Grafton

108 room 3*+ All-Inclusive resort at Stone Haven Bay (listing)
Jasmin

Grafton

Post by Jasmin »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 27 November 2002

whats the scrore at the grafton? we are booked there next month but our travel agent is advising us to switch. Why is there no official explanation on this site – surely the site and/or the hotel should be making some formal statement? If youre an official tourist website you should be keeping us informed. Should we risk going to the grafton or change to another resort. They tell me it was only confined to two adjacent hotels. Are they connected? Please, pleae – any help will be a comfort.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Jasmin I appreciate how worrying it must be if your holiday is only a few weeks away. However, we are not an official site – we have absolutely no connection with the official tourism organisations in Trinidad & Tobago. We are not even based on Tobago, but in England. We are private visitors – like your – and are totally reliant on other visitors for much of our information a lot of the time. Having said that, we are trying to get information on the problems. My understanding is that the official tests are not back from the labs in Trinidad so the investigation is probably ongoing. We have notified the hotel of the interest of our readers and hope that they will post a response, but they are probably waiting for the results of the tests themselves. Yes, the two adjacent hotels, Le Grand Courlan and the Grafton are under the same ownership. However, my understanding from Simon’s post (re: Grafton Beach Resort 24 Nov) was that it affected other people in the Courland/Black Rock area – not just people who stayed at the Grafton. The only suggestion I can make at the moment is to email the hotel directly ([email protected]) and ask them for an update. Sorry I can’t be more help.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

I have called Grafton and they told me that they plan to reopen early next week. They will also issue an official statement within the next two days.
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com
Sam

Post by Sam »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 28 November 2002

Just got back and the word is that all cases were specific to people who had stayed at the Grafton or used the facilities of Grafton/Grand Courlan. I reckon Simons party probably had a meal or drink at one or the other. We used Me-Shells restaurant and were OK (although the restaurant was nothing to write home about).
Neil

Post by Neil »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 30 November 2002

I have just returned fromTobago yesterday. I was booked to stay at the Grafton for two weeks. On the day after I arrived I was aware that a number of guests were getting sick but I wasnt too worried. On the third day our rep, Susan (Tropical Places) came and explained the situation and offered to move us to the Hilton. She said that they still werent aware of the exact nature of the illness and the standard procedure would be to isolate guests until it was known what the illness was. However as British Airways Holidays had already moved their guests Tropical Places decided to do the same. I moved to the Hilton where I had the most relaxing holiday that I have ever had. I will happily write a bit about the Grafton (based on my 3 days) and the Hilton in a day or two. My understanding of the situation now is as follows: The illness was caused by 3 different strains of bacteria which had got into the water supply after flooding. As far as I could ascertain this was not a reflection on the hygiene standards at either hotel. The hotel did not close completely as they were still taking guests who had booked directly. Tropical Places will not be putting guests in either hotel 'in the mean time'.I dont know about other tour operators. The situation did not spoil my holiday at all. I loved Tobago and will go back. I was quite happy with Grafton and if the illness had not occured I think that I would have had a good holiday there. As it was, I loved the Hilton and had a great holiday. I have worked for a number of tour operators a few years ago and I have seen operations and reps of all standards. I was very impressed with the Tropical Places team (Susan and Ava) they kept us informed throughout and acted swiftly when the need arose. Thanks again for your website, knowing what I wanted to do and see before I want helped to make a great holiday.

Return to “Grafton Beach Resort”