2020 Hurricane Season

Weather reports, questions and comment.
Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

2020 Hurricane Season

Post by Paul Tallet »

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Well the season starts officially on 1st June but, of course, Mother Nature doesn't keep a diary other than a vague seasonal attitude.

So why not surprise us all with a development that has ominously started winding itself up between Cuba and the Florida Peninsula on the 14th May?

So … is this Arthur? Is it going to be bad / powerful / deadly or just a rain event that can bring widespread impacts according to the speed and track of this system?

Well, it's looking slow and the NHC are giving this system a 70% chance of becoming Tropical Storm or Hurricane Arthur within 48 hours. Or 80% within 5 days as it progresses just south of Florida Keys and possibly through the Bahamas. This sets up more of a rain event although the wind factor is unpredictable and even if this does not develop into a Hurricane there could be localised Hurricane conditions here and there.

Watch this space for updates.

Please note that the weekly Liquid Sunshine updates will return as soon as Tobago re-opens it doors and if you can find anyone that can fly you there !!

Regards
Paul Tallet
Public Relations Consultant for Mother Nature

Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Re: 2020 Hurricane Season

Post by Paul Tallet »

LITTLE CHANGE

The NHC have nudged up the short term risk of Storm development from 70% to 80%. The 5 day risk has stayed at 80%.

Even if this system becomes a Tropical Storm or Hurricane it is expected to be more of a rain event for Florida and the Bahamas this weekend.

As always I will post updates if anything changes.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

FIRST STORM OF 2020?

This early system seems to be getting it's act together. The estimated centre has slipped to the east of Florida and is expected to move slowly north off the east coast of the US. A landfall is a possibility in North Carolina.

The NHC has just raised the chances of storm development from 80% to 100% so I guess they must think this is a banker although while the storm is getting more organised they need to find a central closed circulation before they can name it.

Rain threats are reducing because the system is expected to stay off the eastern US coast until it reaches North Carolina however the seas are likely to be dangerous all the way up the US east coast.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TROPICAL STORM ARTHUR FORMS EAST OF FLORIDA

The NHC's designation of the first Storm of the 2020 Hurricane season took place late last night BST.

It's nothing exceptional and I am posting it for the record, however there will be some heavy seas along the east coast of the US and, while landfall is not expected, the Storm will pass close to North Carolina (Monday) before turning away towards the mid Atlantic.

A tiny chance that Bermuda could be affected further down the road but the sea temperatures are a little on the low side to sustain a Storm at this time of year.

Unless anything dramatic happens I will make this my last post on Tropical Storm Arthur and I hope that the season gets going later in August / September … wishful thinking on my part!

Regards
Paul Tallet

Paul Tallet
Weather Guru

Post by Paul Tallet »

TROPICAL STORM BERTHA

The second surprise of the 2020 Hurricane season is Tropical Storm Bertha.

Well, actually, it was … because as soon as the Storm exploded unexpectedly off the east coast of Florida it quickly moved into the Carolinas and weakened on landfall.

So I am posting this for the record.

Regards
Paul Tallet

Return to “Weather”