dress code

135 room luxury 4* beachside resort at Crown Point (listing)
Neil Baxter

dress code

Post by Neil Baxter »

hi

me and my bride to be are getting wed in may at coco reaf and have read that the is a dress code . Do the ladys have to were closed toe shoes or not and are ther any other dress codes we should be awere of? :P :P
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Neil

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Yes, there is a dress code - but 'smart casual' covers it. No, closed-toe shoes are not a must for ladies, but are for men. Avoid three-quarter length shorts/pants and denim, no matter who the 'designer' might be.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Neil Baxter

hi

Post by Neil Baxter »

than you for your fast response
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

Good luck with the wedding - what date are you getting married?
Neil Baxter

hi kristen

Post by Neil Baxter »

we are getting married on the 8TH only 4 weeks to go
Kirsten Giles

Post by Kirsten Giles »

We arrive on the 10th so maybe we can have a glass of champagne to celebrate! We really can't wait to be there. Four weeks today I should be sitting on the beach of the CCR enjoying my first cocktail! Yipeeeeee! :lol:

Kirsten
Neil Baxter

Post by Neil Baxter »

hi kristen

it wqould be nice to meet you and the time will fly passed it is getting very close now :D :D :D :D :) :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D
John Gilham

Dress Code

Post by John Gilham »

Hi
We have just returned from St Lucia and are currently alternating between there and the CoCo Reef so am now looking to book 2008.
However i am a little distressed to read Steves comment that Men need to wear closed toe shoes.
Last trip I reported here that i had been stopped entering Tamaras because I was wearing a very expensive pair of leather flip flops when other men were allowed in wearing cheap rubber flip flops.
I complained to Eric at the time and he assured me there was no shoe code and that my flip flopps were ok. in fact he compensated me well for the inconvenience.
Has this changed as if so it will make me re think my plan for 2008.
i cant stand wearing formal shoes to dinner in such a climate. Having said that I never wear 'beach' shoes either.
Regards
John
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi John

Why not write to Eric and ask the question direct? Our advice is based on the experiences of many users - and your own story simply endorse the opinion.

I know the Coco Reef well and personally, I have always considered their dress codes appropriate for that grade and type of hotel. However, they do try to preserve standards. Given the fairly subdued lighting, I would be amazed if the restaurant receptionist would see what shoes a diner was wearing - but I suspect that they do make decisions based on the overall appearance and manner of the diner. God forbid that they should ever end up like the Hilton. However, if you want a more casual experience, why don't you consider the Hilton? The main restaurant (buffet) does not appear to have a dress code - although the fine dining restaurant does.
Steve Wooler
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

Thanks Steve I will do that as I like Eric and the way he runs the hotel. Having said that recent posts worry me.
I do in fact prefer a strict dress code and like the CoCo Reef because of that reason. However I do find covering mens toes (unless they are obscene) a little too far. Having said that I dont like to see beach shoes.
I was very well dressed with a smart collared shirt and quality long white trousers when i was refused entry for Leather £150 thong toed open back sandals (flip flops).
Regards
John
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi John

Its a difficult one to comment on, to be honest. Yes, the hotel tries to keep up standards but I've never seen any evidence, while I've been there, of this being applied over-strictly - in fact my criticism would be that it is NOT applied strictly enough (but, I am now officially a GOM [grumpy old man] and so ignore me).

I am sure that your 'incident' resulted from an over-cautious junior member of staff having a bad day. However, for the benefit of other readers who don't know the hotel, may I explain my reserved comments in my last post.

Some time back we had a similar incident reported in this forum. I won't recount the details, as this would help identify the visitor. However, the crux of the matter was that they were refused entry. A few weeks after they filed the report, I received an email from a visitor I have met and who happened to have been staying at the Coco Reef, and dining in Tamaras, at the time of the alleged incident. She reported to me that the couple involved were the most awful people. They had dined in the restaurant several times before and were loud, drunk and generally obnoxious. On the evening that they were refused entry, they arrived at a particularly busy time and very loudly and beligerantly berated the receptionist for keeping them waiting before being shown to a table.

Knowing the informant, I totally accept her version of events. However, seen from the visitor's perspective, it became a very different story indeed when reported on this forum.

I in no way am suggesting that this was your case, John - I am simply explaining that it is very difficult to pass opinion/judgement when these cases of "inappropriate" dress are reported now and again. If Eric told you that they do not have a dress code on shoes, then take that as fact - and simply mention it to the receptionist if she should raise the question (which I seriously doubt).
Steve Wooler
John Gilham

Post by John Gilham »

Hi Steve
That was definitely not my wife and I who were very well dressed and generally low profile.
The young lady receptionist at the time (2005) was a senior member of staff who was very much in control and in fact made me feel rather inferior.
Its all by the by as Eric sorted it instantly and gave us Champagne and generally saw we were ok for the remainder of the holiday. He even gave us one of those huge Lobsters.
Regards
John
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi John

No - the incident I am referring to was certainly not you, John.
Steve Wooler

Return to “Coco Reef Resort”