Coco Reef Resort, accesible for non-residents?

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Alexander Stojanovic

Post by Alexander Stojanovic »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 09 March 2003

Hello again, Have read the fantastic review on CRR ( thanks Steve Wooler & co-writer) but was not able to catch if the beach and restaurant fascilites were accessable by non-residents of the hotel. We are going to rent a villa, but would also like to make use of services that are available. Does anyone have any information about thia matter?

Alexander Stojanovic
(Oslo / Norway)
Jill Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Jill Wooler »

Hello Alexander

Thanks for your kind comments on the Coco Reef Resort review. The C.C.R's Beach Bar and Restaurant are both open to non-residents. All the beaches on Tobago are, in theory, open to the public but as the beach at C.C.R is man-made (sand imported from Guyana) and only accessible from the hotel, I don't know if this still comes under the category of 'public beach'.
Jill Wooler
www.myTobago.info
Alexander Stojanovic

Post by Alexander Stojanovic »

Thank you for your reply Jill. I must say, I'm amazed to see how well-made your and Steve's site on Tobago is. I wish other could learn a few things from you people regarding how to make a web-site both interesting and informative. Thank you for giving me and my family the opportunity to make extensive research before leaving for Tobago in july 2003. Keep up the good work!
Steve Wooler

Coco Reef Resort - accesible or non-residents

Post by Steve Wooler »

Thanks Alexander, your comments are appreciated. However, it is only fair to declare that I am a professional webmaster. Although this is a private project that has snowballed out of all proportion, if I am going to do it, professional pride dictates that I must do it properly.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
David Lewis

Post by David Lewis »

When we arrived at Tobago Airport last Thursday we were told that our Monarch flight back to the UK was delayed for 4 hours. We hastily retrieved our swimming gear from our cases, checked our luggage in and headed to the Coco Reef for the rest of the day. We had not been guests, having stayed in Castara, and were charged 126 TT$ each (adults only, children were free) for use of the facilities and towels. When we got to the pool there was some confusion as to whether it was open or not and it did not look very inviting. I raised this with the management and to their credit they gave us complimentary use of the spa facilities so that we could shower and clean up in readiness for the return flight. The rest of the day was spent on their fabulous beach and, for once, I was thankful for our flight being delayed.

David
Phyllis O

Coco Reef Pool

Post by Phyllis O »

David

I am travelling to Tobago on 24th April and will be staying at the Coco Reef Resort. I am a little concerned about your comments on the swimming pool as I have to admit to being a bit of a "poolite" on holiday.

I do understand from reading other reviews that the pool might not be the biggest but I'm wondering if your comments suggest that there might be a hygiene issue with it. Could you elaborate for me?

Bye the way Steve, I have to say that this is a fantastic website and forum. I have gained so much knowledge of the island before even going there by reading the various reviews.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Phyllis

Thanks. I'm glad that we're achieving our aim.

Like you, I was intrigued by David's comments so have sent him a Private Message asking if he would be good enough to expand on the point. I have also written to the hotel asking if they have work going on with the pool at the moment. I last saw it in mid-February and it was fine then. Yes, it’s on the small size, but in honesty so few people use it with such wonderful calm sea-bathing just a few metres away that it is more than big enough for its purpose. It has always been extremely clean and well-maintained when I have seen it, so I can only imagine that there was some maintenance work going on there last week.

I’m sure we shall have an update for you within the next 24 hours, so fear not – I’m sure it was a temporary thing and that you can look forward to many hours relaxing by the poolside.

Have a great trip and let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Again Phyllis

David has kindly just responded to my message, sent to him via the forum's Private Message service. He says:
Hi Steve,
Apparently the pool was unusable for the one day only. We were told, by guests, that the Hotel had not got chemical mix right and that they had been adviced not to use the pool. There seemed to be a bit of confusion since several guests told this to me but the reception desk said there was no problem. Anyhow, at the time the pool did not look too inviting and as we did not see any guests use the pool we decided against using it ourselves. Having said that, the sea bathing facilities are so good that the lack of a pool was not a problem.

Regards David
As I thought - you have no need to worry. As I know from bitter personal experience, if you (or the computer running chemical control) screw up the chemical dosages you can soon leave a pool looking very murky and uninviting. That would seem to be the case here and these things are generally sorted with 24 hours.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”