Any Half Moon Blue updates?

9 room hotel and restaurant in Bacolet (listing)
Rob H

Any Half Moon Blue updates?

Post by Rob H »

Evenin all
Myself and my partner are planning on going to Tobago in Nov.
We had been looking at Half Moon Blue but after reading some posts here, now not so sure although the last post seems to be from April 05. Are the rooms (still) a bit poky?
We're also contemplating the Blue Haven in the same area which seems to get good reviews.
We're looking for a quiet break. I will hopefully be windsurfing at Pigeon Point and my partner will be happy next to a good pool or on a nice beach.
We're put off the main area by Crown point as it may be a bit busy/ touristy and also aircraft/ airport noise. Are these unfounded views tho?
I guess if we're staying a Bacelot Bay then we need to think about getting taxi's ($14us round trip?) to restaurants or driving - what are the roads like for driving at night? Bit hairy?
Any thoughts and opinions, espec of half moon blue gratefully received.
Cheers
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

We are just back from the Coco Reef which is very close to the Crown Point Airport but can honistly say there was very little noise to speak of.
In fact no noise from the larger gets as they flew in a direction that did not effect the local area. The only noise was from light aircraft but they were fairly high quickly and were minimal noise generators.
Regards
John G
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Rob

Welcome aboard!

Sadly, the Half Moon Blue appears to be in a state of terminal decline. During our last trip to Tobago (Jan-March 2005) we met around three or four different couples who had spent a few days there and all were very dissapointed and said that the place, and particularly the accommodation, is very run down. Funnily enough, they all qualified this by saying that the Superior Penthouse Loft is supposed to be the only really nice room, but none of them had actually seen it.

If you're looking for a quiet break, then the Blue Haven has an awful lot going for it. The excellent beach is as good as private, although the pool is very small. See our Review for full details.

Yes, Crown Point is touristy. However, forget the bit about airport/aircraft noise - there's none to speak of.

Wherever you stay, you would be advised to hire a car and get about. See our articles in Tobago/Getting About/Car Rental for full info on driving on Tobago. Yes, its a bit mad but childs play compared to driving in London, say. Highly recommended, good fun and the only way to really see the best of the island.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Mandy

post subject

Post by Mandy »

We stayed at a villa in Bacolet early September and went to the half moon for dinner once and once only!!!

The place was deserted we went on a friday night and were the on ly ones in the restaurant maybe the whole hotel. It took ages for the food to arrive and it wasn`t much to shout about, I paid £12.00 for mushy pasta and some type of tomato and chicken sause.

We were warned about the place by the villa staff, but thought we`d give it a go. I would give the place a miss and look for a better place for your holiday, the Blue Haven is very nice and the beach is great we used the beach loads you do feel its very private.

They are building a wooden restaurant and toilet block, but they were going at such a rate it would be finnished by the time you go.

There are a few restaurant in Scarborough which you could walk to depending on fitness, but we had a car and drove down to crown point most nights unless we were BBQ at the villa.

The roads are ok but the Tobagian driving :!: :!: :!: . But you do get use to it.

We had a great time in Tobago and staying at Bacolet, planning the next trip next year now.

Any other info that I can hlep with I`d be happy to do so.

cheers
mandy
Tanya

Half Moon Blue Hotel

Post by Tanya »

We stayed at the Half Moon Blue Hotel early April 2005 for 10 days.
And I have to say, that the Hotel was just excellent. :D :D :D
The staff was very friendly, the room nice and clean, the food really good and the view from the pool area was awesome.
The beach was also nice, and very private, but our favourite beach on the Island was absolutely The Englishman´s Bay.
It was our first time on the island, and it was great. We are definetely coming back to Tobago (hopefully next year) and to the Half Moon Blue Hotel.

We would be very happy for getting some Tips for our next trip to Tobago.

regards
Tanya
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

Hi there,
We were planning to stay at the Half Moon Blue but were discouraged by some points read in this website. We tried the Kariwak Village instead and I don't think you can find a better place to stay if what you need is central location without the noise and general fuss that comes with it. For someone who doesn't want to rent a car, Kariwak is just perfect. Then again, I'd hire a car to explore the island no matter what :P

Return to “Half Moon Blue”