Tropikist Hotel

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Marion B

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Marion B »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 26 February 2003

I have been visiting the Tropikist for the past 10 years on and off and have been to other islands in between but Tobago is our favourite. We always meet people that have stayed before and are back again. We have found the service at the hotel a bit slow but then it is the Caribbean. But have always found the staff and owner of the hotel very pleasant and freindly. So everyone please don't be put off by one persons bad experience.
L Murfet

Tropikist Hotel

Post by L Murfet »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 26 February 2003

Hi Marion. Thanks for that - nice to know as we are going in May and were a bit worried after some of the postings! Just one question - can you swim from the beach? Thanks.
Irene

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Irene »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 27 February 2003

Hi L Murfett, it wasn't one person, it was six people! Let me just say that we stayed at the Tropikist hotel two years ago and had a great time. There is one director who is a very quiet man and he is nice. The other two are very nasty indeed. In the Caribbean no one minds having to wait for things... but for goodness sake, 2 hours for your dinner! Other guest were complaining about all kinds of things and that made us uncomfortable, staff ignoring them at the bar when it wasn't busy, dirty tables, awful food, rooms not cleaned till 4pm and then badly, holes in the towels and a member of staff that was very rude to a guest simply because he brought his beach towels back in the evening. There is no excuse for this kind of behaviour. You don't need it on holiday. There are plenty of great places to stay where you will be treated with dignity and respect. On the other hand if you don't complain you'll probably be ok!!
Arlene Williams

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Arlene Williams »

We stayed at the Tropikist. Our rooms were nice, but the food and service were poor. Pity because the island was so wonderful and we had a brilliant holiday. I've never seen my sons happier. We did witness an argument between senior staff and guests than convinced me that the hotel is very racist. They're not local people - I assume they're from Trinidad. We met one couple who had been to the Tropikist four or five times. However, most people shared our view and wouldn't return. We are currently planning our next trip to Tobago. It won't be to the Tropikist.

Arlene.
Marion B

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Marion B »

L Murfet. In reply to your question re swimming from the beach we have never, but people to snorkell from there. And it is ok to sunbathe down there. But there is a lot of coral etc. But with the lovely swimming pool at the Tropikist we are more than happy to go in there and a short walk to Store bay or taxi to Pigeon point.
Wendell Grosvenor

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Wendell Grosvenor »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 23 March 2003

I agree with Irene, “ You don’t need it on Holiday”. We stayed at the Tropikist Mar 2003 and founded it stressful. We made some lame excuse (we feared hostilities) and checked out early. Things haven’t changed much since Irene’s visit eg surly service, poorly prepared rooms, air con. that didn’t work, poor linen, meals etc. and the whole feel of the place. To top it all we were done over on the rate when we came to pay. In my opinion there is nothing too wrong with the hotel, every thing that you see in the brochures/website is there – it’s just the running of the place. Nothing would persuade me to stay there again - especially on holiday. Incidentally our escape tunnel bought us up in Sandy Point Village. The accommodation was excellent value for money, friendly, had everything that we needed (including a fridge, air con that worked and a complimentary transport to Pigeon Point all at a fraction of the price.
Irene

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Irene »

Thank you Wendell and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hope others will take our comments to heart. If you had told the staff the real reason you wanted to check out you would have got ripped off even more. Tobago has many wonderful places where one can stay and where visitors are treated with curtesy and made to feel welcome. So why take the chance. Glad you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.
Maggie

Not one bad experience but many

Post by Maggie »

I have to say that bad experiences at the Tropikist seem to be the norm and not just a one off experience. I have looked at other sites and there are very many negative comments about this hotel. All seem to agree that that the service at the hotel is slow and of the I couldnt care less attitude. One man had arranged his wedding at the hotel but when he got there nothing was organised and no one cared! How bad is that. But having stayed at the Tropikist I have to say that it seems to be quite normal that no one cares. I experienced staff who tried their best and some of whom were very nice, but they were directed by people who really do need some customer care skills - swearing at guests and laughing in their faces being part of the holiday. I am happy for anyone who goes and doesn't have this sort of experience,but if you go on holiday you dont want this sort of experience. I have been to very many hotels in many different countries but this is quite possibly the worst for service and in such wonderful surroundings. I was so disguted by my experience I wrote to the tourist board and the local paper - lets hope things change.
Josie Venn

Tropikist - recent visit

Post by Josie Venn »

Hi - just returned from an excellent 2 week holiday. I did have reservations about staying at the Tropikist but pleased to say it was absolutely wonderful.... The staff couldnt do enough for my 2 kids, all very friendly and helpful. ok the service at dinner was a bit slow but then it seemed that the whole island was this way.... the longest we had to wait was 1 hour but then they did offer us room service as the kids were too tired by the time the food came. No problems with the rooms either. I would recommend this hotel and would definately pay another visit in the near future. The manager was also concerned that guests enjoyed themselves and was constantly asking us what faults we found to which we gave an honest answer which he thanked us with a nice big bottle of rum when it was time to leave.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Josie

I’m truly delighted that you had an excellent holiday and that you were happy with the Tropikist.

It just goes to show that myTobago.info is working and that people are taking notice and responding to the criticism and comment of our readers. I know that the Tropikist have been monitoring the forum and must have been feeling the effect of the opinion expressed here, so speaking personally, I am delighted that they have responded and are now taking interest in their guests.

So, credit where credit is due - well done Tropikist (although waiting an hour for a meal is a bit out of order, even for Tobago).
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”