Tobago Sea Kayaking Experience

What to see, what to do, where to go
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

My family (5 of us) decided to book a trip on the Sea Kayaking Experience after reading about the tours and learning that the Charlottesville tours provided access to areas that we had not yet reached, not to mention the very positive review on this site.

The business is operated by Clark Weissinger, a fully qualified Sea Kayak Instructor. The base is in Charlottesville where a range of tours are available but I understand that additional tours are available around the Buccoo Reef area.

Clark has indicated that he is looking at other areas in which to operate tours, one favourite of which appears to be an area around Canoe Bay just south of the air-strip near Crown Point.

Clark Weissinger

Considering his responsibilities as a Sea Kayak Instructor, Clark is so laid back he is horizontal.

He is one of the nicest and considerate tour operators that I have ever had the pleasure to meet in Tobago. Just 5 minutes in his company and you will consider him to be a good friend.

The Kayaks

These are the real deal. I have been canoeing before but I have never had the experience of Kayaking, as Clark discovered while fishing me out of the sea after my first launch into Man ‘O War Bay.

My son, Jim was second to get his dunking.

You need good balance to use the Single Kayaks but please do not be put off … you get used to this after a short while and, with an instructor like Clark, you are safe and assured of a great Kayaking experience.

Clark also offers 2 seater Kayaks for those with small children.

The main thing about the Kayaks is that they give you access to certain beaches around Charlottesville that you would never otherwise visit.

Safety

Absolute … Clark is packed to the eyeballs with medication in case you get caught out and he is a safe and sure person to be around.

You wear life jackets ... the other option would be to stay behind !!

Tour 1

Clark took us from his Charlottesville base to Booby Island, named after the Boobies that reside and nest there … pretty daft birds I understand, hence the name ‘Booby’ … we were treated to the sight of a nesting pair.

From Booby Island we made our way to Hermitage Bay where we learned that a very small community of about 6 dwellings exist. Clark indicated that this was probably the most rural area in the Caribbean.

After landing the Kayaks on Hermitage Bay we took a walk into the Rainforest.

Clark pointed out countless numbers of birds and local vegetation and led us up the river to a waterfall (about 2 miles) where we had a refreshing dip and a less gruelling walk back down to Hermitage Bay.

Back in the Kayaks, we made our way to Lovers Bay where Clark left us to do some snorkelling while he kayaked away to get lunch.

Lovers Bay is a tiny bay just next to Cambleton Bay. It is surrounded and protected by a pristine and shallow coral reef, outside of which is a deeper channel between the reef and Booby Island.

The bay itself is inaccessible from land due to a sheer cliff that plunges down to the luscious white sand that is spreckled by terracotta-red coloured fire coral particles.

Lunch comprised of curried egg, a variety of chutneys, beans and other locally produced food … delicious.

We returned to base as the sun set after an afternoon of tranquillity and excellent snorkelling at Lovers Bay.

The Snorkelling

The reef around Lovers Bay is quite extensive, very shallow and in pristine condition. Very few other tour operators can get their boats close to the coral, particularly at low tide.

In fact the reef is so shallow at low tide that you must take great care not to get too close to the corals that can be seen very clearly from above the water.

The snorkelling experience here is unlike any other snorkelling I have done in Tobago.

In a very short space of time you could see countless shoals of fish and some real treats with Moray Eels, Barracuda, huge Parrot Fish, Angelfish (including a grey Angelfish I saw for the first time).

In the deeper parts towards Booby Island the corals and fish become more exotic and colourful … the Barracuda bigger !!

Tour 2

This was me being cheeky and to emphasise how versatile Clark is.

On the second last day of our holiday I asked my family about their favourite day … silly question !!

I rang Clark and asked if he could fit us in the next day, it was a Sunday.

“Sure, lets do something say from around 1000 to 1300”, he said. He had a lunch appointment at 1400.

We duly arrived at 1000 sharp … “so where do you want to go?” he asked … another silly question !!

So we kayaked back to Lovers Bay and I guess we spent at least a full hour snorkelling around the beautiful corals with Clark.

Sheer Bliss.

Price

For 5 of us, Clark charged TT$1,650 for Tour 1. I guess that adds up to £30 each (UK) or $50 each (US) … beats Alton Towers or Disneyland for a day out doesn’t it?

Tour 2 cost TT$1,240 which is a bit higher per person and there was no lunch included but Clark did this at short notice and went exactly where we wanted to go.

The tours are priceless experiences and consideration needs to be given to Clark’s responsibility to your personal safety and the preparation and maintenance of the Kayaks he operates.

Summary

I have been a little perplexed as to why I have only discovered the Tobago Sea Kayak Experience in my 5th visit to Tobago.

The term ‘Experience’ is fully justified and one that any visitor to Tobago should not miss … Clark offers a very suitable alternative to conventional Reef Tours and Glass Bottom Boat Operators.

The Sea Kayak Tours are exceptional experiences no matter which tour operator does them, but above all … Clark Weissinger is quite simply a bit of a gem and that is what makes the Tobago Sea Kayak Experience so special.

Go meet him, but first see his website at http://www.seakayaktobago.com

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature
Lynn Morris
myTobago Enthusiast
myTobago Enthusiast

Post by Lynn Morris »

I should have posted about this before, but only just got round to posting after returning from Tobago in February.

My husband Tim & I went out with Clark and had an excellent day - one of the highlights of our Trip to Tobago....a day with Sea Kayaking Experience is a MUST for anyone going to Tobago - you doin't need any experience, he caters for everyone.

Excellent trip!!

Lynn

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”