Top River Pearl vs Rosa's

Friendly small apartment house in Charlotteville (listing)
Pete Mancini

Top River Pearl vs Rosa's

Post by Pete Mancini »

We are planning a trip to Charlotteville and were planning on staying at TRP but are growning a bit concerned due to the complaints of loud noise/music often seen in this forum. Is this concern founded?

Secodary to this question is if anyone has stayed at Rosa's guesthouse? Could this be a quieter alternative to TRP?
Any other recomendations for lodging in Charlotteville would be appreciated.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Pete

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Sorry, I confess you've lost me. Where did you see complaints about Top River Pearl being noisy? I vaguely recall a vitriolic report from one guy who arrived there right at the end of the floods, late last year. Did he mention noise. Can't remember!

OK, let's take this back to basics. What is noisy? If you are going to stay in a village, you have to expect some noise - particularly in a Caribbean village. Tobagonians love their music and yes, you will regularly hear radios/music centres being played in ANY village in Tobago. Then there's the roosters and traffic, etc., etc. So, any village is going to be noisier than a completely isolated rural spot with no neighbours.

So, how about Top River Pearl. Well, first of all its on the back edge of the village, not in the centre. In fact, if you take the pier as the centre of the village, its about as far from the centre as Rosa's.

Is it noisy. Well having stayed there I can categorically state that I did not find it noisy. In fact I would have called it quiet and peaceful. Yes, I could hear the congregation siging in the church next door one Sunday, but I personally found that very pleasant (despite the fact that I'm not religious). I heard no loud radios/music centres and the traffic was minimal (the road ends just after TRP so there's nowhere for traffic to go). My only complaint on noise was the truck that insisted on clearing the public garbage bins just down the road at 6am once a week - but you would have that problem everywhere else in the village as well.

Please take it from me that within the constraints of being located in a normal Tobagonian village, TRP has no 'noise' issues other than those of guests with an axe to grind.

Take it from me, having stayed there.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Pete Mancini

Post by Pete Mancini »

fair enough, thanks for the info
Paul Williams
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Paul Williams »

Having stayed at Top River Pearl last year and been one of the people who in my overall views of our stay in Charlotteville did complain about the playing of very loud dancehall music I would like to say that I would have no worries about staying at TRP again or indeed in the village.
It really is a very comfortable place to stay as you are approx 200 yards from the seafront and if you are as lucky as us you will find yourselves sharing it with like minded people.
I would suggest you check my comments about things to do in the area and maybe try some of them out as I am sure you will enjoy them.
We have already booked our flights to go back to Tobago for easter next year and will hope to win some prizes on the forthcoming raffle.
Have a great time.
Paul
Louise I
myTobago Nut
myTobago Nut

Post by Louise I »

I have stayed at TRP and loved it - but want to try Rosa's next time as it is right next to the sea - and one noise I like to send me to sleep is the sea!
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

I agree with Steve.While I was there there was noise-there were two wakes held-BUT-the noise did not go on through the night,it finished about 930pm and was really not intrusive but rather atmospheric!Other noises were the Church singing,very pleasant,and children playing at the school 20yds away,again a pleasant noise.You will like TRP,the staff are great as is the place itself.Enjoy,
David(count down is imminent :D )

Return to “Top River Pearl”