minimul in such a hotel.
That view has now been shattered.

I am surprised that the hotel has not made a comment on such a key forum.

I am still looking forward to visiting as I certainly would not leave cash in a hotel room in the UK so why abroad?

Just wish they had room safes in the Coco Reef.

John
Jenny Morris

Post by Jenny Morris »

I thought this was a place to give feedback to others on your experiences. This was my experience and it was most upsetting. I used the word robbery as this was what it was. Our room was locked only a member of staff could have gained access to our room and our belongings. The money was in my purse in my bag in a draw. Yes my fault maybe!! but someone went though our personal belongings and stole it, robbed it whatever you feel comfortable with! it was taken. This was a warning to others to be careful this incident happen were we got married and stayed on honeymoon. We had saved for over five years for this holiday and this experience did ruin it. I am sorry this would upset anyone and I have the right to warn others about this hotel. We were also promised the money back by the duty manager and he went back on his word.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

Jenny

Thank you for replying.

I guess this Hotel now has to address this issue.

The most concerning is the duty manager's assurance that money would be paid to Jenny's credit card account and I suppose he took Jenny's word of the amount lost ... that strikes me as odd.

The insurance issue is also a very relevant point.

I am not sure if the other hotels have safes in the rooms, the Rex didn't when I was there but they could take care of valuables at reception.

Once again, thanks Jenny for clarifying.

Regards
Paul Tallet
Jenny Morris

Post by Jenny Morris »

Tobago is a truely wonderful place and we would go back again just not to the Coco Reef!
Jenny
Jenny Morris

Post by Jenny Morris »

Tobago is a truely wonderful place and we hope to go there again, just not to the Coco Reef.

Jenny
Nathan J

Post by Nathan J »

Hi all,

I just got back from Tobago on Monday evening and have just poped onto the website to remind me of what I'm missing :cry:

I noticed Jenny's post which immediately reminded me of a news item on the early morining Tobago cable channel i watched during my first week.

It stated that a local man had been arrested and put before the court for entering villa's on, i think Coco Reef (i'm almost positive), it did state that he had taken from one room an amount in pounds sterling, 600 rings a bell, and a mastercard. I watched the news every morning while i was there and that was the most serious crime i can remember which is why it stuck in my head i think. They didn't mention member of staff only that he was a local man.

If this is the same incident, and i think it possibly is given the infrequency this type of thing occurs, then i think Jenny should have been kept better informed by the Hotel as to what was happening.

I spoke to some locals i know about this incident and Jenny is right, there are bad people where ever you go and this should serve as a warning to us all.
Nick Robinson

my experience

Post by Nick Robinson »

I,ve just got back and thought i'd read a few of the latest posts.

We stayed at the coco reef and used their really good safety deposit boxes for passports and tickets etc. However after initial care (hiding money and cameras etc in the room) by the end of the week I was not only leaving the camera etc in full view but i left small amounts of cash out on the table etc for the last few days despite the fact the room was serviced twice each day.
This was done out of complete confidence in the hotel staff.
There was never a problem. I would'nt suggest everyone now do this but I offer it up to prevent a "Coco Reef stafff are theives" view becoming common.

I hope all works out ok for you Jenny. My honeymoon was in Scarborough (the yorkshire one).
Sue-S

Coco Reef robbery

Post by Sue-S »

I was very sorry to hear of the robbery at Coco Reef, the incident must have been very upsetting for you Jenny.
I do have to say however that although we used a safety deposit in reception, after a week we just left money and jewellery on our dressing table, we had no qualms whatsoever as we found the staff absolutely charming and trustworthy. Its all very sad when you hear reports such as these.

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”