Grafton Beach Resort

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
Philip

Grafton Beach Resort

Post by Philip »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 16 March 2003

Hi all

Anyone considering some fun in the sun should go to the Grafton. Wifey, Me, and the Kids thought we would escape Trini Carnival this year for some R + R bago style, and selected a week all inclusive at the newly refurbished Grafton Beach Hotel.

It is truly a beautiful hotel on the beach, designed to offer all rooms an uniterupted view of the Caribbean Sea. All the rooms are well appointed with balconies. Amenities include Squash Courts, also in the Sister Hotel immediatly adjacent, there's a fully equipped Gym, Spa, etc. which you can use.

Whilst being renovated, they also refurbished the chef, and the quality of the cuisine is wonderful. Buffet style Breakfast with the usual bacon, eggs, Beans, sausage, French toast, Fresh fruit ceriel. Juice coffee tea etc etc. (I'm getting hungry) Additionally every day they do local dishes, such Saltfish, cornbeef, bake, choka, roti. sardines. You choose your lunch spot at the beach rest / bar by the pool in the dining room, in you room. Probably in your car if you want it. (the staff are there to please) Lunch is menu style by the beach (Sundays BBQ) and extensive buffet choice in the Hotel. In the evening you get the full treatment. By the pool there is an intimate fish and seafood restaurant with about 5 or 6 main dishes to select from, ( have to book this the day or so before) Or the main restaurant with all the posh food Filet Mignon, snails, pork tenderloin to die for. Rack of lamb. quality. Needless to say you have salads sweets cheese and of course Vino Brandy etc.

Every evening you are entertained by one of Tobago's sons or daughers, the entertainment is different every night. The pool bar is open all day and 3 til 5 every day they have adopted the good old Britsh custom of afternoon tea (my mummy would definatly approve, god bless her)

Grafton is truly a great place to stay and I would have no hestation in recomending it to anybody.
Tobago John

Grafton Beach Resort

Post by Tobago John »

I know the Grafton has come a long way recently, but I couldnt help noticing that you just told Glyn you were from Trinidad. Maybe I've got a suspicious mind, but you don't happen to work for an advertising agency do you?
Walu

Grafton Beach Resort

Post by Walu »

'Phillip' posts as 'Mr Everything' on the LP TT and has posted the same report there-for which he was roasted crisp (!) Fleeing Trinidad @ Carnival time is common for Trinidadians-I see no reason to believe he's shilling for that Hotel.
Tobago John

Grafton Beach Resort

Post by Tobago John »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 17 March 2003

He actually called himself "Mr Interesting", Walu, and not surprisingly he was flamed by everyone and called "Mt (Not Very) Interesting". Hardly surprising, posting treacle in a Lonely Planet forum. What are your views, Steve? I thought this site was for balanced opinion. The guy didn't even mention that the beach restaurant is currently closed, so how can we take him seriously? According to him, I might as well cancel my September holiday at Le Grand Courlan and save money and come next door because the 4* Le Grand can't be any better than the 3* Grafton according to his repot.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Grafton Beach Resort

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 17 March 2003

Hi John.

I’m a bit busy at the moment so haven’t had time to look at the Lonely Planet site. I was very impressed with the Grafton when I went round it in January, as my own report in the forum made clear. I have received several reports saying how much the catering has improved. I must admit that if I had been on ‘duty’ this weekend, I would have checked the IP address of Philip’s post and viewed it with suspicious if it had originated in T&T. Fortunately Philip has saved me the job as he admits that he lives in Trinidad, I am somewhat reassured. As Walu says, lots of Trinis come over to Tobago to escape Carnival.

Is a report totally in praise of an establishment less valid than one that levies only criticism? It’s all relative, after all. Readers can only form their own conclusion from every report written here. I’m not being funny, but if you’re staying at Le Grand, why are you worried about a good report about the Grafton?
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Philip

Banned from myTobago

Post by Philip »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 19 March 2003

Oh my, one post and I get a ban, It seems I have been blackballed from posting. Oh well only tried to help

Love Philip
Steve Wooler

Banned from myTobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 19 March 2003

Fear not, my friend. This forum is here for the exchange of views and if it gets a little lively on occasion, then it serves to make the experience a little more interesting, I guess. I'm sorry that you got a rough ride from some readers. Worry not. Your views and comments are welcome anytime.
Steve Wooler
Philip

Banned from myTobago

Post by Philip »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 21 March 2003

Steve Hi

My apologies for the accusation, It seems that I maybe guilty of pushing the wrong post button. Anyhow your kind words are much appreciated.

Steve whilst writing I would like confirm my position, if I may. I am merely a Travel Nut, it is apart from my family, my greatest passion. Over the years I have many times been helped by sites similar to this, in getting info on all manner of travel subjects. In return where I can I try and do the same thing for other travelers. I live in Trinidad, and always have made this clear. I have stayed in the Grafton a few times, as well as Le Grand, Tropikist, Sandy Point, Crown Point Beach Hotel, James Holiday Resort, and many others, where I can get local rates. As you know the Grafton and the Sister have been through the wars, late last year, and as I am able, by comparison, to comment on the Grafton, pre refurb and after, I thought it may be useful to give my personal veiw.

The fact is it has improved, especially the food and variety of choices. I must admit though, the hostility that I have got and the accusations by Tobago John, that I am a liar, make me think its not really viable for me to comment, in this open forum. (I will be happy to answer any questions privately) It seems that because I live in Trini, I must be acting with some ulterior motive.

For the record the Beach Restaurant bar at the Grafton is and was open, when I was there. You know how to verify this. If you do confirm this perhaps you would be kind enough to post the "truth" this will prove that it is not me who is lying. Steve if you do need my help or opinion on anything related to Trinidad, or Tobago, I am here to help, honestly and without any bias.

Please feel free to post a reply to this, and I will be happy to give you my email address.

Philip
Steve Wooler

Banned from myTobago

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Philip

I am delighted to confirm to everyone that the Beach Bar & Restaurant at the Grafton are currently open for normal business. They were closed for a few days in late January due to a planning irregularity - nothing more. That was soon sorted out, so "Tobago John" (personally, I'm always a little suspicious of people who hide behind nicknames) was a little "out" on his own information.

Please continue to contribute. My only advice is to try to be more balanced. Nowhere is perfect - let's be honest. Yes, all reports indicate that the Grafton has come on tremendously since this Winter's refurbishment, but your post was so enthusiastic and non-critical that I must confess it did make me wonder too.

Anyway, you'll always be welcome on myTobago.info.
Steve Wooler
Philip

Banned from myTobago

Post by Philip »

Steve

thanks for your reply. On negatives I could add. The Beef Wellington they made was tough. The soda machine at the pool, refused to make tonic for my gin. They did not have any rental cars left. We got the wrong remote control when we arrived. The card key failed one day. Thats really it. To me none of the above was a problem really, and to mention them seems so petty. In hindsight though I should have, for more balance. I take and agree with your point

Thanks steve
Have a great weekend.

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”