Rex Turtle Beach May 2003

125 room budget all-inclusive hotel at Great Courland Bay (listing)
John Hill

Rex Turtle Beach May 2003

Post by John Hill »

Having returned recently I am still on cloud nine, but will do my best to give my opinion of what I can say was a wonderful island.

The outbound flight was great. We flew on the inaugural Virgin flight, flight time 8 hours (See posting New Virgin Flights) The flight was direct to Tobago.

We stayed at the Rex Turtle Beach all inclusive, and I have to agree with most of the other reports posted here regarding the hotel. It is in need of refurbishment, but clean and comfortable.
Most of the staff were extremely pleasant. There was a problem with the hotel water and a note was posted on the main notice board saying that until the situation had been resolved complimentary bottled water was available from the reception area, there was a severe water shortage in Tobago but the rainy season has started so should easy the situation.
The food was good, with a good choice, breakfast was great fresh fruit served by a delightful lady dressed in local dress also with a big welcoming smile, you name it they had it eggs of any type. Lunch buffet was also good loads of fish and salads more fresh fruit. Dinner was of the same standard with a good choice once a week there was a Bar-B-Q with Steak, Chicken, Fish, bangers, Chops etc. And once a week a very good carvery it was generally tasty enough and there was plenty of it.
You could go Al-la-Carte and were given Credit of 135TT$, 8oz steak was 130TT$ and I was told this was very good.

The beach was wonderful you could walk one way to Plymouth a Bar and some shops and the other way to Black Rock Bars and supermarket (Hardly Tesco) the traders very friendly and not at all pushy. My wife had a massage from Mary on the beach too, which after a hard days sun bathing (!) is very welcome and wonderful.
Where else could you help the local fishermen pull there nets in on the beach just yards from the BAR thirsty work pulling in nets.
Highlight seeing the Giant Leatherback Turtles come ashore and lay there eggs we saw 6 during our stay, including one which had got tangled in some fishing nets which we managed to get back into the sea at 06:00 in the morning. (See posting Giant Leather Back Turtles).

We went to the rain forest with a guy called Kelton Thomas who is a qualified Ornithologist, we wanted to see birds, I wouldn't have missed this for the world seeing the Blue-Backed Manakins doing there dance. Awesome, on the way back we took in the Grafton Bird Sanctuary although there had been a fire there were still lots of birds. We hired a car, I was told they drive on the Left (Sometimes)!!. We visited Speyside and got the boat over to Little Tobago, Apart from the Red-Billed Tropicbird & Boobies the birds were much the same as seen before, the sea was rough and I am not a good sailor but I lived to tell the tale. After returning to Blue Water Hotel which was full of police, the President was at the hotel having lunch, we lunched at Gemas Tree House boy the shrimps were so tasty. We travel most of the island and loved Pigeon Point (Just one guard at the gate house) and the other bays, but I liked the location of the Rex as being able to get out and about easy.

We also spent two days in Trinidad staying over night at The Asa Wright Centre famous for its birds and wild life. I would recommend this trip to any bird watchers or nature lovers, on the way back we called at Caroni swamps to watch the Scarlet Ibis returning at sunset hundreds of them flying in to roust for the night a great sight to behold. Cost flight 200TT$ each return 20 minutes flight time Asa Wright 130US$ including meals for us both. http://www.asawright.org We hired car at airport easy trip into mountains can give very good directions if required.

We went to Sunday School which was great fun and my favourite evening of the holiday. The Steel band was great playing anything from Beatles to Classical and we danced and partied with the locals as if we had been on the island for years. I am not joking when I say they are some of the friendliest and nicest people I have ever met. Everyone was just great.
The evening entertainment at the Rex was OK but the dance floor could have been better placed.

Whilst the Rex has to have one of the best locations on the island as far as the beach is concerned, it also offers excellent value for money. Someone said it was full of old people, it may have been once, but with the Virgin Holidays quota of rooms, 28 rooms on our flight there was a good age mix.

Tobago has to be one of the best places I have ever visited for hospitality, beaches and general island beauty. It is just a pity to be home again so soon. Thanks for all the advice on this Web site Steve, keep up the good work I may want to go back next year.

Well “That’s all folks”.
8)
Dave Minter

Turtle Beach Hotel

Post by Dave Minter »

Having spent 14 days at Turtle Beach at roughly the same time as John, I would only echo his thoughts.

Yes the place looks in need of a bit of TLC but bearing in mind the weather they've just had and the effect of the salt in the air I don't think it's too bad. Where it does score however is in the feel of the place. This was one of the best holidays that Bren (my wife) and I have ever had.

We found the staff excellent (apart from the beach bar. For them it's always rush, rush, rush Tobago style that is). Talk to the folk at the hotel and they will return it with a smile. If you are lucky enough to have Sharmin (I hope I've spelt that correctly) as your room maid then you've struck lucky because she's a gem.

As I am possessed with a slim, lithe, athletic figure then food is always of interest to me. At the hotel the Executive Chef is a man called Terry Thomas. One of the things he enjoys is talking to the Guests and getting their feedback on the food. In the 14 days we were there I don't think we had one bad meal.

Talk to the traders on the beach. If you say "No Thanks" almost all will leave you in peace but do have a look to see what they've got. Some of the items are excellent. The tour touts are there. I don't think we heard a bad word said by anyone who had been with AJ or Frankies. We had a trip with 'Stompie the Tuna Man'. This was a terrific journey going along the coast to No Man's Land and was one of the highlights of the hols. One of the highlights that we missed was 'Sunday School'. Everyone we spoke to who went there had a wonderful time.

Having done the good side now let's think about the down bit.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE when you're looking for a holiday and maybe considering this location (glorious as it is) make sure it's what you want. It is NOT Spain with added sun and sand. The people there are different. They are not on a cavalry charge to make money. The pace and attitude to life is much different to that which we are accustomed to.

There are few night - clubs, restaurants have to be travelled to and bed time is often 10pm.

It is a wonderful, wonderful place just make sure it's the type of holiday you want. If you do go there then Enjoy...
Warren B

Spain I dont think so

Post by Warren B »

Hi dave

good to hear you had a fab time, it makes me look forward to my hol all the more.

Unfortunately some brits expect to be able to have all the brit trimmings when they go abroad no matter where it is. and are not prepared to experiment (for want of a better word) with the culture they are visiting.

Unfortunately you can take the brit from spain but you cant get the spainish booze up, with chips an kebab out of the brit.

to enjoy you have to adapt to envoirenments.

Return to “Starfish Tobago”