LGC's Cat and her five kittens

70 room 4* All-Inclusive resort at Stonehaven Bay (listing)
Lorraine

LGC's Cat and her five kittens

Post by Lorraine »

:D We returned from the LGC on 2nd August 2003. While we were there, the hotel had acquired a cat who had five kittens; two tortoiseshells, two tabbys and a black and white one. They seemed to live near the stairs leading up to the pool. When we first arrived, we thought they were starving and we started to take them food and drink from the restaurant. How wrong we were, as every day there would be someone else smuggling food to this loveable little family and they were probably the best fed cats on the Island!

The kittens were only about 6 weeks old when we went, so if anyone visits LGC anytime after August, could you please let me know how they are getting on.

Thanks. :D

Lorraine Cockerell.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Lorraine

I'm delighted you had such a good trip and thanks for all your feedback.

As both Jill and I are complete suckers for furry animals, large or small, we know exactly how you would have felt. It must have been hard not to smuggle one back in your handbag.

Don’t be fooled by the ‘thinness’ of local dogs and cats though. I think that’s largely a genetic and a product of living in the tropics – you’ll find that even when they are well looked after and regularly fed, they are still painfully thin in comparison to what we’re used to at home.

On a more serious note to everyone, please don’t make the mistake of feeding stray dogs and cats. They’re very canny and once you’ve given them even the smallest morsel, they’ll never leave you alone. You’ll find them following you back to the hotel/villa and sometimes even waiting for you. Remember, like us you may love dogs, but lots of other people do not and by encouraging these strays to hang around, you could be causing major problems for some other visitors. My mother, for instance, is so scared of dogs that she wouldn’t be able to go on the beach if there were stray dogs there.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Malc Dale

Post by Malc Dale »

Just returned from LGC.
Management tried to catch kittens to send to RSPCA. Only managed to catch One of the tabbies and One of the gingers. Mum is busy teaching the other three to catch lizards, toads, and other livestock, despite the ongoing smuggling of best fillet steak by numerous guests. :P
Lorraine

Kittens

Post by Lorraine »

Thanks for the update Malc, hope they're all flourishing and the ones gone to the RSPCA are not missing mum too much. They're probably better off with the RSPCA. Will always remember them.

If anyone else has any news, let us know. Cheers.
Dave Schofield

Post by Dave Schofield »

Hi Lorraine,

Mum is still doing fine, she spends most of her evening around the Caribbean restaurant and appears to be tolerated here. I did not see any of the staff chasing her away.

We only found one kitten which looked very similar to Mum, this one lives further away from the restaurant and I suspect Mum will not let her on her territory now.

It looks as though this could be an ongoing story as Mum is heavily pregnant again!

Dave
Trev C.

Post by Trev C. »

Lorraine,

Flying out next Monday for my first ever trip to tobago, getting excited now........will keep an eye out for the mother and any new additions she has. I have 8 cats that i will be leaving behind whilst away, so i'm pretty sure they will get some tit bits from me and my better half.

Trev
Lorraine

Mum and her kittens

Post by Lorraine »

Great to hear that Mummy cat is flourishing, I think she will be a feature for many a year to come. The "kittens" must be adults now, so she has chased them away to fend for themselves. We saw the Daddy, he looked like "Sylvester" out of Tweetie Pie. Anyone seen him around?

Hope everyone who has replied to my message has enjoyed their holiday as much as we did. We hope to return one day and you never know, there might be a new generation in occupation still! :D

Sylvester and his kids......

Post by Guest »

Lorraine.

Slyvester is doing fine, very timid and weary of all the staff. His youngsters however are much braver. Those little plates of food you get in the evenings go down a treat with them.....

Trev

[Editor: broken image links removed]
EllieMarlow

LGC Cat & Kittens

Post by EllieMarlow »

Hi Lorraine,

Unfortunately, mum is now at the RSPCA. I was at LGC in October and our 'next-door neighbour' had mum living in her room as she was about to give birth. She had 7 kittens on the 4th or 5th. Anyway, our neighbour thought she'd phone the RSPCA and pay for her to be spayed. When they turned up they took her and all 7 kittens away and then would not return her to the hotel. You can phone the RSPCA to find out how she is or make a donation (we nicknamed her Waif - and that's the name she's under at the RSPCA). Alternatively I'm writing to Audrey (the neighbour) next week so as soon as I get a reply I'll let you know more.

The little ginger tabby and the tortoiseshell kitten are both doing fine on the grounds though and look quite fat!

Ellie
Lorraine

"Waif" and her kittens

Post by Lorraine »

Many thanks guys for the news and fab photo, the kittens are definately now cats!

I think "Waif" and her new brood are better off at the RSPCA. She probably needs a good rest after having two litters of kittens this year, she would probably have been onto her third otherwise with Sylvester. What a kind lady that neighbour was, obviously a cat lover.

I'm sure there will still be one or two of the family hanging about when we go back to this lovely hotel, which we plan to do in a few years.

Keep the news coming.
Kevin Houston

lgc and her 5 vermin more like

Post by Kevin Houston »

we were pestered by these filthy flea ridden creatures amongst other animals during our stay. cute maybe. infected definitely.
Cornelia Montgomery

Re: lgc and her 5 vermin more like

Post by Cornelia Montgomery »

Kevin Houston wrote:we were pestered by these filthy flea ridden creatures amongst other animals during our stay. cute maybe. infected definitely.
My, oh my, animal hater are we? No wonder my Scottish terrier has no desire to return to the old country.
David Old

Post by David Old »

Just to keep you up to date with the bundles of fun at the LGC

The ginger Tom is still around but has been joined by a few other Toms

The tortoiseshell is now proud mum to 4 kittens, one tortoiseshell, one ginger, one black and white, and one all black.

They can’t be more than about 8 weeks old and at first were timid but as each day passes their confidence and trust is growing.

You can normally find them hanging around the bushes at the bottom of the stairs leading to the beach from the pool and from my observations quite a few cat lovers are leaving food and treats for them.
Martin Pavey

Post by Martin Pavey »

I've made a simple web site regarding the LGC cats as found during our visit last week.

Click on this link to visit http://www.webtech.co.uk/lgc_cats/

Return to “Le Grand Courlan Resort & Spa”